Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Superchips Bluefin - Worth it or not?


i2
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can answer that right away. 100 percent worth it (depending on make and model)

I have the 140PS Red Edition, and after having a bluefin installed (takes about 15 mins) it now glues me to my seat everytime i put my foot down.

2nd gear has gone from the most disappointing gear to the absolute best, and there is a huge increase in torque which in turn makes the car respond faster and harder.

It varies on the gains from car to car, just check their website (http://www.superchips.co.uk/) but is probably the best 330 quid i've spent on a car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Looking on their website they state for a 1.6 tdci there is a 88bhp and a 93bhp version, i was lead to believe mine is 95bhp does any anyone know if the 1.6 is 93 or 95. I doubt there would be two versions with 2hp difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/03/2016 at 1:28 PM, Taylor22 said:

Looking on their website they state for a 1.6 tdci there is a 88bhp and a 93bhp version, i was lead to believe mine is 95bhp does any anyone know if the 1.6 is 93 or 95. I doubt there would be two versions with 2hp difference.



This threw me when I was looking at a Bluefin on my old ZS TDCI. 

Mine was the 88bhp version with the old PSA lump in it. The confusion on BHP figures is due to classification... Ford Classify the vehicle at 95ps which equates to 93bhp. Its just the type of measurement which causes the marginal difference. 

The 95ps version is the 93bhp that you see on Superchips website. 

The upgrade itself is the easiest, most convenient mod you'll do. As your vehicle is Turbo-D you'll likely see approx 30bhp increase and a bucket load more Torque. Trust me, having had one on a vehicle basically same as yours (Different MK mind you) its the best £300-350 you'll spend on your car!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 3/25/2016 at 10:53 AM, i2 said:

I can answer that right away. 100 percent worth it (depending on make and model)

I have the 140PS Red Edition, and after having a bluefin installed (takes about 15 mins) it now glues me to my seat everytime i put my foot down.

2nd gear has gone from the most disappointing gear to the absolute best, and there is a huge increase in torque which in turn makes the car respond faster and harder.

It varies on the gains from car to car, just check their website (http://www.superchips.co.uk/) but is probably the best 330 quid i've spent on a car.

Hey, is it easy to install yourself? And how much of a hit does the mpg take? I'm not hugely savvy on how this works, Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of people wouldn't want to take the risk but isn't the bluefin easily removed, so in theory you could just not tell insurance and remove the map if you ever needed to make a claim. 

Unrelated to this if you remove the map can you then re install it and sell it on? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bluefin is easily put on and taken off and takes about 10 minutes each time.

I had to take mine off on thursday as the car was being checked for an adaptive headlight fault and if they had needed to do anything involving the ECU I would have lost the modified map requiring Superchips to resend an updated version.

You can transfer a Bluefin handset to another car but as each map is coded to a particular car Superchips require you to send the updated map software back to verify that it isn't still installed on your car.

They then charge about £120 to reset the handset for other users which saves about £200 on getting a whole new unit.

I would not recommend failing to tell insurance companies as it is rumoured (but never confirmed) that remaps leave a 'Hex' code on the ECU that they can find and justify them invalidating any claims.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Bluefin is easily put on and taken off and takes about 10 minutes each time.

I had to take mine off on thursday as the car was being checked for an adaptive headlight fault and if they had needed to do anything involving the ECU I would have lost the modified map requiring Superchips to resend an updated version.

You can transfer a Bluefin handset to another car but as each map is coded to a particular car Superchips require you to send the updated map software back to verify that it isn't still installed on your car.

They then charge about £120 to reset the handset for other users which saves about £200 on getting a whole new unit.

I would not recommend failing to tell insurance companies as it is rumoured (but never confirmed) that remaps leave a 'Hex' code on the ECU that they can find and justify them invalidating any claims.

Sent from my SM-G930F

if a pcm update is carried out you wont be able to put map back on, and still will need Bluefin to redo the map, been there, done that.lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is that too.

One thing I do like about my Bluefin is that if you are leaving the car parked up somewhere a bit 'dicey' you can use the handset to remove the tuned map off the ECU and not return the original map thus totally immobilising the car.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, iantt said:

if a pcm update is carried out you wont be able to put map back on, and still will need Bluefin to redo the map, been there, done that.lol

Not sure what a pcm update is. I'm assuming it's just an update to the mapped software so that if you had taken it off and then tried to put it back on you'll be trying to put the updated software on which you need to pay superchips another fee for? 

I only ask about removing and re installing as it makes it more attractive to get knowing I could sell it once done to recoup a small amount of the money as opposed to paying £299 on a custom map where I'll never see the money again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what swung it in my mind to get the Bluefin rather than a custom rolling road map.

The coding may not be as bespoke with a handset but you have the recoupable value of it for resale.

The big problem with a custom map is if it gets overwritten with a dealers update then you have to pay for a full remap again.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea I have £6,000 saved up which I'm gonna use to pay the car off finance next may so anything I spend which I can't get some back will mean I'll have to push paying the car off back. I've spent about £550 on things which I can either transfer to a new ford or sell and £300 on things I can't. I can justify spending more on things I'll be able to sell later as I just see it as an investment. Think I'll be getting a blufein in the next month or two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fiesta1881 said:

Hi sorry to jump in but I am looking into getting bluefin and looking at the price for my car, superchips £399/demontweeks on ebay £332 is anyone else selling at a lower price or is 332 a good deal.

£332 is the VAT free offer Superchips recently had running on their website so I'm guessing this has been matched by other online retailers 

I wouldn't mind betting once that eBay listing ends they put the price back up (if it doesn't fair play) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Summer mod for me then! Going to get front end done first. ZS Grill chrome surround. ZS fog light surrounds. Aero foil splitter, HIDS and eyebrows. I will ring admiral as mentioned to double check the premium. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership