Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion 1.4 Steering Belt

NewtoFusion16

Hi all,

Any guides at all the replacing the Power Steering belt on my 2003 Fusion 1.4 Petrol.

Thanks

Its s stretch belt, cut the old one off and either use a stretch belt tool or be very careful using something like a screwdriver to lever/turn the new belt onto the pulleys. 

I have done a good few stretch belts with and without the corect tool with relative ease. 

• Like 2

The PAS belt on the mk6 is the nasty one.

After I changed my timing belt I spent 4 hours trying to get the last stretch belt on. Knackered by tool & had to use a 1/2" extension bar out of anger and forced the belt over the pulley. Wasn't fun & choice words were said.

Is your other aux belt healthy? Has your timing belt been changed..? If not, it's overdue.

If it had been changed that means your PAS belt should be newish

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

4 hours? :lol::lol: 

careful placement of a screwdriver and turning the crank pulley I could take one off and refit it within 10 seconds.

• Like 1

Yeah.. 4 hours. After spending the amount of time & effort changing the timing belt etc, that belt was the last thing I wanted.

I tried screwdrivers & anything else I could get my hand on whilst turning the crank with a ratchet. Had no luck

At the end of the day I was 17 at the time with no mechanical training except working in a motorcycle garage a few years ago & the bits I had read/taught myself. I do all the work on my car & family cars myself. Only time it ever goes to a garage is for tyres. The only reason I knew exactly what to do is because IanTT is an absolute legend 👌

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 2

I have to take my hat off to you taking on a job like that with no experience at 17, as I always used to tell myself when I got out my depth either working on something at home or a job as an apprentice -it's only nuts n bolts lol.

I've added 2 pics of a stretch belt removal/installation tool that are readily available and simple to use. Cost about £20 but very useful.

image.thumb.jpg.69782c708c531d2297ab3967image.thumb.jpg.f0a45dc34a9b29aadf4abbf3

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I have mechanical experience, just not in topics such as this! Haha. Bits deep inside the engine have been the bits I've kept away from due to fear of damage, although I now know it's not as complex as it seems.

I used to carry out engine rebuilds on my old 2 stroke supermoto (old being 2013) and that's what sparked my passion for doing the work myself. Obviously, there's quite a difference between 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines haha.

That tool looks a million times better than what I was working with. I only had the cheap flimsy thing that was included with the belts. It would get the pulley so far round then slip. In the end it bent into such a mess then snapped on trying to bend it back with a gentle flame. Hence the rage & extension bar came into play!

I just ripped the old one off with a screwdriver and rolled the new one on with a screwdriver...  £20 tools? pfft!! :laugh: 

Tbf, I much prefer the ones with an auto-sprung tensioner, cringed at the noise the new belt made going on haha.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club