Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction - Service Now

jodyjones1982

Hi all

Finally picked up my 12-plate Focus Titanium 1.6 diesel (59k) on Thursday last week, but have returned it to dealer tonight for "repair" and the dreaded "Engine Malfunction - service Now" message came up yesterday.

Now the problem seems to be that when I hit 3000rpm in 3rd and 4th gears the EM message appears and it goes into "limp-home" mode. I called the AA out, but the error is resetting itself immediately, so no codes readable! After eventually replicating the problem the AA bloke finally came up with P228C - Low Fuel Pressure and P165C -  Electronic Thermostat. The car was/is OK to drive below 3000rpm, but for a car I've just paid for its not acceptable.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read that it could be something to do with the glow plug relay, others say the turbo, I've also seen the DPF mentioned but can't see that myself (very limited knowledge here).

I have every faith in the dealer repairing it, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences and what your outcomes were!

Thanks

Jody

• Sad 1

Hi Jody,

99% certain that this is the exact same issue when I had a C-Max 1.6 TDCi, loss of power at 3000 rpm, limp mode, etc. This happened to me on two separate occasions, and both were fixed with a new fuel filter. Also, both occasions were in very low temperatures (near freezing), where the filter had built up a layer of wax which became more solid with the cold. This caused lower fuel flow, which then gives you the low pressure. 

No idea about the electronic thermostat, probably a separate issue or an old error code.

Not the easiest filter to change, best left to a Ford dealership's mechanics.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve

Near freezing temperatures in my experiences too!! Sounds very similar, you've given a great explanation, I've read many posts struggling to explain the issue, thank you!

It's back at the dealer now (Carshop Cardiff) who have booked it in with a Ford main dealer (Fordthorne Cardiff) for Tuesday, hopefully they'll given me an explanation instead of just handing the car back.

I'm assuming your issues ceased after the filter was replaced?

Many thanks

Jody

It is the fuel filter most of the time on your age of focus 1.6 tdci. Replacement intervals are 37.5k but quite often they block up before that.

• Like 3

No problem Jody.

Yes, replacing the filter sorted it out each time.

As Ian said, the Ford dealer said that the filter should be changed every 37.5k miles, but they recommended every year. The cost was £100 to buy and install the fuel filter, but they recommended that I had a major Motorcraft 4+ service every year which includes a fuel filter change and only costs £195.

http://www.busseys.co.uk/ford/servicing/motorcraft-4-years/

• Like 2

On 2/21/2016 at 6:56 PM, iantt said:

It is the fuel filter most of the time on your age of focus 1.6 tdci. Replacement intervals are 37.5k but quite often they block up before that.

So that's why it's suggested to take it for  a high-revs run every month is it, to give the filter a bit of a blast? Or is that solely for the DPF regeneration thing?

On second thoughts, perhaps it's the same thing, lol

On 2/23/2016 at 0:24 AM, jodyjones1982 said:

So that's why it's suggested to take it for  a high-revs run every month is it, to give the filter a bit of a blast? Or is that solely for the DPF regeneration thing?

On second thoughts, perhaps it's the same thing, lol

High-rev runs won't do anything to the filter, it's as you said, to try and clear the DPF. It wouldn't necessarily do a regeneration as there's a few factors that need to be met to trigger it.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2016 at 8:16 PM, SteveGSXR600K1 said:

Hi Jody,

99% certain that this is the exact same issue when I had a C-Max 1.6 TDCi, loss of power at 3000 rpm, limp mode, etc. This happened to me on two separate occasions, and both were fixed with a new fuel filter. Also, both occasions were in very low temperatures (near freezing), where the filter had built up a layer of wax which became more solid with the cold. This caused lower fuel flow, which then gives you the low pressure. 

No idea about the electronic thermostat, probably a separate issue or an old error code.

Not the easiest filter to change, best left to a Ford dealership's mechanics.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, Ian, you were spot on, Ford have today confirmed it is the fuel filter!! Fingers crossed it'll be back by the weekend for me

• Like 2

Sweet!

Just make sure you go for that full Motorcraft service every year to get the fuel filter replaced as part of it.

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I've got a titanium x 2l desiel and I've had the problem since last June and they put a new turbo in for me cos they think it's something to do with that but today after a month having it back the light come back nd so I'm a bit annoyed with it but don't know what else it can be tbh any idea please 

could be a different fault, needs the dtcs reading . what was original fault that needed turbo?

