Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus front coil springs corroded

Jim_Cambridge

My car is a 2009 Focus 1.8 TDCi with 153k miles, I got an MOT advisory for both front coil springs corroded, and the guy at the garage said they were 'pretty bad'. I was quoted £300 inclusive to replace both.

Firstly, does this seem a fair price, secondly would anyone recommend anything else to change (on a high mileage car) at the same time to save on overall labour costs? I think the front discs are wearing thin so might be worth doing, what about other suspension or steering related items where the parts are fairly low-cost?

£300 is pretty steep to change 2 springs. For a Sachs Spring your probably looking at about £40 each. 

I don't know what the actual book time is for doing a spring but I can do one on the driveway on a focus in less than an hour from getting the tools out to jacking the car up etc. 

If I were to hazard a guess at price, £160 including parts. 

• Like 1

£300 is pretty steep to change 2 springs. For a Sachs Spring your probably looking at about £40 each. 

I don't know what the actual book time is for doing a spring but I can do one on the driveway on a focus in less than an hour from getting the tools out to jacking the car up etc. 

If I were to hazard a guess at price, £160 including parts. 

and a 15 min coffee break included. lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

and a 15 min coffee break included. lol

Everytime, the wife might even chuck in some bacon rolls😂

all i would get is "dont make a mess on drive"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iantt said:

all i would get is "dont make a mess on drive"

:lol::lol: we are passed that stage

This seems to have drifted off topic.... I now have a quote of £250 from my local Ford garage, but I am wondering if its worth getting the shock absorbers done at the same time or is there less/different work required to change these? I guess I could ask them to quote for each job separately and the two together but thought it was worth asking on here

unless the shocks are showing signs of wear (wet or damp from oil) I wouldnt bother changing them - do the top mount bearings if you want to do anything extra lol. The process of changing the spring means removal of the shock so no extra labour would be incurred.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club