Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed battery in key fob

Banks86

Ok so last night I had a warning in the car  saying the battery in the key was low, so this morning I had a look around and found I had a spare battery, I went ahead and changed the battery opened the key took the old one out put the new in I had the key open for less then a minute. After changing it i give the key a try and nothing so I put the old back in and still nothing, just been to Ford and they said you have 10 seconds to change the battery and they would charge £40 to fix it. So I was wondering is this something that Ford can only do or can it be done by someone else or even myself?

IMAG0212_1.jpg

Yeah I have a second key, so it's not too much of a problem just wondering that's all.

Use the key and turn the ignition on 4 times in quick succession and a beep should be heard the system is now in learning mode press a button on the key that no longer works and a beep should be heard. The remote should now be reprogrammed to the car. Assuming it's a normal flip key and not the letters start and unlock of course.

Just looked at the picture again and it's not a flip key. Is there a manual key and is it just for opening the doors?

I assume being a keyless entry car then it will need programming with IDS diagnostics or it may be possible with either elmconfig or Forscan with a modified ELM327 interface.

The reason I asked, is that it should be possible to re-program the key yourself.

Have you checked for the procedure in your manual? I'll have a search and see if I can find it, unless someone else comes along in the mean time :)

did you get the battery the right way around and make sure the metal contacts are making a good contact

ford are having a laugh 

2 minutes ago, simcor said:

Use the key and turn the ignition on 4 times in quick succession and a beep should be heard the system is now in learning mode press a button on the key that no longer works and a beep should be heard. The remote should now be reprogrammed to the car. Assuming it's a normal flip key and not the letters start and unlock of course.

The car has keyless start if that makes any difference to what you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The reason I asked, is that it should be possible to re-program the key yourself.

Have you checked for the procedure in your manual? I'll have a search and see if I can find it, unless someone else comes along in the mean time :)

Ok cheers, not sure if it is the same as what simcor just mentioned.

There should be a plastic cap hat covers the ignition key hole. Remove that use the blade key that is in the remote and follow that procedure. You may need to press the clutch down to disengage the steering lock to turn the key. 

If you look in the focus guides section I did a video how to program the remote should you get stuck. That is for the flip key but it seems the same with the differences I noted here from a Google Search.

Ok so took the cover off and this is what I have found, I am unable to turn the key but if I put the key in the car will start with the push button. I did try and on off 4 time nothing happened, do you have to start the car ever time.

IMAG0214_1.jpg

21 minutes ago, dezwez said:

did you get the battery the right way around and make sure the metal contacts are making a good contact

ford are having a laugh 

Yeah I made sure it was the right way and looked like it was in the same position as the old one

Did you put the clutch down the search I did says you need to depress the clutch to turn the key?

Yeah pressed the clutch and the key will not turn and the steering lock is not on.

I am not sure that the barrel is one that turns as when I take the key out and try start the car using the push button it says key not detected, so it seems it's only there to recognise the key and not be used as a normal ignition barrel.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do using elmconfig or Forscan with a modified ELM327 interface?

Does the start button turn the ignition on and off like it would with the key?

I wonder if with the key in the ignition and turning the ignition on and off 4 times via the start button may do the same procedure?

Or put the key in remove it 4 times? And then back in.

I reckon it may be an option in IDS for the keyless start version but I would not be able to tell without being connected to the car.

Not sure if elm or Forscan can do the letters entry keys without looking into it thinking about it.

Ok I may go give it another go soon, I am in Leeds (LS25, Kippax).

So I tired a few things nothing worked :sad:, i think the only option would be to get it plugged in, do you know anyone in the Leeds area who has the software to try it. Is this something i could do myself with a laptop, i would just need pointing in the right direction for the software and cable needed.

It seems from everything I can find that no one can program those keyless remotes the same as the flip key. I don't know whether Forscan will be able to do them with the extended licence but if it does you would need an ELM327 modified interface to do so.

The only other option seems to be with IDS which I have not had the pleasure of using it on a keyless remote yet, but I am sure I have seen the option available for this.

Do you travel down the M1 at all as far as Chesterfield or Nottingham?

Ok thanks for having a look into it, no sorry I don't travel that way at all.

Definitely has to be done using IDS.

Have you tried calling some local auto locksmiths for quotes?

It only takes a minute or so and shouldn't be anywhere as costly as it would be from Ford.

I will have a look around, I have a second key so at the moment it's not too much of a problem but was just wondering if this could be done somewhere other then Ford and not cost £40 for such a quick job. I will have a look around in a few months and get some quotes.

Thanks everyone for your help much appreciated.😁

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club