Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

My new 1996 Peugeot 405 Quasar 1.9 Turbo Diesel

jmurray01

Well, I thought I'd create a new thread for my recent acquisition rather than overload the "things I do like" thread with photos!

I paid just shy of £600 for it, with 122,000 miles on the clock and in overall superb condition.  There are a few things that need attention, such as the sunroof, N/S/F door lock motor and drivers seat (it's worn but an immaculate replacement was included in the sale, just needs fitted).

Unfortunately the MOT expires in May, but it has passed every MOT since 2007, so I don't expect any issues there - except maybe the handbrake which needs adjusting (it holds the car but has no reserve travel).

As for the XUD9 engine, well, it lives up to its reputation in every aspect.  Starts right up from cold even on a freezing evening (-2*C), gets excellent fuel economy and past 3,000RPM will overtake any vehicle without even trying.

The alloys are a bit rough, but in any event I'd be looking to replace them with the original 8-spoke alloys as the current ones are from the Executive model (I believe).  Whilst they are very nice, I'd want the originals but will keep these to perhaps put winter tyres on to. 

Anyway, today we took it out to get a full-tank of diesel and give it a quick jet wash until I get around to cleaning it "properly" myself, or paying someone else to!!

As luck would have it the weather was wonderful here in NE Scotland, so I got some decent photos:

WP_20160227_15_24_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.b3796

WP_20160227_15_24_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.2a364

WP_20160227_15_25_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.224b9WP_20160227_15_24_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.5825aWP_20160227_15_08_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.ea254

And home (yes the Primera is filthy - I'm aware!)

WP_20160227_17_10_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.3fe6c

• Like 1

That's your own car then!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

That's your own car then!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It is indeed, just need to get my licence now...

• Like 2

Very nice! Rare car and never seen one in that colour. 306 wheels though? Ours had those (also N reg), I love them. :laugh:

Enjoy & look after it...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Very nice! Rare car and never seen one in that colour. 306 wheels though? Ours had those (also N reg), I love them. :laugh:

Enjoy & look after it...

They are "Harrier" alloys, which were used on both the 306 and 405 in 1996.  The colour is "Aquamarine Green", and I've only seen one in person and that was a few years ago parked at the side of the road.  Thinking back, it may have even been my 405 given that the previous owner (who lived nearby) owned it since 2007. 

Interesting! I think the wheels suit it if I'm honest, maybe they'd make a good winter set? That's possible! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Interesting! I think the wheels suit it if I'm honest, maybe they'd make a good winter set? That's possible! 

Well that was/is my plan.  All four tyres are in good enough condition (legal treads and no damage, but mixed brands so I won't be keeping for long), so I think what I'll do is leave them as they are until this coming winter (October/November) when I'll get 4 winters fitted.  In the spring next year I'll probably get another set of alloys and put summer tyres on them, then alternate every year. 

If I choose to just keep the current alloys then I'll definitely be getting them reconditioned.  If they are only going to be used for winter tyres I wouldn't bother (for obvious reasons).

Sounds good! Yeah matching tyres are better, even if they just match on each axle. I'd probably be pedantic enough to say it needs Michelin tyres because it's French...:rolleyes: I doubt you are though! :laugh:

Nice to see one of these being cared for though, I hope to get a 306 to cherish someday. Look forward to the updates! 

17 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Sounds good! Yeah matching tyres are better, even if they just match on each axle. I'd probably be pedantic enough to say it needs Michelin tyres because it's French...:rolleyes: I doubt you are though! :laugh:

Nice to see one of these being cared for though, I hope to get a 306 to cherish someday. Look forward to the updates! 

Well, I could be persuaded if they were the right price...  I love the Yokohama W.Drive V905 winter tyres we have on the Nissan, but of course I'd be looking for all-seasons or summers.  Did Peugeots originally come with Michelins in the 1990s, does anybody know?

You should get a 306 as soon as you can, because they are still pretty popular at the moment (even N-reg models) and therefore cheap, but if you wait a few more years until they are as rare as the 405s then you'll pay a lot more for one in good condition. 

Would you be looking for a petrol or diesel model?  Knowing how powerful the 1.9TD is in the full-size 405, I can only imagine how sprightly it would be in a 306.

I *believe* so, but maybe it was different with the 206 and 306 as they were built in the UK? I know that most new Peugeot now have Michelins and our 207 had them from new.

Yeah I'm just trying to convince my dad, he has the room (expect his garden can flood and be under 4ft of water!) Just he doesn't want "an old banger" in his garden. My mum would let me but no room there! She thinks he will be more accommodating once I pass my test...

I don't know, I'd quite like a 2.0 XSi Phase 1 or 2 like ours but if the perfect car came up and it was a D-Turbo I'd take it! I don't like diesels but those power plants are legendary! 

Harriers are awful, I've had to scrap a couple of sets as I couldn't even give them away! :laugh: Closely followed by Swallows which are almost as bad...  Sold a couple of sets of those with tyres for £20.

306s came with the terrible P6000 tyres as standard...it's a wonder more didn't end up in ditches, not a tyre to use in the rain. :tongue:  Pretty sure the 405s did as well, but also had the option of Dunlops or Michelin - however none of the tyres on the sticker in the car will still be made now (!Removed! good job too 20 years later!) so don't buy tyres based on the handbook/pressure sticker. :smile:

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Harriers are awful, I've had to scrap a couple of sets as I couldn't even give them away! :laugh: Closely followed by Swallows which are almost as bad...  Sold a couple of sets of those with tyres for £20.

306s came with the terrible P6000 tyres as standard...it's a wonder more didn't end up in ditches, not a tyre to use in the rain. :tongue:  Pretty sure the 405s did as well, but also had the option of Dunlops or Michelin - however none of the tyres on the sticker in the car will still be made now (!Removed! good job too 20 years later!) so don't buy tyres based on the handbook/pressure sticker. :smile:

Yeah, with that in mind - what tyres are Vauxhall Corsas fitted with? :unsure:

Anyway, I think I'll go with the Kumho Ecowing as they have a B-rating for wet performance and fuel efficiency.  That is if I don't just end up leaving the winter tyres on all year (which I may well do if we keep getting cold patches throughout March and April.

Or of course, there are those all-season tyres with winter tread.

In all seriousness Corsa's probably come with eco-friendly low rolling resistance tyres as most cars do these days.  Whoever looked at a tyre and decided they need less grip to save emissions was an idiot.

Never had proper winter tyres myself but mud & snow tyres are rubbish on a warm dry road in my experience.  If you want to leave them on all year try something like the new crossclimates.  Or stick with a decent wet-grip summer tyre, but bear in mind they get a bit hard below ~5c which is noticeable.

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

In all seriousness Corsa's probably come with eco-friendly low rolling resistance tyres as most cars do these days.  Whoever looked at a tyre and decided they need less grip to save emissions was an idiot.

Never had proper winter tyres myself but mud & snow tyres are rubbish on a warm dry road in my experience.  If you want to leave them on all year try something like the new crossclimates.  Or stick with a decent wet-grip summer tyre, but bear in mind they get a bit hard below ~5c which is noticeable.

It is all about saving fuel these days, not about actually saving lives!!

Yes I might try those winter-oriented all-seasons, but I've got plenty of time to think about it as I won't be doing anything for the next 8 months at least. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club