Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Cleaning Method

Tarn

I'm wondering about the correct procedure for applying products to my Focus.

I'm using Meguiars Gold Class wash, with Meguiars microfibre mitt. I'm drying with some small microfibre towels at the moment. I'm then applying Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish, and then Meguiars Carnuba Wax. 

I'm looking to buy some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 to restore some slight swirl marks, am I best applying this BEFORE the polish, immediately after drying? I figure once the car has been waxed then it won't be as effective, if effective at all?

Also, I'm planning on washing and polishing once a week, and waxing maybe once a month. Does this sound like a solid method?

If anyone can recommend any other/better products then I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Should try some autobrite stuff, did my focus with turtle wax wash & wax using a mitt, rinsed with clean water, dried with a microfibre towel, coated with Autobrite liquid gloss (spray wax with carnuba) then topped off with a coat of project 32 paint sealer/gloss.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

My routine is....

Jet wash to get it wet.. snow foam.. Make a brew whilst I let it drip off.. Jet wash the snow foam off.. Wash with whatever shampoo I have to hand - Two bucket method, with a microfiber mitt. Rinse with the hose, don't jet wash it. Dry with micro fibre towels.

If I have the time I'll spray autoglym aquawax on after the rinse.. Push this around with a damp microfiber and then buff off.

• Like 1

Thanks to the pair of for the replies. 

paulyinthenorth, do you not bother with the polish stage then? Or does that autoglym product act as both polish and wax?

And does anybody have any advice on which point of the process I should apply the Scratch X2.0?

There's also the odd stone chip around the bonnet and one or two blemishes that I'd like to see to. Having done some research, I really don't feel confident enough to start sanding areas down and reapplying paint. Is there a "magical" way of removing these without having to go to such lengths? Or is the only other option taking it to a professional?

Thanks guys.

My method for full detail (maybe only do all of this two / three times a year) is:

Spray car down with a hand pressure pump and Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash 

Pressure wash the car to rinse of the Citrus Pre Wash

Pressure wash with Shampoo in the nilfisk foam attachment

Rise with either pressure washer or hose

Wash with two bucket wash method and microfibre mitts

Dry with microfibre

clay with clay mitt and quick detailer - (maybe only do all of this two / three times a year)

Dry

Polish - Meguiar's ultimate compound - I would use the Scratch X 2.0 on anything your polish didn't resolve (I have only ever used this on small areas to improve a few scratches, never on a full car) - (maybe only do all of this two / three times a year)

Seal - Poorboys EX-P - (maybe only do all of this two / three times a year)

Wax - Meguiar's Tech Wax 2 - but just bought some Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax so i think that will become my go to wax based on reviews I have read

Top up wax protection with CSP High Gloss Wax Spritzer

Polishing once a week is far to much, polishing removes paint as it is abrasive - this should only be done to rectify issues with the paint maybe two or three times a year I would say.

Waxing maybe once a month. - This sounds ok but I would just do that after washing the car, maybe invest in a quick detailer to use in bewtween waxes or a product like CSP High Gloss Wax Spritzer which you spray on after washing and rinsing the car.

I got this finish from the process above minus the Scratch X

20160214_162731_HDR_zpsaqnb9csq.jpg

20160214_162642_HDR_zps58evsixy.jpg

19 hours ago, Russ said:

Should try some autobrite stuff, did my focus with turtle wax wash & wax using a mitt, rinsed with clean water, dried with a microfibre towel, coated with Autobrite liquid gloss (spray wax with carnuba) then topped off with a coat of project 32 paint sealer/gloss.

Car looks good, I would use a sealer on the paint before a wax generally.

2 hours ago, bwoody said:

Car looks good, I would use a sealer on the paint before a wax generally.

There was a coat of project 32 already on from the other week hence the liquid gloss then another of project 32. It's more of a quick detailer with paint sealing properties but doesn't half give a good shine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ said:

There was a coat of project 32 already on from the other week hence the liquid gloss then another of project 32. It's more of a quick detailer with paint sealing properties but doesn't half give a good shine

Cool, I think I would have still layered the project 32 and then the liquid gloss. Having said that maybe it doesn't make much difference.

I am loving the CSP High Gloss Wax Spritzer - simply spray it on and rinse off, amazing product. I also really like Poorboys qd+ as a quick top up product.

Well here's the method/products I eventually plumped for.

Hosed down, washed with Meguiars Gold Class using Meguiars lambs wool mitt. Dryed with microfibre towels. Polish applied, Meguiars deep crystal polish. Wax applied, meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax. Windows cleaned with glass cleaner. Was thinking of going round the black interior plastics with a little silicone spray, sprayed directly onto a microfibre rag. Can anyone tell me I really shouldn't do this? I figure as long as I get it nowhere near the paint ill be ok?

Anyway, here's the results of that clean. I probably do this routine once every 4-6 weeks...in the meantime I'll wash and acquire some quick detailer. I've been  warned off auto glym but what's everyone's thoughts? It's half the price of meguiars! 

rps20160306_142610.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, you shouldn't be doing the Polish that often as it's an abrasive, just wash and top up the wax. Polish two or three times a year I would say. 

On 06/03/2016 at 6:23 PM, bwoody said:

Looks good, you shouldn't be doing the Polish that often as it's an abrasive, just wash and top up the wax. Polish two or three times a year I would say. 

Cheers buddy. How about a quick detailer after the wash? What's the thought on autoglym v Meguiars detailer?

• Like 1

I have only used megs quick detailer while claying, I haven't used a qd after wash.  Check out CSP High Gloss Wax Spritzer, really good product. Spray on after final rinse, then rinse the car again and dry. Gives the car a really slick gloss finish and tops up the level of protection everytime you use it so perfect for between waxing. I don't think there is really much point in using a qd after washing as it isn't adding wax etc

https://www.cspdetailing.com/store/product/11/

You could also look at spray wax detailers like Poorboys qd+

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/poorboys-quick-detailer-plus-cat14.html

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club