Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power outlet is always on

Waine

I have noticed that the power outlet (cigar lighter) is always on if I leave something like my dashcam plugged in even when the engine is off. Is this supposed to be like this?

i fear that if I leave my dashcam plugged in it will discharge the battery overnight. 

Sometimes it will go off after about 30 mins, not 100% sure on yours.

Otherwise you may want to hard wire it in to a switched live feed/fuse.

• Like 1

Yeah for some reason Fords keep the lighter socket permanently powered, is the same on my 2008 Focus and Dads 2001 Mondeo, seems like an ideal way to drain the battery to me lol.

Hardwiring the camera to a switched live is the best idea unless you're using park mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waine said:

I have noticed that the power outlet (cigar lighter) is always on if I leave something like my dashcam plugged in even when the engine is off. Is this supposed to be like this?

i fear that if I leave my dashcam plugged in it will discharge the battery overnight. 

my old 2009 fiesta zetec was permanently on. it was normal . my 2015 zetec goes off with ignition. a few times in my old one i left dash cam connected over night by accident and it was fine

• Like 1

Thanx for your reply. It's going to be a pain. 

How would I hardwire it in? And how much would that cost at a garage?

Use a piggyback fusetap and buy a hard wire kit off eBay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just for info - my 2014 Fiesta front lighter socket goes on/off with the ignition. The rear socket is always live.

(still looking for the ashtray) ;)

Yes, new. I didn't know there was such a thing as a smokers pack :)

It was an optional extra on Skoda's back in 2006 when my Mum bought one, basically you got a lighter instead of the plastic 12v blank and an ashtray as well.  They may have stopped that option altogether now though, not sure!

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It was an optional extra on Skoda's back in 2006 when my Mum bought one, basically you got a lighter instead of the plastic 12v blank and an ashtray as well.  They may have stopped that option altogether now though, not sure!

Think its RARE that they come with cig packs now as its often frowned upon (Smoking and driving) - Its not exactly safe having cig in mouth, hot lighter in one hand and wheel in the other hand - trying to drive with two hot objects. Think it was a safety thing that they aren't in cars much more (or at all).

Laws are getting tighter on smoking in cars now, so I guess manufacturers don't want to encourage smoking inside cars by providing lighters.

A smokers pack is just the cig lighter and an ashtray... well my mk3 mondeo came with this complementary....I remember one of my aunties cars back in the seventies...had ashtrays in the back of the front seats...ahhhh the smell of your mam and dad's ciggies mixed with 5 star leaded fuel fumes made for a great (if spaced out) day out....:)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club