Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam belt change and Garage recommendations

myusernameunavailable

hi all, 

i own a ford focus 1.6 zetec  2008 which has now done close to 96K miles. i understand that its now come to a point where i need to get the cam-belt changed. 

i was over to my local garage earlier this week and was quoted £350 for the whole change. When i said i could buy the correct part off eurocarparts (which costs around £20) they lowered the price to "labour and fitting" cost  of £200. I was told its a lot of work to do that. 

Isnt this a bit too steep (even for just labour)?  

I am also close to my MOT date (couple of days) and was hoping to get a major service done along with MOT but having just moved to a new area, i am not entirely aware of good garages here. 

Can i ask for recommendations for good garages on this forum? I am near East Ham/East London 

thanks in advance

wow, for a garage to drop the price suddenly like that means they are probably cowboys and rip people off. i'd walk away as if you hadnt mentioned the price of a cambelt then you would have been ripped off - i bet they would also find other faults that dont exist to bump up the cost.

I was quoted £350 to Supply and fit Belt, Tensioner and Pump. As you rightly say the parts are not that expensive for them to drop the price that much.

thank you all for your replies. 

i had exactly the same thoughts. would people who have had these changed (cambelt/tensioners) suggest how much i am looking at in terms of spend (just so i have a ballpark figure)

any recommendations on a garage? i have had my previous service done at trust ford and dont want to go back there due to their prices. alternatively is there a place i can try finding a good garage? as of now i am looking at yell

thanks 

Is the labour and fitting price with you supplying parts??

cam belt kit and necessary bolts

water pump 

coolant 

aux belt

£300-£350 is probably a reasonable price all in if everything is being changed. 

17 hours ago, stef123 said:

Is the labour and fitting price with you supplying parts??

cam belt kit and necessary bolts

water pump 

coolant 

aux belt

£300-£350 is probably a reasonable price all in if everything is being changed. 

well i only planned to supply the cam belt kit and necessary bolts. nothing else. i however went to someone else yesterday and they quoted £160 for the changing the cam belt and labour (and them supplying parts). i am probably going to go with them and see how it goes. 

many thanks for all your replies. 

there is at least 2-3 hours work, which is 100-150 to start with, , plus parts, coolant, my cam belt, tensioner, idler waterpump, new crank bolt and coolant totalled up to about 100 quid.  300 seems about right, id be cautious if things are too cheap, given the importance of the work being down and the potential cost if its done wrong / poorly id edge on the side of caution and not just shoot to the lowest deal.

or do it yourself :)