Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying MK1 TDCI Problems (non-start/engine cut out)

pepsea

Hi, I've been an owner of a 2003 MK1100ps TDCI for about three years now, I've spent a good couple of thousand over these years in maintenance, repairs, 8k services etc etc (I cover about 25k miles a year) however the last few months have been an absolute nightmare for me.

It all started when cruising down the motorway when suddenly my car shut down completely, I migrated to the hard shoulder in time and restarted the car and it just worked. Thinking it was a faulty battery connection I cleaned the terminals when I got home and forgot about it. This happened again a few days later whilst in the city, but started right back up again. I was worried so I took it to a guy who had a code reader but didn't register any codes (later I found out that it was a crap reader and I needed an official one.)

The more annoying problems began in January when my car failed to start from cold... I did intensive Google searching and many problems could lead to this, a sensor, TB, glow plugs, battery, starter motor etc etc...

I first started by replacing the suggested camshaft sensor, which fixed the next days starting but then the problem came back the following day. So I moved onto the next cheapest option which was a new battery... nope not that either. Then I thought I should just replace the glow plugs as this problem only seemed to happen when it was really cold outside (the car had done 130k so it sounds about right.) Got some new OEM plugs but nope, not that either! I followed this up with a new starter motor but still nothing!

In the mean time the only way I could start the car is by push starting and bumping in second gear! After that the car works all day without a hiccup, I could start it 30 times a day without hesitation. Another odd method I discovered was using Easystart into the intake which also gets it started.

I was so frustrated I took it straight to Ford to have the codes read properly this time and the error code that came back was "Injector Pump Failure." Searching this and finding out it will cost more then the car is worth, I stopped trying to fix it and thought it was time to get rid of it as it had cost me way to much up until this point.

The next day the car failed to start so I had to call the RAC to recover me as it was too busy on the road I was parked on to do a push start. The RAC guy was an ex-Ford tech and told me he will run a few checks.  He checked all four injectors and told me that two of the injectors are flowing/leaking and that this was my actual problem.

So now my dilemma is as follows:

1.  Recondition the two injectors for £250 just to find out that it wasn't the problem.
  2.  Spend a million on an injector pump (which means new cam belt, again!) just to find out it was the injectors in the first place!
  3.  Replace both of the above and still have non starting mornings and random engine cut outs... And then commute suicide.

I am really frustrated and depressed at this point and I graciously seek some proper advice before I do something terrible to myself :D

All the advice I can get is appreciated at this point... thanks guys!

Massive symphony with you mate I share your pain.To be honest I wouldn't of gone down the reconditioned route for injectors,I think you can have problems with them too.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Honestly just hours ago I was THIS close to trading it in for a lousy £370 in exchange for a newer 2007 Focus but I changed my mind last second as the new car will probably need new wishbones, droplinks, bushes, tyres, brakes, cambelt, pumps, flywheel, clutch.... all of which cost me thousands to do within the last year alone. Last month I had it MOT'd and it failed for the handbrake being a little weak so that was also replaced. Oh, and of course, not to mention the last £500 I just spent trying to solve this hell forsaken problem it has developed.

Yeah,I've the same model as you,my car is driving superb and love driving it but like you I have spent thousands on it and only now getting to enjoy the benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

So you changed the camshaft sensor, what about the crankshaft sensor? Is it really worth fixing ? the garage obviously don't so at that price. 

On 3/5/2016 at 8:03 PM, james1089 said:

So you changed the camshaft sensor, what about the crankshaft sensor? Is it really worth fixing ? the garage obviously don't so at that price. 

Hi, no I never changed the crankshaft sensor I can't remember reading anything about that regarding my problem/s. The cutting out whilst driving all indicated the camshaft sensor, since I replaced it, it only cut out once but not since then.

So far I've gone and seen around 6 other Focus's and they are all crap soon to be money pits, so I've decided to just fix this and call it a day but I'm sick of going from one shop to the next telling me to change yet anything thing just to find out that wasn't the problem, thats why I thought I'd ask on a Focus forum with more direct experience with these cars.

On 3/5/2016 at 4:16 PM, williamweb said:

Massive symphony with you mate I share your pain.To be honest I wouldn't of gone down the reconditioned route for injectors,I think you can have problems with them too.

Any reason you say this? Its become my last hope and now I'm worried as you've said that they could still end up being faulty.

A possibly theory here is that the injector pump is broken that caused the injectors to fail? Does anyone have any experience with these engines at all?

Thanks guys!

Well crank sensor a lot more common than cam sensor, if you change one and still fails change the other they do the same job.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club