Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost- turning the engine off

mills705

Having read a few other forum posts at the moment. I was wondering how long do you guys wait before turning the engine off if you own the ecoboost? As it seems you should leave it to cool before turning off? 

I generally just park up, handbrake and then engine off with little time for the turbo to cool. Is that enough? 

How does this work with start/ stop being present?! 

Oh I've never heard that before, I just park up in my driveway start/stop kicks in and I turn off the engine and lock the car. Is this a nono?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The practice of allowing a turbo to cool a little before switching off the engine is as old as time itself - these little ecoboosts spin the turbo @ around 250,000 max' r.p.m. & get literally red hot - so although some will say it's not required - it cannot do any harm

TBH the engines etc are built to be turned off etc sraight away. I simply pull up and turn the engine off - even if its after a 300mile drive. Never thought about having to leave anything to cool as the fan stays on for a while anyway when ive walked away

I leave for extra 10 seconds before switching off and 1 min if i been driving hard

• Like 1

no need fan and water pump will keep going after switch off if further cooling is required. engine should be at tick over befour switching off if start stop hasnt already kicked in

If you've got stop-start, it'll be switching off immediately with that several times a day anyway...

• Like 1

It's not about cooling the turbo, it's about keeping it supplied with oil, sitting idling won't cool the engine down.

turning the engine off when the turbo is at a high speed will mean it spins for a long time with no oil flow, if you drive off boost for a bit or idle for a few seconds before switching off this allows the turbo to slow down, the time with no oil flow is then reduced.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club