Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with DPF

Clarkey111

Hello I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise. 

I recently bought a focus 1.6TDCi 2010 

when I come to a junction and slow down its as if the car looses power I have nothing then it kicks in and looses it again I took it to garage and they said it's a DPF fault but also showing intercooler fault it only seems to happen on a long journey if I drive 15-20 miles it's fine I do more like 100 it's plays up ( not often I do long journeys ) can anyone shine some light on the matter I have talked to my mechanic about removing it but it's costly any other solutions? The car has done 64k 

any feedback would be helpful 

thanks 

When was the car last serviced ?

I would advise changing the fuel filter and air filter before you spend needless money on stuff you may not need.

I also just bought a 2010 Zetec a few weeks back that was running poor, first i changed the air filter as that was looking shocking... but the problem remained, then I changed the Fuel filter which sorted out the problem your are describing above.

This is the filter I bought http://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/FORD/Focus%20II/1.6%20TDCi%20Duratorq%20%28T72517%29/Fuel%20Filter/WK%20939~13 

from eurocarparts, I bought the Bosch air filter as well, but was advised after that I should of got the MAN filter! anyway all works just dandy.

If you do this yourself, you may be better off buying 1 of these http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Fiesta_1.6_2010/p/tools/car-service-tools/general-engine-tools/fuel-and-injection-tools/?SEAVSE055&0&t5_413 to pull the fuel through the filter I used an old/new washing machine hose which had an ID of 9mm which fits perfectly on the filter.

Also screwfix do 1 but I can't find the link at this moment in time, will update when I find it.

Here you go http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-fuel-transfer-tool-8mm/85358

I was looking at this website http://www.dpfcleanteam.co.uk/ for getting my DPF clean, but I didn't need that doing yet.

2 hours ago, Gary321 said:

When was the car last serviced ?

I would advise changing the fuel filter and air filter before you spend needless money on stuff you may not need.

I also just bought a 2010 Zetec a few weeks back that was running poor, first i changed the air filter as that was looking shocking... but the problem remained, then I changed the Fuel filter which sorted out the problem your are describing above.

The car is overdue a service I'm going to do that soon anyway would that help resolve the problem?

I drove 370m round trip a few weeks ago, and as you have pointed out after exiting junctions the car appears flat - if I read your post correctly, you have had the same issue of sorts. So anyway I changed my fuel filter last week after a mechanic said "NOOO them Filters Do Thousands Of Miles it wont be that!" my car now runs fine.

Very easy job to do 20mins max

• Like 2

Definetly change the fuel filter, but be aware that a diesel is not good for only short journeys - especially one fitted with a DPF

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gary321 said:

I drove 370m round trip a few weeks ago, and as you have pointed out after exiting junctions the car appears flat - if I read your post correctly, you have had the same issue of sorts. So anyway I changed my fuel filter last week after a mechanic said "NOOO them Filters Do Thousands Of Miles it wont be that!" my car now runs fine.

Very easy job to do 20mins max

Thank you for the info I will keep posted how I get on.  

• 2 months later...

Ok here is an update just encase anyone comes across this type of problem

i eventually took the car to ford and after hours of trying to find a problem they come to the conclusion it was a faulty throttle body ( all other mechanics I spoke to said that is very unlikely ) I decided to take it off to try and give it a clean and found a bent pin in one of the sensors fixed that with a screwdriver and the car now runs like a dream ( ford wanted to charge me a lot of money for this ) fingers crossed all sorted now 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club