Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turned engine while in 1st gear, now wont turn engine at all

Drazha

Hi all,

Car model: Ford Focus 2005, Mk.II, 1.4 Petrol

Got into the car this morning, and accidentally turned the engine, while the car was still in first gear.

The car lurched forward, of course, and I quickly stepped on the break and clutch. The car climbed up on the parking lot curb, and I am not sure if I stepped on the break and when the car stopped, released the break while the clutch was still engaged, but the car came off the curb, going backwards.

Anyhoo, the car battery is OK, the car switches on like a Xmas tree, all is working, however when I try to start the car, I hear the whirring first (fuel pump?) and then I turn the key to turn the engine, I hear only a single click.

No starter motor running, just a single click, and that's it.

Any ideas what I have managed to mess up?

give the starter motor a tap with a hammer sounds like it sticking

• Like 2

I wouldn't know where it is, and what force to use :) I tried looking it up on youtube, but I keep getting videos from the US, and I am not sure their Focus design is same as UK market one.

Actually, if the car tried to turn the starter, and the starter was stuck, I would expect the overall power voltage in the car to drop a bit and have the rest of the lights flicker, just to show that there was something happening.

However, nothing like that happens, just a single click, eventually the fuel pump whirring, and thats it.

Could it be the fuse, or the relay? I am presuming the single click I hear is the relay, and the fuse is alright, otherwise the click would not happen?

Didn't read that right, no crank, as above, might just try removing battery over night. In fact how is the battery? don't overlook the obvious. In fact the more I think about it the more I'm thinking battery.

Bump start it that may free it ?

give it a good thrashing with a tree branch

• Like 1

Sounds like starter motor is stuck. Put car in 1st gear release hand brake and rock car back and forth a few times, it might take a good push but it should free it. Then everything should be back to normal.

Is there an impact switch on these?  A shock like that could trip it out if there is!!

• Like 1

Hi all,

The battery is fine, everything lights up as a Xmas tree, I had a poor battery recently so I know what the car does when the battery is bad. Plus I replaced it with a brand new one just a month ago...

I tried the rocking thing, but no cigar.

I kinda think the starter's gone, since if it tried to do anything, there would be a load drain when engaged, and the overall power voltage would drop on the car, lights flickers, that kind of stuff, but none of this happens...

The pump whirrs, and there is a single click, and nothing. 

Pull the battery mate, cars are like computers, what do you do when your computer buggers up, plug the plug, count to 15 elephants then plug it back in, (leave it about 30 min)

Also, someone else will be in a better place to see if this is possible or not, but that kinda sounds like when I changed my timing belt and forgot to take out the flywheel locking pin, ion fact it sounds exactly like that, is there anyway to "jam" a gear box to prevent it for moving?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrRedman said:

Bump start it that may free it ?

Agree

Well, the starter motor fried, and the cable harness melted on several places... I'll be lucky if the alternator didn't go as well.

The alternators are pretty rugged on these so fingers crossed.

So, the epic story ends: it was the in-line fuse on the cable leading from the car battery to the starter and then on to the alternator.

The actual resistor is right under the battery terminal.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club