Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ka going fine parked for two hours now wont start ?

Michael_D

My ka 1.3 2001 has been going fine but I drove
 6 miles tonight went out, came back jumped in
turned the key, it coughed and spluttered and 
was trying to kick in then it gave up the ghost
and was just turning over.
I left it a while and tried again but it was 
just turning over without even a hint of starting.
Any advice on why it has developed this fault or if
there are any known issues regarding would be appreciated.
Thanks

get the battery checked and the altinator as the colder morns puts more strain on the battery haveing to have had lights on more in the winter

23 minutes ago, delboy said:

get the battery checked and the altinator as the colder morns puts more strain on the battery haveing to have had lights on more in the winter

Thanks Martin for your quick reply
Amazingly enough even after a hard winter there is ooomhps of life in the battery even after turning the engine so much for a good while
I thought it was petrol even though I knew I put some in 2 days ago and it was showing 1/4 full, also there is a good spark from h/t lead
I am pondering over a blocked petrol filter (I dont know where this is located ?) or petrol pipe/hose as there is no smell of petrol when I
am turning it over  ? What is the best way to detect petrol flow to the engine block ?
I am old school and normally would suss out petrol = carb=easy detection
Thanks for any help on this

UPDATE : Im convinced lack of fuel is the cause, I will check the petrol filter. fuel pump fuse / relay and cut out sensor as I noticed there is no fuel pump noise when I turn on the ignition (I usually hear a noise before I start up and this I think is the fuel pump activating.  anything else to check / suggestions would be appreciated
P.S. Best way to check for petrol flow to engine block ?

Take the line off the inlet to the injector rail - its usually the one with the white square (I think!).
One with red square is the fuel return line.

Press the white square in and pull the line off - put the end of the line into a collector / bottle.

Turn the engine over and see if petrol is ejected.

If it isnt then you have a problem , i Would suspect perhaps a faulty fuel gauge and no petrol in the tank or maybe a faulty fuel pump.

I have the same problem on my Streetka - running fuel tank all the time with not a lot of fuel (being stingy on petrol filling up or faulty fuel gauge) can cause the fuel pump to overheat as it uses the petrol to cool it - worse when you are on a hill and all the fuel runs away from the pump to one end of the tank. I would drive for a bit then park - come back and it would try to start then fail - leave it for an hour or so and the fuel pump cooled down then it would start. Nightmare problem! Can also be the clogged intake sock on the fuel pump causing it to work harder than normal and overheat!

Filter is rarely a problem in my own experience - its just a can with a folded filter paper inside - See pictures in my gallery (anatomy of a fuel filter)!

If it is then petrol is getting to the injector rail - so it might be an electrical issue so i would then get a set of spark plug testers and check they are getting a spark.

Hi Gary and thanks for your insight to this headnip
Is the inlet to the injector rail at the back of the rocker box ? and if so would it be easy to locate, identify and within easy(ish) reach, I grew up with carburetors and distributors.
I put petrol in it even though it was reading ok on the meter. and a HT lead I tried is sparking, really its trial by elimination.
I cant hear the pump activating when I switch on the ignition and I usually do so maybe thats a pointer,, so I just need to know how to locate this injector inlet.
I have to go later on tonight to try a fix so any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Just trace the line from your fuel injectors back to the main inlet.

Two black metal pipes with one on top of the other both have a coloured square on them one white one red - at the front of the engine.

My car is a Streetka 1.6 so not sure if yours will be in the same position.

My advice would be to get a copy of the Ford TIS 2004 Cd/Dvd off eBay it will save you a lot of time and OBD Tester (saves £60 a go which you garage will charge you just for plugging theirs in), set of sparkplug testers , electrical earth tester screwdriver , multimeter and some good tools - believe me it will save you a fortune in the long run - i reckon over the years doing my own car mechanics has probably saved me over £20,000. All adds up eventually so not to be sniffed at.
Besides that its a good talent to have when you meet that sexy blonde female in the car park whose car has broken down and you fix it in a jiffy - lol True Story , we have now been going out for 10 years now!

Nag nag nag - bloomin eck - wish I have never learned car mechanics now haha

Women are like cars - they are great from new - no problems no hissy fits but as soon as they have been with you for a while they start to complain about things that were great when you met, break down every so often , fail to do what you want and nag nag nag you with constant ever present problems that just wont go away no matter how many new shiny bits and parts you fit.

lol so true!
>;o)

Thanks Gary, just remembered the ka coughed and spluttered last week when I was starting it but on that occasion it fired up so it looks like it was a fault waiting to happen, gonna check the plugs tomorrow (never checked them due to ka plug shear paranoia) I dont think that they would cause a total engine turning, non firing scenario ?
Cheers

Update : Eventually had time to check car and found the cause of the shutdown, lo and behold the fuel pump fuse was blown !
As I indicated in my previous reply it seemed to have developed an intermittent fault  Quote* I cant hear the pump activating when I switch on the ignition and I usually do so maybe thats a pointer,
Bottom line is don’t run your car low on petrol (guilty as sin on this one)as I am convinced this can cause problems regarding overheating fuel pump and clogging up with bottom of the tank debris

> Quote* Good advice from Omendata I have the same problem on my Streetka - running fuel tank all the time with not a lot of fuel (being stingy on petrol filling up or faulty fuel gauge) can cause the fuel pump to overheat as it uses the petrol to cool it - worse when you are on a hill and all the fuel runs away from the pump to one end of the tank. I would drive for a bit then park - come back and it would try to start then fail - leave it for an hour or so and the fuel pump cooled down then it would start. Nightmare problem! Can also be the clogged intake sock on the fuel pump causing it to work harder than normal and overheat

Thanks for your time and suggestion guys and hopefully this post can help others.

• 7 months later...

Can anyone offer me any advice ?

1.6 street ka , fitted new fuel pump as it packed in ,now just cranks over unless I spray brake cleaner into air box.

runs normal till I turn it off again then just cranks again .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club