Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking when changing gear (53 Fiesta)

thatguyuk

Hey guys,

I've got quite an annoying problem with my Fiesta right now, which has been ongoing for a few months. Basically when changing up gears and occasionally when shifting down, I get a clunk when the clutch gets to the biting point. I can come off the clutch as quick as I want and it wont do it, but if I put my foot on the accelerator and bring the clutch up it'll clunk. It does it especially when I change up at low engine speeds, so particularly when going into 2nd when going around 10mph.

Now I bought this car second hand in April and for a while it never seemed to do, and I certainly didn't notice for the first month or so of owning it, but I'm not sure if it was just me getting used to the way the car drives (I owned a pretty terrible Corsa before that!)

I took it to Ford to see what it could be and got told it sounded like a normal Fiesta, and that it was simply backlash. Considering I've driven another Fiesta that didn't do it, and I've been in other Fiesta's that didn't do it, I find that a bit !Removed! to be honest.

What do you guys reckon? Does that sound normal? It seems to get a bit worse after driving for a while, although I don't know if this is me being a tad paranoid.

I asked if it was engine mounts but he said if it was anything like that he would have heard it. Was I being fobbed off? Cos I would have thought Ford would try to tell me anything was wrong just to make some money. Hopefully this can be solved so I can start enjoying driving the car again.

Hey guys,

I've got quite an annoying problem with my Fiesta right now, which has been ongoing for a few months. Basically when changing up gears and occasionally when shifting down, I get a clunk when the clutch gets to the biting point. I can come off the clutch as quick as I want and it wont do it, but if I put my foot on the accelerator and bring the clutch up it'll clunk. It does it especially when I change up at low engine speeds, so particularly when going into 2nd when going around 10mph.

Now I bought this car second hand in April and for a while it never seemed to do, and I certainly didn't notice for the first month or so of owning it, but I'm not sure if it was just me getting used to the way the car drives (I owned a pretty terrible Corsa before that!)

I took it to Ford to see what it could be and got told it sounded like a normal Fiesta, and that it was simply backlash. Considering I've driven another Fiesta that didn't do it, and I've been in other Fiesta's that didn't do it, I find that a bit !Removed! to be honest.

What do you guys reckon? Does that sound normal? It seems to get a bit worse after driving for a while, although I don't know if this is me being a tad paranoid.

I asked if it was engine mounts but he said if it was anything like that he would have heard it. Was I being fobbed off? Cos I would have thought Ford would try to tell me anything was wrong just to make some money. Hopefully this can be solved so I can start enjoying driving the car again.

There was a posting recently about this, and it WAS a mounting. A nylon one is available. oil degrades rubber, and the mount was low down, and at risk from oil spillage, and just old-age can do it. I remember having to fit a stabilising strut to the top of 2 Minis I had as a youth.

There was a posting recently about this, and it WAS a mounting. A nylon one is available. Oil degrades rubber, and the mount was low down, and at risk from oil spillage, and just old-age can do it. I remember having to fit a stabilising strut to the top of 2 Minis I had as a youth.

So it does sound like I was fobbed off then? Should any garage be able to fit nylon mountings or is this just a Ford thing? I'm gonna take the car into another garage to get them to check the mounts probably.

I really didn't think this was normal for a Fiesta and it seems like I was right.

I phoned a garage today, and he told me that it does sound like a gearbox problem, most likely mounts. He also said though that some do seem to clunk and that they can do it for years and never breakdown cos of it.

Hopefully he just says it's mounts when it's looked at and I can finally have a solution to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took it to another garage and they said it's likely a gearbox mount, and they said the gearbox mount had some play in it. I've taken it in to be changed only it's still doing it a bit. What else could it be? I don't know whether to just ignore and just accept this is going to happen sometimes.

I mean, is backlash a normal thing?

Well, I took it to another garage and they said it's likely a gearbox mount, and they said the gearbox mount had some play in it. I've taken it in to be changed only it's still doing it a bit. What else could it be? I don't know whether to just ignore and just accept this is going to happen sometimes.

I mean, is backlash a normal thing?

they all do it.

some are worse than others.

mine only does it when it hasnt been use din a while.

my mates does it alot.

aparently there just crap gearboxes, mind you only usaly up to mk5 there is problems.

what milage has your car done?

It's done 59,000. I'm thinking of just giving up and accepting it's a bit annoying. Otherwise I'm going to go mad thinking about it and I'm just never going to enjoy using my car. :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club