Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel turbo gone.. advice please?

MurdoD

hi. I have a 1.6 diesel mark 2 focus. The turbo has just gone (bearing) with what I understand to be a common issue with this engine. I believe it's my fault for not regular servicing, oil change etc so I need to suck it up. The garage has said various things will need cleaned out so the new turbo doesn't get damaged and they are going to give me a quote. Can anyone who has experienced this please give me a list of the procedures required?  I.e  Remove sump and clean it etc... Thanks!

Clean out sump.  Flush flush flush the engine, Replace turbo, oil pickup in sump, all the banjo bolts, & turbo oil feed

clean out Intercooler & pipes along with all the breather pipes. 

Also replace the injector seals too! these can leak & cause carbon deposits to clog up the oil ways for the turbo, hence blowing up.  

• Like 2

Cheers, I'll speak to the garage who has quoted me £600 and see if they are doing all of that.

there's a bit more to it than that, I cant find the full service bulletin but this is pretty close.  Most replacement turbo companies will not honour a warranty unless that's all been carried out.    

A lot of folk have driven only a few hundred yards when the new turbo blows because it wasn't dealt with properly the first time.  if they skip steps and it blows your going to have a battle between you, the garage and the manufacture, both of which will deny all responsibility leaving you in the crapper.

api-dv4ted6-carbon.pdf

• Like 2

Looks like all that is getting done for the 595, 24hr turnaround so have it back for the weekend. Spot on!

• Like 1

So garage started today.. called me with bad news.. another £100 worth of work needed because they found "gunk" when took away oil cap. Saying they gotta drop the oil sump and change the pickup and another flush. I trust the guy so reckon it's genuine.. just a gutter it's another 100!

so they didn't take the oil cap off before empting it then?

careful mate, make sure you get that service bulletin ticked and signed off as completed. 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2016 at 8:48 PM, MurdoD said:

Looks like all that is getting done for the 595, 24hr turnaround so have it back for the weekend. Spot on!

But "all that", if you read it, included dropping the sump and replacing the oil pick-up so why are your garage charging you and extra £100 for dropping the sump and replacing the oil pickup?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vendee said:

But "all that", if you read it, icluded dropping the sump and replacing the oil pick-up so why are your garage charging you and extra £100 for dropping the sump and replacing the oil pickup?

How much do you trust this guy?

• Like 1

it is critical the whole instructions are followed, i replaced a turbo before the carbon deposits issue was known about and 1st replacement lasted 400miles

• Like 1

The 595 quote came from a second garage based on what the first garaged quoted as needing done. I had to give up with first garage as I was waiting nearly a week before they would even quote on it.

Turns out first garage never mentioned dropping sump etc.

Place that has done the work came recommended by a long time mechanic friend (10yrs plus) who would of done it himself were he not in layed up unwell. I trust his advice.

I pointed the garage at the bulletin and said it had to be everything. I also only agreed to the work if there was a full warranty on all work and parts. They agreed to this (in writing) and said they highly recommend I take it back next month for another oil change.

I pick the car up at 10, along with a list of what they did. I'll report back here and you guys can let me know if you think worth the 700.

seems a bit off that they take off the sump and pickup, presumably clean or replace it, then notice something they missed and charge you for taking the sump off again.

Bet you they didn't realise that to take the sump off your need to remove the DPF and radiator fan

• Like 1

It'll be worth the £700 when they fit the next turbo free of charge under warranty. :wink: 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club