Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance problems

CookieM

I'm currently insured with hastings on my Focus ST2. It was a bit of a hassle getting this insurance transferred over from my previous car due to the power/insurance group of the car and my age (24). I'm now trying to transfer the insurance over to my new car Focus ST3 which i pick up next week.

I rang Hastings about a month ago and they said that there will be no problem transferring it over and that it will only cost me an extra £40 but as it's over 30 days until i want it activated i'll have to ring back closer to the time. I rang back yesterday and now they are refusing to transfer it. It turns out that they did the previous quote on a different ABI code, but my new reg isn't returning anything at the moment so i can't be sure which one is the correct ABI code for my car.

My next problem is that this policy ends in May and i'm 25 in June. The easy option would be to go with another insurer, but these quotes are coming back at £1200 whereas if i change my DOB back so it's as if i'm 25, the premium is halved. I was hoping to stay with my current insurer until may, take out a new policy and pay monthly (for one month) then cancel and take out a policy for ~£600 which will save me about £500.

I guess my options are as follows;

• Take the hit on a new policy and cancel hastings
  • Wait a few more days and hope my reg shows up on the DVLA system and the ABI code is the first one they quoted on.
  • Find out a way to get my ABI code before (will DVLA or dealer be able to provide this?)

Anyone got any advice?

Sounds stressful. I'd firstly phone the dvla and ask them about the ABI code as it sounds like they issue it. When you get an answer contact your insurer to get their reply. Dependant on that then sack them and take a policy elsewhere as you've stated yourself. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

How about just having a 1 month policy (or however long you need to your 25th), I'm sure somewhere would be able to do it, most brokers should be able to.

Might be cheaper than paying the cancellation fees.

Although I don't know if it will only drop the premium if you are 25 at the time of the quote, or 25 when it starts.

They should be able to find the ST-3 without the ABI code, but it will be higher risk than an ST-2.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

How about just having a 1 month policy (or however long you need to your 25th), I'm sure somewhere would be able to do it, most brokers should be able to.

Might be cheaper than paying the cancellation fees.

Although I don't know if it will only drop the premium if you are 25 at the time of the quote, or 25 when it starts.

They should be able to find the ST-3 without the ABI code, but it will be higher risk than an ST-2.

25th is not until 8th of June. I just tried some quotes for temporary insurance and none of them will give me one!

They can find it without the ABI code but they seemed to have selected two different options which are both described as Focus ST3, 5dr manual 1999cc but produce different ABI codes.

I just spoke to dealer who said it won't show up on DVLA systems until it's been taxed and it won't be taxed until the day i pick the car up. I tried ringing DVLA but they couldn't give me any information.

I think i may just leave my current policy active for a few days after i pick the new car up (i've got 7 day driveaway from ford anyway) and hopefully by then the reg will return a make/model. Then it'll just rely on what hastings say. If they still refuse i'll have no choice but to cancel and take the hit with the high premium until my next renewal. Upside of this is at least i'll have an extra years ncb a little quicker.

There is the pre and post facelift.

The pre facelift is listed in the description as: "FOCUS ST3 (247), 5 Door Hatchback, 1999, Manual, Petrol"

The post facelift is listed as: "FOCUS ST 3, 5 Door Hatchback, 1999, Manual, Petrol"

You want the post facelift one.

• Like 1

Ah i see. Well hopefully the first time they quoted it was on the facelift one, then when my reg shows up it should bring back that!

After all this rigmarole i doubt they'll just take my word for it that it's the previous one and let me change it over. They'll probably want to see it come from DVLA.

I'll just keep checking DVLA reg checker until it shows up and give it another try.

What a PITA!

The other option is to give them a reg for a post facelift ST3, and ask them to use the ABI code which comes up for that.

25 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The other option is to give them a reg for a post facelift ST3, and ask them to use the ABI code which comes up for that.

Would you mind PM'ing me yours to use?

EDIT: Don't worry.. i've got one

Just spoken to Hastings. Still outright refusing to insure me even though they said it was fine before.

Looks like i've got no option but to take out the policy for £1200 and cancel Hastings :(

Bit of a bigger dent in my pocket than i wanted but not much i can do...

Bit of an update..

Don't know how i did it but managed to get Admiral down to £830 for a 10 month policy.

So it's kind of worked out better for me in the end. I get an extra years no claims a bit quicker than i would have and hopefully i'll be able to get away without paying the cancellation fee to Hastings. Probabaly still about £150 down compared to the original plan but it's much less than i was expecting and a lot less hassle too!

• Like 1

On 21 March 2016 at 0:03 PM, CookieM said:

I just tried some quotes for temporary insurance and none of them will give me one!

I was declined the 7 day complimentary drive away insurance provided by Ford, so tried arranging temp cover to allow me  to collect my car last week. They didn't want to insure me either...ended up having to pay for an annual policy which wasn't cheap - may cancel this and give Flux a try. 

After seeing an advert on the back of an artic which made me pisss myself I urge everyone to try Spitfire Insurance. I'm gonna give them a try as my insurance is up soon.