Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front wheels knocking over bumps

seany1212

Hi All,

For the past couple weeks i've been getting a knocking from the front wheel when going down dips and over bumps. I am under the impression that it's the brushes/bushes(?) that need replacing, i've got a haynes manual at this point and have replaced exhaust, bulbs, radiator fan but how much work should i expect from this if it is the brushes/bushes that need changing?

Seany

EDIT: MK1 Focus.

Good morning Seany,

if indeed it is worn bushes - I had exactly the same issue on my mk1. Then it's a relatively easy job. Hardest part is getting the ball joint free of the steering knuckle but if you replace the complete arm you could separate it with a ball joint fork.

New pinch bolts would be recommended too. 

6 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Good morning Seany,

if indeed it is worn bushes - I had exactly the same issue on my mk1. Then it's a relatively easy job. Hardest part is getting the ball joint free of the steering knuckle but if you replace the complete arm you could separate it with a ball joint fork.

New pinch bolts would be recommended too. 

Thanks for the reply stef,

I'll have a look at the weekend when i get time to jack the car up, should the car be safe to drive for the next few days assuming avoiding heavy potholes and such?

Seany

If you have worn bushes,this should of been discovered at your last MOT as an advisory.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Sean,

Before you attack the rubber bushes on the bottom wishbone suspension thingy, have a look at the drop link from the antiroll bar to the suspension strut.

The link is about 22cm long with a ball joint at each end. I have had several of these fail on my old Mk1 and they make just the noise you describe.

To test, jack the car up with both front wheels off the ground.This leaves the droplink unloaded. Take the wheel off, then try to move the ball joints by hand. Sometimes the small rubber gaiter which protects the ball joint is perished letting dirt in.

Any movement from the joint will cause a suspension knock over uneven ground. They are cheap and easy to replace.

ScaniaPBman.

4 hours ago, seany1212 said:

Thanks for the reply stef,

I'll have a look at the weekend when i get time to jack the car up, should the car be safe to drive for the next few days assuming avoiding heavy potholes and such?

Seany

Use a pry bar to try and move the lower arm, your looking for any excess movement. Check bushes, ball joint and drop link.

A quick inspection of shock absorber, Spring and top mount would be worthwhile too. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club