Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How does this work

Michael9

If you're going to sorn a car but cant get it off a road (literally ie lives in a flat on a main rd) how is it done. A friend is doing this but there's no where he can put it while sorned. Will it or can it still get clamped and can he still get fined as its still technically "on the road", for people that live in flats on main roads what do they do..

You cannot sorn a vehicle that is on a public road. It has to be on private ground to be sorned. Simply that is the law. Any vehicle on a public road has to be taxed MOT'd and insured.

• Like 5

Or in other words if you don't have a garage or driveway or any other private ground you can park the car on then you cannot sorn a car. 

• Like 2

Oh and leaving it on the road even if he sorns it it can still be clamped or towed or fined.

• Like 2

Yep. That's always been the case. Even before the SORN thing came into being you couldn't park a car on the road that wasn't taxed.

• Like 1

I thought that too....god knows how he's going to get round this then. He's been paid off, the engine needs work and just doesn't have the money to do anything just now and doesn't know anyone with a drive (self included) to store it. I guess it'll get clamped then and he'll get fined and it'll get argued in court if it goes that far....I feel sorry for him as everything in this last year is against him now this.

14 hours ago, Michael9 said:

I thought that too....god knows how he's going to get round this then. He's been paid off, the engine needs work and just doesn't have the money to do anything just now and doesn't know anyone with a drive (self included) to store it. I guess it'll get clamped then and he'll get fined and it'll get argued in court if it goes that far....I feel sorry for him as everything in this last year is against him now this.

It's a shame that he's been put in that situation, but the law is the law (unfortunately).  The road is only for cars that are running and road legal.  Unless it is a special car, could he not just sell it (hard to do, I know) and then buy something else when his finances improve?  I say that mainly because you can also get points on your licence for having a SORNed car parked on the road, and nobody wants that.

Do you know anyone with a trailer? Pretty sure if it's on a trailer ie off the road, it would be OK. If I'm wrong I'll be reporting a couple of cars up here! :)

36 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Do you know anyone with a trailer? Pretty sure if it's on a trailer ie off the road, it would be OK. If I'm wrong I'll be reporting a couple of cars up here! :)

That would work if the trailer was connected to a road legal car, but I'm pretty sure just a trailer with the car on top would still be illegal. 

• Like 1

Calling Clive your vast knowledge is required to clarify this

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, jmurray01 said:

could he not just sell it (hard to do, I know)

He's trying to but so far nothing but timewasters

6 hours ago, Michael9 said:

He's trying to but so far nothing but timewasters

I know the feeling!

Bumping this to the top in the hope that the resident sheriff sees it and tells us/me the rules about unlicensed cars on trailers ;) 

He doesn't know anybody with one though....and still trying to sell it. I can can see it getting crushed if not careful...£2500 worth aswell

A trailer (also caravans included here) can only be left on a public road attached to a taxed vehicle as a trailer is itself untaxed.

If a car is parked on a trailer on a highway then technically it is still on the road (trader regulations will vary though).

If an untaxed vehicle is on a trailer then the trailer needs to be off road also.

An untaxed car cannot be in any way on a public road except if the car is going to or from a pre-booked MOT or covered by trader plates.

Private car parks, off road bays, driveways, and private land are the only option as long as there is no un-restricted public access to these areas (where trespassing laws would not apply).

• Like 3

Like i say, it'll end up crushed as there's nothing like that near him and doesn't know anybody with one.

Thanks for that Clive, cleared it up for me. 

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

A trailer (also caravans included here) can only be left on a public road attached to a taxed vehicle as a trailer is itself untaxed.

If a car is parked on a trailer on a highway then technically it is still on the road (trader regulations will vary though).

If an untaxed vehicle is on a trailer then the trailer needs to be off road also.

An untaxed car cannot be in any way on a public road except if the car is going to or from a pre-booked MOT or covered by trader plates.

Private car parks, off road bays, driveways, and private land are the only option as long as there is no un-restricted public access to these areas (where trespassing laws would not apply).

So I assume when the local courier depot leaves the trailer of their Arctic on the main road that too is illegal? Or can big companies get tax for trailers?

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

That's what I thought - thanks for clearing it up!

I know quite a few people with track cars and banger racing cars that aren't road legal so not taxed but trailered around, that can't be illegal surely? 

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

So I assume when the local courier depot leaves the trailer of their Arctic on the main road that too is illegal? Or can big companies get tax for trailers?

Trailers are not taxed but are MOT'D and insured. They also have a restriction on where they can be parked and for how long. They have to have an operating base which also costs money. They have to have regular inspections either every 4 weeks or up to 13 weeks. The unit that pulls them is taxed and some pay a heck of a lot of tax others pay less depending on weight Ford friendly suspension number of axles and Euro standards.

They should not be parked up at the side of the road for prolonged periods in general.

Get a car cover that completely covers the whole thing. Put securing straps on to prevent it blowing away on windy day's and pray for a quick sale. Can only be scanned by anpr if plates showing. 

A car cover on a public road is basically proving it's not driven and drawing attention to it!

Tbh, if it's clean/tidy, parked neatly and 'looks' driven I'd be surprised if you had any issues over a week or so...  I doubt the police drive down your road checking every reg on the ANPR each day.  I wasn't even stopped driving without tax to MOT and back on the other side of town twice...  It was legal as obv you're allowed to drive to MOT but they wouldn't have known without stopping me...

I know quite a few people with track cars and banger racing cars that aren't road legal so not taxed but trailered around, that can't be illegal surely? 

Legal to transport as the trailer is towed by a taxed vehicle but illegal to leave the untaxed car and/or trailer on a public highway or 'unclaimed' private road to which the public has unrestricted access.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club