Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New (to me) Focus nightmare scenario

Hitchhiker

Hi

I have recently been faced with that nightmare scenario anyone who buys a second hand car might face.  Four days after buying a Focus 1.6 Diesel Titanium (2011), the timing belt went.  There was only 46 000 miles on the clock and although the car was not serviced by Ford, it had been well looked after (I got it off a family member so I know where it had been from new).

Has anyone else heard of a timing belt going so early?  What are the options at that point?  Scrap it?  New engine? Reconditioned engine? Second hand engine from a breaker?  Repair the engine? 

I'd welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

I've heard of belts snapping early on some engines but not these!!  I reckon something internal has happened that then took the belt out. 

Probably not worth repairing the engine depending how extensive the internal damage is, takes a lot of labour time to strip and check the engine.  Brand new engine will cost ridiculous amounts.  Personally I'd find a good used one that can be seen running and fit that - with a new belt just in case lol.  Recon engine should be good in theory but I've seen so many engine recon companies on Watchdog I'm not sure I could trust any!

Oh god! That's !Removed! madness I am in a state of panic now really hope this doesn't happen to me.

But as Tom said try looking for a reconditioned engine and perhaps just see what Ford have to say on the matter. 

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - and sympathy.

The Ford dealership I took it to were not sympathetic.  They gave me the bad news when I had the car towed there, and then made it abundantly clear that there was no way Ford would listen to any suggestion they might like to help with costs due to the ridiculously low mileage.  They just wanted to be clear that it was out of warranty.  While I know that is the case, I wondered if they might show some reasonable sympathy in the situation.  All they did was give me a quote for a huge price to fit a new engine.  I'm not inclined to use Ford Main Dealers - their prices are ridiculous.

Where did you buy the car?  If it was any sort of trade deal you should have warranty through that. 

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Where did you buy the car?  If it was any sort of trade deal you should have warranty through that. 

He said in his original post he got it from a family member, so no warranty.

Oops, not sure how I missed that! :mellow:

That's a rough situation then, whatever happens you'll have to spend a fair chunk of money, Ford aren't even interested in fixing cars when they ARE still in warranty. :laugh:

• Like 1

The thing to try is just replace the timing belt, making sure everything is lined up.

Most of the time the car works.

It's happened and it's easier then buying a new engine and is a definite answer, before ripping the engine apart. 

So change the timing belt as a kit and you might be lucky.

There's no way it'll work with just a new belt.  At the very least some valves will be bent or some rockers will have snapped.

• Like 1

Is the 1.6 tdci a non  interference engine? If it is get it compression tested fit new timing belt, you might get lucky. If it's an interference engine, I would start to strip the engine, (it won't cost you anything but your time and maybe some tools and a Haynes manual) see if you can assess the damage or have a decent independent garage inspect it after you've stripped it. That way you know the extent of the damage to the original engine. Then you can decide if a second hand engine with new all new belts etc is a cheaper alternative than a repair/rebuild of the existing block. Forget a brand new engine I would keep the broken engine and salvage as much and sell as much on eBay and gumtree or keep as spares? 

Just wondering if it would be a good time to get clutch and dmf replaced if you plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future? Or maybe you just want to flog it once it repaired the most economical way? 

I hope things work out for you. 

Fiat punto 1.2 8v is safe engine don't know of any others.  so the timing belt is 160000 miles or 10 years?

quick search came up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-focus-2012-T1DB-1-6-tdci-DIESEL-ENGINE-52k-Citreon-Peugeot-11-15-/262305284247?hash=item3d129d0097:g:ffMAAOSwWTRWzbSo

1.6 is definatly an interference engine, will have done damage for sure. head needs to come off to see if damage is head only related and see why belt broke,

• Like 1

well the belts usually last it could be the tensioner that went taking the belt out which ford will claim a service with them would have noticed fords are usually all interference engines ide still call ford uk not the dealer and speak to them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club