Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ghosts in my headlights

wilto

Hi all, I've noticed a "ghost" in each of my headlights. The white is actually inside the glass, it's not the light or anything.Does anyone know what's causing it and how to remedy it, thanks guys.

image.jpg

I think it is just heat from the bulb which has caused that.

Have you ever used higher rated bulbs than standard?

• 2 weeks later...

No only used standard rated bulbs, it's really bugging me though, any ideas how to get rid of it ?

If it is heat or UV damage then it will be all the way through the plastic, so replacing the headlight would be the only option :(

What you could try is pour I bit of isopropyl alcohol in there and swirl it over the white stuff. And wash it to the corners.

This is assuming that its not burnt and not removable.

Cheers guys, does anyone know if the headlamp splits apart, I know on my previous car a Mondeo mk2 they did, because I did the "black eye" mod, if they do then I could tackle it from inside 

its delaminated the plastic replacements the only option usually caused by using non UV bulbs safe for plastic lenses which not all bulbs are also the mk3 st has an issue where some headlights had a manufacturing defect also mk3.5 causing them to delaminate

On the Focus MK2.5 white spots on the headlight lenses are a common problem.  In most cases the white spots are caused by the sidelight bulbs. The original T10 W5W sidelight bulbs that Ford used during production generate too much heat which causes the inside of the lenses to discolor.

Installing lower power T10 W3W or T10 LED Bulbs prevents white spots.

the standard ford ones melted the plastic holder, I think its a bit of a design flaw if I'm honest.

as for cracking open the lens, its a royal pain in the ar$e, I kid you not, it seems that ford in their infinite wisdom used perma-seal on them or more specifically some of them. 

Ive recently done a Morimoto projector conversion on mine, the OS lamp cracked up fairly easy, heated it up to about 150c for 30 min, split open relatively easily, the NS lamp on the other hand wasn't for budging, in my haste I managed to split the whole rear of the lamp in half before the glue was going to give up its hold. Perma-seal needs it to be hotter than 200c to melt enough to release its hold. 

So now I'm stuck with one lamp done and in need of a replacement  for the other side :(

If anyone has any Cracked NS focus mk2.5 lamps kicking about id like to hear from you, I have lens. just need the rear section :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club