Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta cooling issue

joemc113

Just wondering if anyone can help me,

Just picked up a fiesta mk6 1.3 duratec for cheap, was driving it home and all of a sudden had a tonne of steam coming from under the bonnet and the car stopped. Got it home eventually to find the top and bottom rad hoses werent connected properly which was very odd. So i reconnected them, refilled the system and had no heating whatsoever. Felt the top rad pipe after running for a little bit and it seemed awfully hot. A friend suggested we check the thermostat is opening, so on we go, disconnect the housing to fine someone has already taken it out :/ so then i thought head had gone, but on closer inspection i can see that there is a new head gasket on.. not sure really what to do now, any help would be much appreciated.

Could be the water pump has gone. As the car is 14 years old now check the bottom hose hasn't collapsed in on itself blocking the flow. Also change the expansion tank cap. If its not holding the pressure it wont circulate. People tend to think they have head gasket problem and spend a load on what should have been a mere few pounds.

The car has obviously had a problem and somebody has been busy bodging it.

Anyone any idea how to bleed the system properly?

I have a 2006 m k2 focus sport diesel 1.8. TDCI, have owned it for around 10 months , 2 days after buying it garage diagnosed head gasket as gone and charged £950 to replace it. ( I later found out they only replaced water pump )

2 weeks or so ago a chemical test on coolant revealed head gasket as gone , again ( well maybe not again, very much doubt it was done the first time) so I went back the garage who charged £950 the first time, I told them hg had gone byt they offered no solution to repairing it despite being less than 1 year since they were paid for the job ( that it seems they didn't even do )

My friend who is a master technician and works at home fixing cars said he will replaced my head gasket , including parts and labor he will charge £400 ( and I'd have to pay additional £30 to skim head ) he also says he will not be replacing valve stem seals as mine don't need changing.

My car has no power loss ( other than because of bad maf/loom) no oil water mixing, no smo0ke whatsoever, but it is using about 3 cups of water per week so I;m quite lucky it hasn't gone in a more serious place. I will be having it repaired soon.

So, if you can travel to North West England, about 5 miles away from Wigan or around  20 miles from Liverpool, My friend can replace the head gasket for you, at least then you'll have a new timing belt as well and water pump.

I say this because I suspect you have a blown head gasket, you may want to get a test done on your car to clarify this before taking further action.

If the head has knackered again i will probably pick another engine up and put it in myself as the 1.3 engines are like 150quid with 60k on. The temp gauge in the car doesnt say its over heating, but still i have no heating, could be to do with a missing thermostat? Or even a heater matrix? If i leave the cap off the water tank it takes a good 10 mins before it boils out, not exactly sure what problem i have here :/

On 09/03/2016 at 8:21 PM, joemc113 said:

Just wondering if anyone can help me,

Just picked up a fiesta mk6 1.3 duratec for cheap, was driving it home and all of a sudden had a tonne of steam coming from under the bonnet and the car stopped. Got it home eventually to find the top and bottom rad hoses werent connected properly which was very odd. So i reconnected them, refilled the system and had no heating whatsoever. Felt the top rad pipe after running for a little bit and it seemed awfully hot. A friend suggested we check the thermostat is opening, so on we go, disconnect the housing to fine someone has already taken it out :/ so then i thought head had gone, but on closer inspection i can see that there is a new head gasket on.. not sure really what to do now, any help would be much appreciated.

The thermostat on the 1.3 duratec has a sprung loaded relief valve attached to the bottom of it. If the relief valve is missing it stops the flow of coolant to the heater core. When you remove the thermostat housing you will notice that the heater core supply and return pipe chambers are not separated unless the thermostat relief valve is in place.

As for bleeding the system, fill expansion tank to max, leave cap off. Run engine at 3000 rpm for 2 mins, fill expansion tank to brim, cap on, run engine at 3000 rpm for another 2 mins, turn engine off and let cool.

Update. Replaced thermostat, and filled with coolant and water, heating is working fine, expansion tank is no longer bubbling like mad, and all "seems" normal, will keep updated though. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Ok so just pulled up outsidr my house in my current car and noticed a small puddle of oil under the fiesta, after everything seemed to be ok after installing the thermostat, has anyone any ideas what to check, as i suspect the 2 to be related

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club