Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Tax

Messiahbrowny

If you buy a car and the tax online says july 1st. 

are you able to drive the care for few days because DVLA won't had received the change of ownership for a good 3/4 days?

Could you drive it till say the end of the month?

I would say yes because when for instance you buy from a garage you tax the car that day, sign all the documents and drive away. The garage then send the signed documents on to DVLA. So if you've bought privately you'll do exactly the same.

just an addition though that YOU have to tax the car as once you buy it the tax already on it ceases to be active.

• Like 1

Tax is now non transferable so you would get done by dvla since they will see car sold to you on 26th but you never taxed it till 1st which is breaking the law hence in the post fine from dvla

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Change of ownership can be done online now, takes like 2 working days to get the new V5. 

You can't SORN it for 4 days, so if its on private property I'd just tax it from the 1st of next month.  They don't fine for that unless I've just been lucky so far lol.  If you're driving it and get pulled though, I doubt you'll get away with no tax even for a few days.

• Like 1

I doubt they would look back and compare change of ownership date with taxing etc...  I always buy the tax the day after buying a car, but you could easily leave it a week before their system would update (going by the website check facility for MOT and Tax status).

It's always better to be safe than sorry, but in my experience (of never getting a fine even when cars have lapsed to untaxed status) you should be OK as long as you don't just forget about it completely.

They don't need to look back. When they update the owner details the system will pop a red flag that it was changed on say 26th and not taxed till the 1st so a week of no tax. The computer can automatically see that and issue you a fine. However I don't think dvla currently chase it up that quickly atm

• Like 1

And remember new laws state tax is non transferable and driving without tax is an offence

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catmand00 said:

They don't need to look back. When they update the owner details the system will pop a red flag that it was changed on say 26th and not taxed till the 1st so a week of no tax. The computer can automatically see that and issue you a fine. However I don't think dvla currently chase it up that quickly atm

As I say, never happened to us but you are right that it could, and for that reason it is better to play it safe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, catmand00 said:

And remember new laws state tax is non transferable and driving without tax is an offence

That's the important part.  The DVLA don't just chuck fines around when their system sees a few days of tax missing, you can't SORN for short amounts of time so leaving it untaxed for a few days doesn't seem to be an issue.  I wouldn't drive without though!!

It is the new keepers responsibility to tax the vehicle online or at a Post Office immediately.

That is what the new keeper supplement (V5C/2) is for, the seller must give you that part of the V5C on purchase, fill in the new keepers details and send the rest to DVLA themselves.

This used to be the new keepers responsibility but that was changed due to too many cases of people buying a car and never transferring keeper details thus dodging speeding fines and parking tickets.

Thank you for replies i will sort the tax out.

He sent the Change of ownership off Saturday so DVLA won't get it till Tuesday?

So am right in saying the car is still Taxed till then at least and would passing the police flag anything up if taxed?

I have insured the car now so won't that affect the Tax if i don't change it now or the police database?

6 minutes ago, Messiahbrowny said:

Thank you for replies i will sort the tax out.

He sent the Change of ownership off Saturday so DVLA won't get it till Tuesday?

So am right in saying the car is still Taxed till then at least and would passing the police flag anything up if taxed?

I have insured the car now so won't that affect the Tax if i don't change it now or the police database?

You have to tax the car check here https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ to see if it is, if it's not tax it now

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

You have to tax the car check here https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ to see if it is, if it's not tax it now

• Vehicle status Tax not due

Taxed till 1st july i wanted to hold out till the 1st if am honest but worried if i went out in it now police would pull me:/

As soon as the DVLA get the new ownership papers you will have to get it taxed so keep checking that site :) @Messiahbrowny

59 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

As soon as the DVLA get the new ownership papers you will have to get it taxed so keep checking that site :) @Messiahbrowny

does the site update daily? if he sent it saturday just gone i would  say weds they get it.

so am safe to drive at the moment police stop me won't have the name of the person who taxed it?  @Ryan_Tango

No you cannot drive the car without tax on it.

Once you buy the vehicle you are responsible for the tax liability, the tax on the car from the previous owner is not transferable, simple as that. You need to tax the car immediately to drive it on the road.

There are no excuses to this whether we like it or not.

If you drive the car without taxing it you are breaking the law simple as that. Not to mention you are openly admitting on a public forum to wanting to drive an untaxed car on the road.

I frankly cannot believe the comments on here suggesting you drive without tax on the car, that is very bad advice and people should know better than to give such bad advice.

If you don't want to pay for a months tax then don't collect the car until the 1st of the month that is the only way around it otherwise you are liable for the tax for this month even though it is only for a week or so. It sucks I agree but that is the law.

• Like 2

Not too mention no tax means your insurance will be invalid too so breaking another law, is it really worth it?

• Like 1

Immediately you take ownership of the vehicle the tax the previous owner paid for is NO longer active, YOU must pay for new tax on the vehicle or your mot/insurance will be 'null & void' if you are pulled up by the police. 

How many times do you have to be told....JUST TAX THE CAR!

• Like 2

Well, that's him told :nono:

Seriously though, in this day and age there is no excuse not to tax your car.  If you don't want to pay for 6 or 12 months in a lump sum, you can even set up a monthly direct debit (of around £10-20p/m depending on the car) online which taxes the car immediately and doesn't require an initial payment for 7-14 days.  So even if you don't have the money right now, you can still tax your car!!

• Like 1

not sure i can do my focus monthly ? £1.66 a month. lol

I can even tax mine monthly and it's only £30 a year lol

• Like 1

My tax was really expensive.

A whole zero pounds. Was amazed. My 1.25 was £30 a year.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club