Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pads and Discs - Which brand?

Spikecast

Hi all, 

Just had a major service done on the Focus today (MK3 2012) and its running like a dream. The guy I used advised that my pads are 70% worn and my discs could do with changing as they are the original's from new. I'm wondering which brand people would recommend? I was looking at just buying original ford ones from the ford parts uk website but if there is something better I don't mind paying more, just don't want to use cheap discs and pads. Any suggestions? I've also noticed there are 300mm and 278mm versions? Any advice would great. Thanks :)

Let's try to get some background info first, please. For a 2012 car, it has got to the point of needing brakes and disks fairly soon. Has it done a lot of miles, are you hard on the brakes, have the disks seen unusual corrosion or has there been a fault of some kind? And, the rear disks, it would be really unusual for them to need doing early (...the pads, yes, but the disks, not unless there was a complicating factor...).

So, what is going on?

35k (Almost) been told front discs and pads need changing in roughly 4k, he advised pads are 70% worn. I'm not particularly hard on the brakes tbh. Rears are fine.

Seems very early for discs...

I go hard on brakes and do 15k a year and the disks on my 61 plate are originals

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I just had the pads changed out and the mech said everything looked great but he showed me the pads and they had about a half a cm left if lucky... :O

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Any brand you would recommend for both?

I go for Pagid or Brembo, car came with Mintex and they was absolutely shocking once they warmed up the squeal was making my eyes tear up, not to mention how embarrassing it was in town centres when my brakes were louder than a truck, to my surprise their was a lot left on the pads and even the discs looked fine but now I am using Pagid both pads and discs.

Thanks mate, the guy I used recommended pagid. Are the ones from euro car parts any good?

I wouldn't fit them till you need to 30% could do you tye rest of the year unless the disks are pitted or scored again I wouldn't change them mechanics tell you you need them as they can make commision selling parts exhausts disks pads are the most common

• Like 1

I would go for Ford Branded Brake Discs and Pads.

Jamie

• Like 1

look for parts shop 247( bristol street parts) on eBay.thats where ive bought mine and well happy

• Like 1

thanks guys. to be honest I mainly notice the breaks tend to be worse when it's wet and I seem to travel that little bit further than usual. I will hang fire for now and see how they are doing in a few months time. thanks :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club