Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi i am now a newb please help me out

victor jones

Hi folks i have a question with regards to the drum brakes on my fiesta 1.4 tdci 2002

i replaced the bearing on my nearside drum and though i had fitted the circlip correct the open clip end with the holes looked well into the recess in the drum but today i took the car for a drive and to my amazement the wheel flew past me a 30 mph and i reacted well lol.

i got the wheel and noticed the drum hub still tight on the wheel then i looked and the hub nut was nice and tight and the bearing still on the Rear Stub Shaft then i felt sick how could the wheel come off the circlip.

can someone explain that it's only the circlip that holds everything together on the wheel and if it's not fitted in the recess 100%

well i cant compute i have worked on motorbike for years and rebuilt engines carbs and calipers this has tottaly zapped my brain

please someone confirm my only explination on why my wheel came off

Hi & welcome :cool:

Post in the Fiesta section, and did the hub come off with the wheel? lol  

no the drum cover was still bolted on to the wheel at 85nm 

bearing still on the Rear Stub Shaft and the hub nut still tight holding the bearing inplace

Hi i posted this question in the fiesta forum no replys kind of desperate to undersatnd what happened i am not going to start blaming anyone but myself here if the circlip is something i overlooked as being the most important part to hold things together

in the drum/wheel but i cant take the car anywhere let alone a garage until i am sure the reason behind the wheel comming off.

Yes, the circlip holds the bearing in...  It needs to be properly seated in the groove.

Was there a dash cam vid of the incident? :tongue: 

no but it's amazing how a near side wheel can fly past at 30mph on the drivers side i didnt think that was possible i wish i had a cam to film it LOL

the bearing i replaced didnt need any hydrolic press it just went in snug but i did improvise with a pair of scissors to and a dremmel to make circlip pliers but obviously they were not strong enough.

stupidly i though the 30mm hub nut keeps everything in place total face palm moment 

thanks for confirming this and dont hold back from ripping me lesson learned here. 

The fact the bearing went in without a press makes me worried from the start - what brand of bearing? Bearings come with different fitting tolerances and the one fitted in your brake drum should have been a tight fit.

p.s I did have a giggle to myself :lol:

• Like 3

normally a tight fit and press required as stef pionts out.

• Like 2

thanks ok i got it on eBay but do dont know if the rules here state if i can share the link but here is the specs

• Description : Wheel Bearing Kit
  • Unit Of Sale : Boxed Set
  • F/R R
  • Inner Diameter (mm): 29
  • Outer Diameter (mm): 53
  • Width (mm): 37
Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.25i No ABS     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.25i ABS (Front ASB)     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.4i, 1.4 TDCi No ABS     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.4i, 1.4 TDCi ABS (Front ASB)     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.6i, 1.6TDCi No ABS     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 1.6i, 1.6TDCi ABS (Front ASB)     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 2.0i ST No ABS     02-08

Rear

Ford Fiesta Mk.6 2.0i ST ABS (Front ASB)     02-08

Rear

i did remove the drum and took the bearing kit to 2 garages and both told me they were fully booked i explained i had the drum here and just need it pressed out and in 

greedly they were not intrested leave it here and come back tommorow i said no and fitted it myself 

sorry about the faded copie paste dont know what happened there ....must have lost my bearing's LOL

Lol, ah that's a shame, would've been interesting to watch! 

How 'loose' was it?  I've drifted (read: hammered) them in without a press before, albeit on Peugeots but drums are all pretty similar.

intresting enough the seller on eBay has sold 452 of these bearing kits so far ok just pulled the bearing box out the bin and your going to laugh its a ford mondeo 98 kit lbk8121 dunno if it's compatible but i am raging

i thought you said ford mondeo lol

mk1 focus bearing is the same as your Fiesta anyway.

yeah but i fitted it into my fiesta LOL and the advertisement on eBay was for a fiesta 1.4 tdci 2002-2008

when the wheel fell off this morning at 9 am i was 2 mins from home so got my tools and sorted it drove the car home and though what am i gonna do now and grabbed my haynes manual and went to my bed i though it was the best thing to do i woke at 12 o'clock this is a really bad day i just checked these mondeo bearings are not compatable with my fiesta 

i didnt check the box i feel like going to my bed again

right im confused here haha, is it a mondeo bearing or as per the pictures a mk1 focus (fiesta mk6) bearing? :lol:

yeah the box with a ford focus bearing  my head is up my ar~e now

Think we start from the beginning, why did you replace the bearing, play or noise or both, how difficult was it to remove?

maybe see if you can pluck an SKF bearing out of there then :lol:

the bearing was grinding eveytime i turned a corner gradualy getting worse and louder so i though i would do it quick

had some free play as well.

the focus bearing thats in there now will pop out with one finger but it's not loose in the drum i put some grease in there

so it's easy to remove

the old bearing was quite easy to remove but i did use the 30mm socked and hammered the races out and removed the circlip

put the races back in and hammered out the full bearing.

about 7 really good heavy blows with a hammer / socket got the bearing out 

48 minutes ago, victor jones said:

intresting enough the seller on ebay has sold 452 of these bearing kits so far ok just pulled the bearing box out the bin and your going to laugh its a ford mondeo 98 kit lbk8121 dunno if it's compatible but i am raging

Has the drum ever been replaced? 

done a search on google for bearing part number  fwk2961 not one link mentions fiesta apart from a seller on eBay

ok i am not going to start slagging people off here but you can imagine the damage to my back bumper and my wheel is 

buckled and scrap material. 

well i didn't read the box but my car is not a ford  focus so  kind of lost

no i bought the car about 7 months ago i would say everything is standard 

well measured the bearing that was in the drum that i smashed out and its 3.5mm

the ford focus bearing is 3.7mm and the circlip is thicker than the original one i smashed out  

no wonder i could not get the circlip sat in it's recess correctly

well that's me taught a lesson ford parts from now on or just scrap the car better than being dead.

anybody selling a alloy mk6 wheel and a rear bumper

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club