Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 Headlights Blowing Saga

triggle3

Hi guys, new to the forum and am looking for some advice about my 1.6 Focus MK1.  Owned the car for around 4 years and in that time I have had to change out the headlight bulbs more times than I care to remember.

Now today after changing out another blown main beam bulb on the passenger side, the drivers side has now blown.  I am now sure that I have an electrical issue somewhere causing all of this and am trying to work out what steps I should take to try and track it down.

It is also worth mentioning that the headlight connector plug plastic on the passenger side has melted but does still work.  I have never had to change any other bulbs apart from the headlights.

So can anyone give me a list of potential causes or where I should be focusing my troubleshooting efforts?

Bad earth or loose electrical connection somewhere?

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

sounds like the smart charge alternator is over charging that will cause all of the issues above a simple dad test will tell you the reading shouldn't be higher than 14.4v

But surely the smart charge system can only play with what the alternators producing?

Therefore if the smart charge was to be producing to high a voltage, the alternator must be at the root of the problem?

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

not really smart charge is run by the pcm if a sensors faulty it will over charge the alternator is that an alternator the pcm and sensors do the rest you're alternator produces what smart charge tells it to produce using info from coolant sensors external temp engine temp etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club