Do Not Sell My Personal Information

03 plate, streetka. 1.6 duratec. Overheating -please help me

Softtopfanatic

Bought an 03 plate, streetka back in September. Had short mot, but flew through. Not long after heating only blew cold air out. Checked the coolant. Was completely empty. Refilled and off it went. Fine for 2-3 months up until last week. Exhaust began randomly blowing. Turns out the rear box has snapped off. Then two days later, the temp warning light comes on.. Pulled up at work. Lifted bonnet. Didn't seem particularly hot, but could hear a sizzling sound. Panicked a little left it to cool and checked the coolant. Was none. So I filled her up. And drove home. Again. Temp light came on. But got it home. Left it to cool. Coolant had gone again. Topped it up. All the while hot air was still coming out. No steam or anything. Drove to work again. And then temp light came on, and I had to pull over this time I had steam gushing from under bonnet and I could her the engine like a cooking sound. Lifted bonnet and left it to cool. As I was only 5 mins from work . I carried on with my journey fine. And then left it to cool in car park. Went and checked on it. No coolant in tank again. And the hose has snapped off the heat valve. So I had green flag tow me home. Ordered the part and awaited to arrive. Fitted the part, think it would solve my answer. Had it go into garage for exhaust. And asked them to check for head gasket failure. (I'd already checked the oil cap and was clear ) they did and had no sign of over heating or hg failure. So assumed the heater valve had answered my issues. Drove it around for 10-15 mins. And again the engine began to over heat. I got it home again. And let it cool. Puzzled as to what it could now be. Took it back to garage next day.  Had them do a sniff test on water for the head gasket. And it came back clear. Nothing. But yet when I drive around with the heating on full blast it stays on for a while if I !Removed! off the heating it begins to over heat... Some one please help me. The garage are saying they don't know and can only assume the hg tests a wrong and it need replacing... They over quoted me..so I won't be going with them. I just can't except that it's the head gasket despite countless tests coming back clear. What is wrong with my car!!! 

Just need to add also... Have attempted to bleed of any air by letting it run st idle with the cap off. And squeezing the pipes. Checked the hose coming from the valve to the top of the radiator it was getting hot. The one coming out I didn't check while running the engine. But after I switched it off. It didn't feel like it had been used and felt pretty cool. So guess I'd have to check that again. I am to in and trough in from thermostat, to coolant tank, to head gasket, and to maybe another dodger valve. The fans a all kicking, there's nothing in the water. I just can not understand what is going on. If I drive for more than 10-15 mins and shut off the heaters, it begins to over heat, steam pisses out and I have to pull over and allow it to cool... Someone please help me. I can't give up on this car... It's such a lovey little thing. I just refuse to accept that dodgey mechanic telling me even though the tests are clear of a faulty hg, that he still thinks I should have it replaced at a ridiculous cost... 😩

Replacing the thermostat would be a good place to start. It would be worth checking the radiator isn't blocked too, try back-flushing it.

The thermostat is positioned to allow cool water from the radiator bottom hose to enter the engine when required so you would expect the top hose to be fairly hot most of the time.

The heater control valve would not cause any issues with your current problem.

What exactly have you replaced and was it a ford part or OEM.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The common issues are the thermostat housing which warps because they are made of plastic. The Expansion tanks split and the expansion tank caps stop holding the pressure. All of which will cause a drop in pressure which result in the coolant boiling at a lower temperature. Also stops it circulating properly.

Do the old trick - lots of newspaper under the car - switch it on and see where the water is leaking from - radiator , expansion bottle , heater inlet etc 

Water pump even!

Then lie underneath and check to pinpoint the area!

I had this problem and it is usually thermostat housing with integrated temp sensors. Housing warps,temp sensor fails plus rubber seal leaks. Take Air filter housing off you will see the bugger. Undo six star nuts. Remove hoses.Drain coolant at drain plug or just let it run out if your lazy. Link to correct part for OEM or buy a ford part for £45 IT DEPENDS HOW MUCH LOVE YOI HAVE FOR YOUR BABY.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPITH0001-Intergrated-Thermostat-Both-Housings-Sensor-Seal-Ford-KA-1-3-1-6-/321944018729?nav=SEARCH

22 hours ago, Dan62 said:

Replacing the thermostat would be a good place to start. It would be worth checking the radiator isn't blocked too, try back-flushing it.

The thermostat is positioned to allow cool water from the radiator bottom hose to enter the engine when required so you would expect the top hose to be fairly hot most of the time.

The heater control valve would not cause any issues with your current problem.

Hey, cheers! I had thought the thermostat tbh, but as the radiator top hose was getting warm I presumed it was working. Although I have noticed there is water/meldue on the seal by the thermostat, that would suggest maybe it is knackered. 

Also, how would I flush the radiator? As when I have looked underneath I can't see any "drain plug" of sorts. I can see the bottom hose, but would be a job pulling that off... 

11 hours ago, andybadcats said:

I had this problem and it is usually thermostat housing with integrated temp sensors. Housing warps,temp sensor fails plus rubber seal leaks. Take Air filter housing off you will see the bugger. Undo six star nuts. Remove hoses.Drain coolant at drain plug or just let it run out if your lazy. Link to correct part for OEM or buy a ford part for £45 IT DEPENDS HOW MUCH LOVE YOI HAVE FOR YOUR BABY.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPITH0001-Intergrated-Thermostat-Both-Housings-Sensor-Seal-Ford-KA-1-3-1-6-/321944018729?nav=SEARCH

Hey! 

Cheers! Where exactly is the "drain plug"? I can't locate it. I can see a sort of hole on the bottom left hand side of the radiator. But there is no plug in it? Also how do I remove the air chamber? 

Leave the pipes on the radiator, flush from the other end of the pipe that is connected to the thermostat housing.

As already suggested it would be wise to replace the housing as well as the thermostat.

air.pdf

Edited by Dan62
ADD PDF

7 minutes ago, Dan62 said:

Leave the pipes on the radiator, flush from the other end of the pipe that is connected to the thermostat housing.

As already suggested it would be wise to replace the housing as well as the thermostat.

Ah, Ye I was going to change the full lot tbh. As I can see like a brown sort of build of meldue/water sat around the seal of the thermostat. That would suggest a damaged housing unit of sorts. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq3cgty1u57oapo/Screenshot_2016-01-14-23-01-34.png?dl=0

Jack up off side ft wheel take off plastic radiator guard top picture follow second picture to drain plug. You must remove radiator guard to see plug location. It's plastic and turns anticlockwise. Or you can drain at main rubber pipe connecting to the coolant housing.  If you do the latter have a jam jar to catch coolant.  Mark pipes with coloured tape so they go back in correct order. 

To remove air filter housing remove jubilee clip {screw) then rubber pipe(pull off)  Then pull whole air housing towards you pulling slightly upwards. 

Cheers guys! Replaced the thermostat. An all is fine.... Yay! All ready to go for summer now. Just need to clean off the soft top from the mess of winter and we're all set! 

• Like 1

Give her a good clean now in time for summer. If the hood is mossy and stained get this kit below. It works brilliantly especially on the green Moss. It comes with a dye to re colour your fabric. Yes ok a bit dear, but she's worth it 👌 

Renovo Black Convertible Hood / Soft Top Cleaner,Reviver, Proofer Complete Kit with brushes etc by Millaissolutions Ltd https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01347Y5P6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_Ks-7wbN895FP3

• Like 1

Bit pricey there Andy for a wash - good stiff clothes brush and some hot water and fairy liquid is what i use!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club