Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion Scuttle Scuttle Tray Water ingress in Engine bay

90Ninety

Hi 

On the newly purchased Ford Fusion I got  There was a  puddle of water and some some 1-2mm thick  rust  corrosion inside of the top of the cup shaped well around the  front strut ( top)   , this I suspected was due the perishing rubber seals and collected crud  on the scuttle tray if I am not wrong?  . So I went about removing the scuttle tray to clean and  inspect , there was indeed perished rubber-seal remains on the scuttle tray but also it seemed the water is led to seep onto the top of the strut ( drivers Side) and there was a plastic fastener missing in this area also which may have been a contributing factor ( seen in picture when scuttle is re-mounted 0 

I took the scuttle off to attack the rust and water around the top mount strut , It's not serious but wanted to clean it up to reduce any further corrosion . However I am still concerned about water hitting the inside of the car engine bay .It seems after reinstalling the scuttle tray ,, there are gaps and further possibility of water ingress  which seem to be a common bug bear of these cars  

Here are some pictures of the removed scuttle tray , along with traces of a rubber like seal. Please see pictures and comment on any ideas of solutions . Perhaps I am worrying about nothing, or perhaps there are scuttle parts and seals missing  if not  I would like to hear replies 

Scuttle removed 1.jpg

Scuttle 2.jpg

scuttle mounted.png

skuttle gap on windscreen.jpg

scuttle 3.jpg

The scuttle should sit flush with the windscreen. There should be a bit at the bottom of the windscreen that when you fit the scuttle it should 'clip' onto the bit on the windscreen to keep it there

all fusion and fiesta 2002-2008 get water in the o/s strut top, quite normal to see.

pain in the neck when it comes to repkacing springs as the corrosion gets into the strut threads , then new strut required.

+1 for the strut tops getting filled with water, I cleaned mine out and filled with grease, then plugged the hole with the rubber caps you can get for the Fiesta

• Like 1

The scuttle should sit flush with the windscreen. There should be a bit at the bottom of the windscreen that when you fit the scuttle it should 'clip' onto the bit on the windscreen to keep it there

56f834ea517e3_scuttleclips.thumb.jpg.e31Do you mean the hard plastic scuttle sits on the glass , or is there a rubber strip ? There appeared to be partly deteriorated rubber on the scuttle edge ( window edge )  which leads me to believe the gap is there for a reason :unsure:

Which clips are you talking about , do you mean these in picure  ? 

I pushed the scuttle on as hard as possible , it seems clipped in place , lines up with plastic rivets each side, what gives ?

Anyone care to share a picture of their scuttle and window?

If you look at your 2nd photo above in your original post you see a groove on the scuttle, there should be a strip at the bottom of the windscreen that slips into that groove to hold it flat against the windscreen.

It should sit flush like this!

image.jpeg

On 3/28/2016 at 9:48 PM, Russ said:

there should be a strip at the bottom of the windscreen that slips into that groove to hold it flat against the windscreen.

Am I being thick or ham fisted ?.The scuttle is one solid piece ( apart from what appears to be  remnants of rubber - perhaps  perished  seal)  ,

When the scuttle is removed there is just the bottom of the screen glass , there is no clips of fastening on the glass itself  , It appears the screen glass just 'slots' into the scuttle   , the scuttle is held in with hooks on the chassis (as shown on the sixth image) 

However there is two grooves in the scuttle ( see ninth image below )  and  the bigger inner groove seems to fit the screen glass but, I might be wrong ?

Perhaps I am in the wrong groove ,  though the outer  smaller groove  has remnants of something unknown  so will need to clean out and try again in outer groove I guess 

just_glass_windscreen.png

scuttle remnants 1.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK 

So after removing the scuttle , after close inspection it was indeed in two pieces , there is a strip which is supposed to be fixed onto the window but instead had came away with the scuttle . Annoyingly the clasps designed for  holding the 'retaining strip'are useless . they are not user serviceable they simply do not hold the strip aginst the window tight enough  once the scuttle was reinstalled - Very poor design for an otherwise solid car . 

Not only are the clasps not serviceable but it is going to be almost impossible to replace the clasps but, why ? The clasps are riveted on to the chassis , access to the rivets is obscured slightly by  the front windscreen , making it a seemingly impossible job . 

Even so , where the hell would I find these things ? 

Even if the damned clasps are replaced , they are fiddly as hell in design , with tiny 1mm blocks which slot into the levers to hold them in place - Couldn't they use something simpler :wallbash:?

stupid_clasp.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club