Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Oxidation by hand?

Jon84

So, when I bought the car, I was promised a MOP of the paint work.

A month later and some showers, it's quite clear they've just glossed over everything in a rush to have the car ready for me. The paint is dull on several panels, it doesn't look like the clearcoat has been breached, it looks more like there is crap all over it!

The question is, is it possible to use compounds by hand?

I am not in a position to buy an expensive polisher or pay anyone to do it at the moment. Are the cheap DAs any good? I'm not so bothered if the machine doesn't last, or if the bundled pads crumble after I'm done. I just wanna clean it up a bit!

TIA

Jon

Mop is an outdated dealership term that makes me want to cry.

They've most likely thrown super resin polish allover it or used a dedicated filler glaze

If you're after a cheap Da, the cheapest I would ever go is the DAS6.

but yes, you can remove oxidisation by hand. No, it's not easy & no, it's not fast

Any questions don't hesitate to ask

Kieran

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

12 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

:laugh:

That's not as terrible as I first thought

yes, you can remove oxidisation by hand. No, it's not easy & no, it's not fast

Will give it a shot by hand, and if my arm falls off or I get bored I'll invest!!!

Any suggestions on a compound that would be used by hand? I'm assuming I can use something more cutting by hand? 

:laugh:

That's not as terrible as I first thought

yes, you can remove oxidisation by hand. No, it's not easy & no, it's not fast

Will give it a shot by hand, and if my arm falls off or I get bored I'll invest!!!

Any suggestions on a compound that would be used by hand? I'm assuming I can use something more cutting by hand? 

Not a fan of meguirs, but I happen to know that their ultimate compound is good by hand.

For oxidisation you're best with a minimum of two stages really. Cut. Then finish. Then apply some decent protection

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Just now, GingerFlame said:

Not a fan of meguirs, but I happen to know that their ultimate compound is good by hand.

For oxidisation you're best with a minimum of two stages really. Cut. Then finish. Then apply some decent protection

Ah right, that is unusual, I haven't used them before either as always assumed they were a Halfrauds special.  

Protection was always stage 2 :)

Ah right, that is unusual, I haven't used them before either as always assumed they were a Halfrauds special.  

Protection was always stage 2 :)

Meguirs is a family company that's over 100 years old! Halfords just happens to stock them. Good products, I just personally don't get on with them.

2 stage meaning

Stage 1 cut

Stage 2 refine

Then protection.

Although I usually go

Cut/heavy cut

Medium

Refine

Then if necessary a cleanser/jeweller.

Then protection of some sort, wether it be a wax, sealant or ceramic coating :)

• Like 2