Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent (as doing this tomorrow), should I use semi or fully synthetic oil for my gearbox?

Fastlife91

A friend is replacing the gearbox oil in my car tomorrow, my car is a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI I looked online and it showed my car needs I think it was ( I have it written down somewhere anyway) 75w90 FULLY synthetic.

However my friend says he thinks it should be SEMI synthetic and he happens to have 2 bottles of semi synthetic in his garage. I also went to a auto parts shop and just asked them what oil I need, ( didn't tell them anything about Halfords saying fully synthetic) and the guy there said it should be SEMI SYNTHETIC .  So I was thinking of just using the semi synthetic that he has in his garage.

My gearbox feels great, just that the transmission light is on and car clunks in low gears, he suggests replacing gearbox oil to see if this fixes the problem so as we are going to do this tomorrow I want to make sure we have the right oil.

Is this the right oil ?

thanks

I wouldn't put it in mine, as Ford state it should be fully synthetic 75w/90, but it's up to you of course.

It sounds like your friend is trying to off load his spare semi synth oil on to you:huh:

I did answer this for you here, on another thread, last week.

Your gearbox will be the MTX75: only the 2.0L petrol had the MMT6

On 10/03/2016 at 2:50 PM, GMX said:

You need 1.9 Litres on the 5-speed MTX75 gearbox and 1.75 Litres on the MMT6 6-speed gearbox

You need fully synthetic 75w/90 and it needs to conform to API: GL-4, GL-5, MT-1 or Ford Specification: FORD WSD-M2C200-C

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GMX said:

I wouldn't put it in mine, as Ford state it should be fully synthetic 75w/90, but it's up to you of course.

It sounds like your friend is trying to off load his spare semi synth oil on to you:huh:

I did answer this for you here, on another thread, last week.

Your gearbox will be the MTX75: only the 2.0L petrol had the MMT6

I want this job done properly so maybe I will just go and get the fully synthetic oil then.

do Ford specifically recommend fully or does it not say ?

Can you put up a picture of the transmission light?  I didn't realise there was one for manuals, there's nothing electrical in there for it to find faulty!

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Can you put up a picture of the transmission light?  I didn't realise there was one for manuals, there's nothing electrical in there for it to find faulty!

Hi !

Sorry I don't have a photo of the transmission light right now.

t looks like the same light for the handbrake, but with an explanation mark.

which oil do you recommend for the gearbox, fully or semi ?

thanks

There is no transmission warning light on manual gearbox. Fully synthetic oil is what you need.

Ford have no change interval and therefore shouldn't need changing. Your clunking could be something else?

• Like 2

Ford recommend fully synthetic

That is your handbrake warning light with an explanation mark there is no transmission light on manual gearboxes

Have a look here, on this generic illustration of dash warning lights and what they mean

article-2381805-1b168141000005dc-779_964

• Like 1

The symbol I think you are referring to is power train warning light, normally associated with an emmisions fault or glow plugs

ford-focus-red-cog-exclamation-mark-warning.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GMX said:

Ford recommend fully synthetic

That is your handbrake warning light with an explanation mark there is no transmission light on manual gearboxes

Have a look here, on this generic illustration of dash warning lights and what they mean

article-2381805-1b168141000005dc-779_964

It is not my handbrake warning light, that comes on when my handbrake is engaged, goes off when handbrake is taken off.

The light that is on is number 54 on that diagram, but that reads automatic gearbox warning, but my car is a manual so why is this ??

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

The symbol I think you are referring to is power train warning light, normally associated with an emmisions fault or glow plugs

I'm not sure if it is my glow plugs, we tested them around December, each one glowed so my friend said they were fine.

however they could be faulty now, Car takes a few seconds to start in the morning sometimes lately, even took more than 10 seconds last week to start. car also chugs and has done for months, chugging goes away when you bring clutch to biting point, then when you let go off clutch it chugs again. only chugs occasionally and usually only when at idle

light that is on is number 54 on the diagram above, however that points to automatic gearbox warning light, my gearbox is manual though ??

It'll be what Ian said in the post above, very similar in appearance to a transmission light

11 minutes ago, iantt said:

ford-focus-red-cog-exclamation-mark-warning.jpg

If that's the light on, then the codes need reading out the pcm to ascertain what fault you have putting that light on.

And it won't be anything to do with gearoil change.

Has the MAF wiring been fixed yet?  It might be to do with that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GMX said:

It'll be what Ian said in the post above, very similar in appearance to a transmission light

Thanks

I don't even know what a powertrain is, is it something serious ?

I am changing the oil in my gearbox because it is clunking during low gear changes

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

If that's the light on, then the codes need reading out the pcm to ascertain what fault you have putting that light on.

And it won't be anything to do with gearoil change.

don't even know what a powertrain is. could it be something serious ?

I'm replacing gearbox oil as the car clunks during low gear change but goes into each gear fantastic so I guess it could just be gearboxil needs changing

could be wear on the chuckle sprocket. you'll need an adjustable whitworth spanner of all things to adjust it to compensate for the wear.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Has the MAF wiring been fixed yet?  It might be to do with that?

Not yet.  I got a new plug and a bit of wire ( cost £50) runs a bit better but eml on sill and still not right. was going to take it to auto electrician but then found out head gasket was gone despite only paying a garage £950  9 months ago to replace it (found out they only did waterpump) and they are refusing to offer to fix it.

I doubt the maf is causing powertrain light on as this light was on months before the maf problem

Stef, you forgot to say left-handed or right handed whitworth adjustable spanner?

• Like 3

Just now, stef123 said:

could be wear on the chuckle sprocket. you'll need an adjustable whitworth spanner of all things to adjust it to compensate for the wear.

I'm not sure he'll get it... :unsure:

The powertrain is basically is basically the engine, so the light could be on for various sensors or injectors etc, basically anything electrical on the engine.  So it needs to have the codes read to pinpoint which part is at fault. :smile: 

• Like 4

Those gearboxes are a nightmare to fill with oil unless you have a Fallopian tube.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, stef123 said:

what is a chuckle sprocket and are you saying that could cause a clunk noise ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure he'll get it... :unsure:

The powertrain is basically is basically the engine, so the light could be on for various sensors or injectors etc, basically anything electrical on the engine.  So it needs to have the codes read to pinpoint which part is at fault. :smile: 

I'm getting a headache now, I can do without all this hassle before sleep time. I have so many car questions that my head feels done in.

Right, I'll try and get a diagnostic test performed, car is chugging on idle sometimes, guess that could be related to powertrain error ?

thanks

• Like 1

Chugging at idle, check the wheezy valve - it should make a fast and continuous wibble sound. 

2 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Chugging at idle, check the wheezy valve - it should make a fast and continuous wibble sound. 

troll.

I'm not feeding you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

troll.

I'm not feeding you

Haha, oh come on :lol: 

• Like 2