Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door open light always on

BillM1

Hi everyone.

The tailgate on my Mk1 Focus is always showing as open.

At first it was intermittent. but now it's permanent.

Is this part of the lock? It would be a shame to have to replace a perfectly working unit just for this.

If it is the whole lock, will I need a different key or can the current barrel be moved across?

I've scoured the forum, but never seen this question asked.

Thanks.

If you have to replace the lock you can transplant the barrel pretty easily.

I have a guide that's accessible via the link under my posts when viewed on a PC.

You may also want to check the wiring between the roof and tailgate (inside rubber tube) as they are prone to snapping which can cause the lock to pop open due to shorting out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank for the reply. I'll check that guide out when I get a  moment.

The lock itself is fine. Central locking works with both remote and local keys. It's purely then door open switch that's causing grief.

Probably a microswitch in the lock then.

Have you tried some spray grease on it to see if something is sticking?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not yet. I tried WD40, but that had no effect. I'll pick up some spray grease today and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind the age of your car I'd be inclined to suspect the wiring between body and tailgate as Clive mentioned earlier. On our 2003 estate the high-level brake light stopped working and when I examined the wiring inside the rubber boot it was in a pretty bad state. One wire was broken - that was the brake light - and the insulation was cracked on several others. The tubing to the rear washer was cracked too. I must admit I had to do a bit of a bodge job on it all as access was so difficult.

Unfortunately the plastic hardens with age even though it's not exposed to UV. Once it cracks all the bending stresses when opening the boot fall on the copper conductor which rapidly work-hardens and fractures too.

This may not be the cause of your problem, of course, but it's an area worth checking out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club