Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16k miles continental tyre gone?

Fenners

Hi all,

not posted on here for a while, I've just tonight noticed the front left tyre has warn on the outside however the rest of the tyre is fine?

my other tyres are also ok, the car had 9k on when I got it and I've put 9k on the clock it's a ztec s 2013 17" alloys the standard Continental sport tyres are on which have been from new.

i haven't a clue why it's gone already and is it my fault?

Thanks 

image.jpeg

18 k doesn't seem like bad mileage to me for a front tyre. But one tyre wearing like that is a bit weird, so I'd get the tracking checked for toeing in when you replace it.

Could also have taken a hit, so get the rest of the suspension checked as well. 

• Like 1

Yeah, not bad mileage out of them - key thing to check though is if they have worn evenly across the tyre to check that the tracking is correct etc.

16k over 3 years is pretty good for front tyres, especially a "sport" version in my experience. Tyres wear down quicker the older they get. I've had 22k from Avon Tyres on the front over one year, then same model of tyres on the same car needing replaced at 19k over 2.5 years. 

The left wearing down more than the right can be due to many reason. Do you always go over the same bit of road that has an uneven camber for a decent distance? Same with corners and roundabouts. You could always get your cars tracking/wheel alignment when you get new tyres put on and it will tell you if there is a mechanical reason or it.  

Thanks everyone for your replies, maybe it was just me expecting more from tyres than maybe I should be! 

Move phones ford quoted £90 for a continetal tyre fitted and balanced include VAT. Tracking they want £40 for. They quoted me £60 for a budget GT tyre never heard of?

Arven - yes I do travel the same roads each day to work and some are uneven, a fair few pot holes to which won't help! I'll get my tracking done too. How often should you have tracking done? 

Thanks.

Is that without rotation?  18k on the front is good!!

Tracking 'should' be done yearly, but it never is lol.  I just have it done each time new tyres are fitted.  Also should be done after hitting a kerb or pothole hard.

I've normally use National Tyres for my tyres, good prices, friendly garages that can normally fit me in early morning or weekends and their puncture guarantee is handy to have. Even though I've only used it once in 7 years. 

They normally always have a discount on buying multiple tyres, and on wheel alignment. I only ever get wheel alignment done if I think there is an issue. Had it done 3 times over 7 years/10600 miles in my Clio. 

Thanks, yes that's without rotation on the front tyres Tom.

I will have a shop about today and get it booked in, been relegated to using the bus this week now! :( 

thanks 

One pair of tyres I had only lasted 9k on the front!!  They weren't even any good, were Toyo T1Rs, I've never been so disappointed by a tyre that was recommended by most people at the time lol. 

Formula One tyres do good deals online, also get a bit back through topcashback if you use that.  I noticed you said the price for one tyre above, not sure if you're only thinking of buying one but I'd recommend buying a pair together if so. 

Think I'd have swapped it to the back to avoid using the bus btw lol!

I had the conti sport 5 205/40r17 all round from new and rotated them regular, I replaced all 4 tyres at once albeit with still a little left on them approx. one year ago (think the car had done mid-twenties but not too sure) for hankoook ventus v2 and they seem to be a better wearing tyre with no compromise on road noise or general feel/handling etc. done approx 10-15k miles with them and they still have plenty left on them (I usually change when down around 2mm). Although I don't drive it hard etc which is probably one of the main factors for quick tyre wear.

Local tyre garage supplied, fitted/balanced etc for around £65-£70 per tyre inc vat etc from memory.

The hankooks are wearing very well by the looks of things.

As has been mentioned keep an eye on the tracking and pressures (theres a big difference to what they should be at if you only drive the car yourself mainly etc or regularly carry passengers). I keep them at 35psi (fronts) and 26psi (rears) I'm sure it is, check at the passenger door pillar for the recommended psi plate. 

Hi Tom didn't think about the rotation got the bus in the end!

I've been given a few quotes today dave £99 each at ford but the best I've found is the Continental sport contact 5 from Halfords auto centre £85 fitted and balanced etc or 2 plus 10% off.

the Continental I presume is a good tyre?

I don't drive it mental I just think I've hit a pot hole the trackings moved and warn without me looking. I checked the pressure yesterday and there all on 32 which is what I normally keep them all on, should it be more?

Continentals are a premium brand yeah, should be good!

If the pressure was far too low it'd be wearing both edges, 32psi sounds roughly right but as above, check the recommendation on the car. 

Ok thanks I'll double check I never let it get below 32 check the pressure most weeks. 

Conti sport 5's are very good tyres which I have all round on my ST and they never let me down irrespective of how hard I drive.

If you haven't tried yet have a look at ASDA tyres they use Halfords for fitting but are often cheaper. Also try online companies such as Camskill or Blackcircles they have prices for tyres only or fitted 

oponeo has decent prices for tyres but you'll have to get them fitted somewhere

Thanks everyone,

ill have a look around then £86 per tyre fitted for continetal sport 5's is the cheapest I've found so far.

ideally want them fitted in the price 

I was looking at these continetal next as had them on my old car and i think there an amazing tyre.

Sounds like there getting good reviews the sport contact 5's

14 minutes ago, Fenners said:

Sounds like there getting good reviews the sport contact 5's

They are excellent. Very good in dry, exceptional in the wet.

Check black circles or e-tyres for pricing - they also have mobile fitting etc.

Cheapest I've got is Halfords auto centre £80 each fitted and balanced includes VAT. Conti sport contact 5's 

That's an excellent price order them quickly before they realise their mistake

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

15 minutes ago, Philf1 said:

That's an excellent price order them quickly before they realise their mistake

I agree! I had to double check their website, and on for £83.99. That is significantly cheaper than I've seen before from anyone else.

I've ordered 2 today for fitting Friday! I can't find them cheaper so looks like a good buy.

ill have a look Phil thanks.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club