Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus - ESP system fault - codes in

ff2007

Hi guys, here is the case with this car.

Day 1: this Ford Focus 1.6tcdi 2007 while driving on D, it showed "ESP system fault". When this appeared, I heard the gas increased for about 0.5 RPM! Turned the engine off then on and drove home fine.

Day 2: while driving slowly on a busy road, "ESP systeam fault" reappeared followed by a "Transmission malfuction", again gas increased, turned the engine off and on and drove home fine.

Day 3: drove to the local service, mechanic plugged IDS and scanned, below are codes shown:

U2023-A0-ABS

U1900-EPS

U1900-IC

P1402-PCM

U0101-PCM

Mechanic inspected the fuses and in the fusebox on the passanger side, he found a burnt fuse, replaced it (10 A), cleared the codes and wanted to drive and see if it is appearing again. 

Day 4: again "ESP system fault", sent the car to the service and checked for codes, below are codes shown this time:

U2023-ABS

U1900-IC

P0700-PCM

U0101-PCM

P0790-TCM

U0001-TCM

Mechanic is suspecting it's the Instrument Cluster or the electronic part inside transmission to be the issue for this!

I wondered if any of you could shed some light on what is happening with these codes?

Thanks!

Check all the fuses for signs of overcurrent (melting) - I believe any problem with the canbus network (i.e. shorts/breaks) may result in similar errors (Accidentally shorted both MSCAN and HSCAN, MSCAN switches on the red snowflake, ESP light and displays "Engine fault" "Acceleration Reduced", HSCAN short produces all the lights on the instrument cluster.

Do you think it's ok to remove all relays one after another (when engine is off) and check underneath each relay to see if there is any corroded connection?

As stated on the other thread, a similar issue was caused because one of the wires of speed sensor was shorting out on the transmission box.

Looking to isolate DTC P0790.

"DTC P0790 sets when the PCM/TCM has detected a malfunction in the electrical circuit of the transmission mode selector. The switch, system wiring and connectors, and mode actuator are all included in this circuit.

Common Causes

• Water contamination of the transmission mode switch
  • Open or shorted electrical wiring, damaged, corroded, or disconnected wiring or connectors

"

19 hours ago, Micro said:

Check all the fuses for signs of overcurrent (melting) - I believe any problem with the canbus network (i.e. shorts/breaks) may result in similar errors (Accidentally shorted both MSCAN and HSCAN, MSCAN switches on the red snowflake, ESP light and displays "Engine fault" "Acceleration Reduced", HSCAN short produces all the lights on the instrument cluster.

Hi,

Checked the fuses, all are in good conditions. 

I'm gonna check also the battery voltage when car is turned off/on, and after the warning appears on the dash!

When off, it's 12.5 V

when on (lights on), it's 14.55 V

I guess this is good.

Hi all,

Could these messages come up if there is a low level of trans. oil? Speed sensor not in contact with oil? Temp sensor maybe?

Looks like when the engine is warmed up == trans.oil is warmed up thus it is expanded all over the transmission, covering with oil the speed or temp sensor?!

Any thought on this is highly appreciated.

Ive had a similar issue on my focus 7speed auto. 

Same lights you described 

& transmission malfunction on the cluster screen.

car drove fine when codes were erased. 

When the malfunction flashed up 

the car felt rough selecting D from N almost like clutch binding. 

After a long time I managed to narrow it down to a battery problem & smart charge issue, despite it reading what you'd expect when measuring with a multimeter.

Swapped alternator fir a new one & replaced batt with a new silver Calcium ( not lead acid one ) !

all is well & has been over a year now  

And today when oppened the door the radio screen was like never before, it was the first time I saw --/--/-- instead of showing the exact date like I see everyday.

When igition on, date showed up!

Not sure. Should there be any date on it like production date?

This winter where temp were up to -20C, the engine started at the very first crank and it still does.

Update: today when I put the ignition on only, Transmission malf. appeared, "P" was kinda flashing as a relay was clicking on the fuse box close to the battery! After checking them, found out it was relay R1 "START" who did all this clicking!

Replaced it with another one from a Ford car and will see if this relay was the cause of all the problems!

Could that relay really be the cause?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, S40Un said:

How old is battery ?

Hey Shaun, 

Update: on top is 15A. That is Jan 2015.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I Know this thread is old, but what was the problem?. I actually have the  same problem, and after reading this I might try a new starter battery. It seems logical. MR/MRS S40UN might be into something. Or the speedwire?. I have replased the generator with a new one for a year ore two ago. But not the battery. I gonna try that the first thing tommorow. After start in the morning I can drive for 5, 10 ore 30 minutes and some times more. And first the ESP failure comes up in the dashborad and the yellow light, then the TCM transmission comes up. It seems for me the transmission is locked to a low gear. I stop the car for some minutes and start it up again (Code erasing). After driving a few meters the EST fault is back again. This happens 3 or 4 times. After the fourth time the car works fine. Nothing wrong with esp and transmission.  I have also red about the ESP connection between ABS pump and the controller behind the battery. Something about the connection points. Bad cappelin?. 

Thanks in advance. Like I say, I gonna try new battery.

PS: Sorry for the bad English. Hope somebody understands it;) 

15 hours ago, leifsle said:

Hello

I Know this thread is old, but what was the problem?. I actually have the  same problem, and after reading this I might try a new starter battery. It seems logical. MR/MRS S40UN might be into something. Or the speedwire?. I have replased the generator with a new one for a year ore two ago. But not the battery. I gonna try that the first thing tommorow. After start in the morning I can drive for 5, 10 ore 30 minutes and some times more. And first the ESP failure comes up in the dashborad and the yellow light, then the TCM transmission comes up. It seems for me the transmission is locked to a low gear. I stop the car for some minutes and start it up again (Code erasing). After driving a few meters the EST fault is back again. This happens 3 or 4 times. After the fourth time the car works fine. Nothing wrong with esp and transmission.  I have also red about the ESP connection between ABS pump and the controller behind the battery. Something about the connection points. Bad cappelin?. 

Thanks in advance. Like I say, I gonna try new battery.

PS: Sorry for the bad English. Hope somebody understands it;) 

You could really do with using Forscan and a modified ELM327 cable to check for any active/stored error codes because 1 or more stored codes might give you a better idea of where the issue is.  If you're not familiar with Forscan you'll find plenty of information within this forum via the search (it's really easy to use and can do a lot more than check/clear error codes).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club