Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

A Good Thing or a Bad Thing?

Liam40

Hi,

This topic is just a curiosity to see what other members do!

I occasionally rev the engine of my 1.6i 16 valve focus above 3000rpm. But, can this be a bad thing to keep the revs low? Or is it a good thing to do it more, use the revs of the engine more?

What do fellow members do? Or what do you think?

Liam.

There's nothing wrong with mostly keeping below 3k, should be good for fuel consumption, engines do benefit from a good boot now and then though, keeps everything clean.

I tend to blast up to the red line a couple of times a week, but then I drive diesels that get all sorts of sooting/carbonising issues if they're not used properly.

• Like 1

3000rpm??? That's nothing!

My engine speed sits at 3000 RPM when doing 75 on the motorway.

Disclaimer: An indicated 75 is still below the speed limit in my car. ;)

• Like 1

Red line regularly in mine keeps everything working and it's fun 😃

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

2 hours ago, Incontro said:

3000rpm??? That's nothing!

My engine speed sits at 3000 RPM when doing 75 on the motorway.

Disclaimer: An indicated 75 is still below the speed limit in my car. ;)

True, mine hovers over 3000rpm when doing 70ish mph on a motorway :wink3:

Actually, I thought 75 was the new speed limit for motorways :wink3:

1 hour ago, Philf1 said:

Red line regularly in mine keeps everything working and it's fun 😃

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

But Phil, your Fiesta ST is turbo-charged, my focus is a normally-aspirated petrol. You can red line yours more. If I red lined mine that regularly, she think what the hell you doing to me, lol.

Liam.

Any engine petrol or diesel, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, turbo or na will benefit from the occasional blast up towards the red line when warmed up.

It's like going for a run or going to the gym. If you walked everywhere and never broke a sweat it wouldn't do you any good.

Stretching an engines legs so to speak will help towards keeping it clearer and reduce carbon deposits.

That doesn't mean you rag it everywhere just every now and then when the engine is warm hold on to a gear up towards the red line. 2nd usually works best.

• Like 1

My engine had its "legs stretched" last night after a boy racer behind tried mounting my bumper with his go faster peugeot. hit redline and brought engine malfunction message and disabled stop start. lol

maf air flow corelation error, basically more air flow than it expected.

Mine gets a once/twice a week thrashing, usually if I leave work the same time as the other Matt as I like to give his ST powered s60 a run for it's money.  

• Like 1

Hi,

About that red lining you all mention, what do you do when you haven't got one, see photo below, lol! 

(P.S. Excuse the dust, she hasn't had a clean for a while, intend to give her one next week!)

Liam. 

image.jpeg

I'd just change gear at 6k if it was me.

You can usually hear and feel it getting near it's limit. It should have a rev limiter even if it doesn't have a marked red line on the dials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

I'd just change gear at 6k if it was me.

You can usually hear and feel it getting near it's limit. It should have a rev limiter even if it doesn't have a marked red line on the dials.

Oh ok. Just been round the parents who live 1.5 miles from me, I only used 3 gears and reverse. It's a bit unusual not to see a red line, I wonder why one wasn't fitted to this car!

Liam.

Mines got a Redline to 7500 won't let me go higher than 6.  But by then it's ran out of 'poke' anyway, runs out at about 5

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club