Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locking wheel nuts

mjt

I took my wheels off today to swap front to rear and take the opportunity to clean the inside bits the brush never reaches and also the wheelarch liners. When I refitted them the wheel nut key kept slipping and on inspection it looks as if some ape of a fitter has mangled it at some time. Now I need to decide :- do I buy a new set of locking nuts or just replace the key? In common with the other Fords I've owned the existing McGard nuts are rusting on the outer face so I'm tempted to invest in a better set but the question then is which ones to go for. Any suggestions based on members experience would be welcome.

you'll probably be quicker and easier buying another set rather than having to wait on a replacement key arriving.

• Like 1

Yes, well that would at least give me the opportunity to find some that are a better match, finish wise, to the other nuts. The finish on the OEM McGard nuts is very poor.

Would you advise going for the McGard style again or are there better, possibly more secure, types around?

to be honest I havent had any dealings with some of the newer McGard stuff but the locking nuts on my mondeo are original and still look very good - no signs of surface ruse or anything. I can only hazard a guess the newer stuff isn't as good?

• Like 1

Certainly on our Mk2.5 and on this Mk3 the front faces have gone rusty and the quality of the plating on the bodies doesn't look very good. I think the ones on our old Mk1.5 weren't quite so bad. I'll have a look round the local Auto centres and see what's available.

The newest locking nut version and nuts appear to be not rusting yet,

My nuts are shiny . Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Do you want to see them? :D

Nah! You're alright there mate. :shocking:

• Like 1

The newer locking nuts are far tidier and less likely to get ruined by corrosion or over-keen mechanics with windy guns.

That looks different. Is that a removable cap? The ones on our cars have the coded slot exposed.

No caps, that photo is from nuts that are nearly 3 years old and 44k , not rusting yet.

This is from our Mk2.5, 35K miles. The ones on the Mk3, 15K miles, were actually worse but I've wirebrushed them and given them a light spray of silver Hammerite.

How come yours don't have the coded slot visible?

IMG_1841.jpg

Ford changed the design of the nuts and locking nuts around Nov 2012

The coded slots are now on the external ring rather than in the face of the nut.

Locknuts.jpg.08fb80b39f067b3e42d7091fbca

• Like 1

Not before time judging by the way ours have gone. Yours look totally smooth so if they don't have a cap how does the key work?

Edit : Wow! Clive got in with the answer before I asked the question. :clapping:

• Like 1

Mine look awful with the rust as well. :sad:   Looks like you could do with a centre cap as well Mike!

Yes, Tom, the centres are starting to look a bit tatty. As with the locks they haven't worn nearly as well as the ones on the old 2003-plate Mk1.5 we just traded. Mind you I think they are susceptible to edge damage from an over-enthusiastic fitter taking them out for balancing.

Got a set of new McGard nuts from Halfrauds today. Nice shiny fully-chromed, they look so much better than the originals. I do wonder, though, whether they're as secure because I think the originals have an outer sleeve designed to make it more difficult to use the removal tools that are readily available.

regardless of what locking nuts are fitted they are all easily removed to the right (or wrong as it may be) person who wants the wheels. For example, the Dynomec wheel nut tools are very good. (out the reach price wise of one use diy though)

My locking nuts are the same design as yours Mike & mine look exactly the same.  Car has only just turned 35k as well

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, mjt said:

Yes, Tom, the centres are starting to look a bit tatty. As with the locks they haven't worn nearly as well as the ones on the old 2003-plate Mk1.5 we just traded. Mind you I think they are susceptible to edge damage from an over-enthusiastic fitter taking them out for balancing.

They push out from the back for balancing so there shouldn't really be any damage on them, mine had gone the same way though.  They're not overly expensive to replace so I changed the full set late last year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club