I don't know ford decided to change the turbo cos they couldn't find the problem cos it kept going into limp mode nd stuff and they reckon it's the turbo so they payed for a new turbo and just come back on today 

• 3 months later...

Hi, Did You Get Your 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Fixed In The End ???? If So What Was The Problem As I have The Same Issue !

I'm having the same issue myself on an mk3 Fcus Titanium X 2.0 TDCi. I had a guy read fault codes on a computer this morning but none came up so going to have to take it to a garage tomorrow to get a full check done. What requirements need to be met for the car to regen if it is the DPF? I have tried ragging it down the motorway to no avail. Hoping that it could just be a faulty sensor or something simple like the fuel filter and nothing major/expensive. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 11:14 PM, jodyjones1982 said:

Hi all

Finally picked up my 12-plate Focus Titanium 1.6 diesel (59k) on Thursday last week, but have returned it to dealer tonight for "repair" and the dreaded "Engine Malfunction - Service Now" message came up yesterday.

Now the problem seems to be that when I hit 3000rpm in 3rd and 4th gears the EM message appears and it goes into "limp-home" mode. I called the AA out, but the error is resetting itself immediately, so no codes readable! After eventually replicating the problem the AA bloke finally came up with P228C - Low Fuel Pressure and P165C -  Electronic Thermostat. The car was/is OK to drive below 3000rpm, but for a car I've just paid for its not acceptable.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read that it could be something to do with the glow plug relay, others say the turbo, I've also seen the DPF mentioned but can't see that myself (very limited knowledge here).

I have every faith in the dealer repairing it, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences and what your outcomes were!

Thanks

Jody

I've got the same problem  with my car I've just brought ford focus 62 plate did the changing fit this problem at all chreers

If you read a few posts further down they say that was the problem.

I've just had this problem coming home tonight - P228C  Low fuel pressure

Coincided with a pretty cold day and me running the tank nearly dry this morning before I could get to a petrol station.  Limped to garage who read it for me (grrr I have an ELM sat at home...) and said they'd cleared the code and to see how it went as I'd probably dragged some crap out the bottom of the tank.  Also asked when last serviced and according to the book: never!

Book was stamped at 6 miles when new, then owned by Europcar til 58k when Evans Halshaw had it and stamped the book.  The mech and I looked at each other after reading this and both said at the same time "There's no way EH touched it!"

So booked in for fuel filter on Thursday as I had oil and filter done a couple of weeks ago.  Would have had the fuel filter done at the same time if I'd known...

Car drove home perfectly after that though...

• 1 year later...

I have a 62 plate focus estate I turned it off tonight and got some pre egnition I went in to the shop came a kout ten minutes later and car won't start engine malfunction light has come on any ideas car is stuck in a bad place 

• Sad 1

What sort of bad place?  It sounds like no one's going to steal it!  If it's a dangerous place then call breakdown or get it towed out of harm's way.

Which engine is it?  Does it turn over or nothing at all?  Do you know anyone with a fault code reader?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve just had a new engine put in my focus edge 14 plate and I have engine malfunction service engine come up on my dash, then it goes into limp mode for a few seconds/minute, if I turn the engine off and start it back up the problem goes and the engine manigment light goes off, my mechanic says it’s to do with a loose/leaks pipe either on or to do with the turbo????? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

• 3 months later...

Hey Scottaubs,

I'm having the exact same problem at the moment, I've already spent £150 on a new engine fan which didn't solve the issue and the car is due back in the garage on Friday.

Did you manage to resolve the problem?

• 1 year later...

the same message came up on my 2013 focus and i had a full service done by in and out which cleared the messages off my dash and 2 months later the same messages have appeared on my dash i've talked to in and out and they want to charge me more money to check what the problem is with my car 

• Sad 1

I assume that "in and out" is some kind of garage ?

Get yourself a laptop, download FORScan (it's free) and a new 'vLinker FS' connection lead. Then you can fully check the car yourself.

download FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

Buy vLinker FS lead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003116796694.html

• 3 months later...

I have a 13 plate focus 1.6tdci  and that light has come on took it back to the place were a bought it  and they regenerated the dpf said that was what was causing it and on way back home it came back on 

5 minutes ago, Henrymcdonald said:

I have a 13 plate focus 1.6tdci  and that light has come on took it back to the place were z bought  and the regenerated the dpf said that was what was causing it and on way back home it came back on 

Take it back again and tell them they clearly haven't fixed it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club