Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not long got a focus 1.6 tdci

NeilT

Im new to this. I have not long bought a 1.6 tdci with 70.000 miles on the clock. Is there any common issues I should look out for? And is there any maintenance I should carry out more often than most?

Always do regular oil changes,I change mine every4-6000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Yep, 6k oil changes for a start.  Yearly/12k fuel filter changes as well, they seem to clog up far sooner than Ford recommend but aren't cheap.

Also remove the engine cover and check to injector seals aren't leaking as soon as possible, catching this early saves major issues down the line.

If it's a DPF model, be aware the DPF is only supposed to last 75k, so may already have been changed, or may not...  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, 6k oil changes for a start.  Yearly/12k fuel filter changes as well, they seem to clog up far sooner than Ford recommend but aren't cheap.

Also remove the engine cover and check to injector seals aren't leaking as soon as possible, catching this early saves major issues down the line.

If it's a DPF model, be aware the DPF is only supposed to last 75k, so may already have been changed, or may not...  

i changed 2 dpf last week!!

• Like 1

Ok thanks is there any special oil I should use? And what im I looking for around the injectors? And what sort of price would I be looking at for a new dpf or is it ok to have it removed?

The oil needs to be made to Ford's specification.  I use Mobil 3000 5w30, but there are a few around with the right spec.

Around the top of the injectors you're looking for black carbon deposits, and/or a 'chuffing' noise with the engine running. 

New DPF is around £200 for a non-genuine part (only lasted 3 months for me! :sad: ) or £800 for a genuine one.  Removing them is illegal...but that's not to say people don't do it. 

• Like 1

Ok I'll keep an eye out for the carbon. And  what would recommend to do as I ant got a lot of money? And someone I worked with said something about the turbo ant really reliable

I think it's good practice when starting car to idle for awhile before and after your journey,don't ask why but I did read something about it being good for the turbo lol.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Just keep an eye on how often the DPF regenerates for now (fans running after engine shut off usually indicates a regen).  If it's not often then it should be fine for now.

The turbo isn't the problem, it's the carbon in the oil that causes it to break, regular oil changes, no leaking injectors and a clear (not blocked) DPF all help to avoid turbo failure.

• Like 1

Ok thanks I'm doing 35miles to and from work and the fan don't seem to stay on but when I do that odd 2-3mile and turn off the fan seems to stay on for agers though dose that mean anything? And it never smokes or anything to indicate that its doing a regen.

Probably just unlucky and it's trying to regen on the short journey.  It'll start again next journey though so should be fine.  Mine never smoked during regens either, not enough to see in the mirror anyway.

If you've got a laptop you could always get a modified ELM327 cable with FORscan and see if there are any DPF codes stored to give you peace of mind that it's fine.  Can also read live data with it to see how high the pressure is getting in the DPF as well.

• Like 1

Ok as it ant a problem at the monent but ill keep an eye out thank you guys you have been so much help 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club