Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Superchips Bluefin - Worth it or not?

i2

6 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

It doesn't void the ford warranty either does it? 

Yes it will but Superchips provide their own cover 

• Like 2

Ah right, so superchips would sort everything out if a fault was to occur? 

(Touch wood)

• Like 1

Most tuners will provide 12 months 12k mile warranty on there tunes. I've used bluefin on 2 cars and loved them. Also used the money back option when an issue developed that could'nt be resolved. Superchips are a good firm with a good reputation.

• Like 2

It's a bit worrying the first time you install it when warning messages flash up and everything goes dead for 10 minutes but once finished it's all worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F

On 16/04/2016 at 7:59 PM, Cookey09 said:

It doesn't void the ford warranty either does it? 

it does

All maps void warranty except mountune MP135 map which personally is a waste of money.

• Like 2

As soon as the 12month warranty is up for superchips, could the ford warranty kick back into place?😏

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking of this for mine.

I have my car on Finance though, is it easy to remove? Also the thing about warranty.... if something goes wrong after 12 months thats me in a sticky situ right?

You can remove the map if need be but it does leave evidence on the ecu that it's been mapped.

If ford were to look they would find its been mapped and refuse any warranty claim.

So basically if warranty is important then remapping isn't for you.

I have bluefin on mine and it's on a 3 year deal.

I take the map off when it goes anywhere the dealers and had no dramas from them even when they plugged the car in to program a new headlight after my adaptive lighting went screwy.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have bluefin on mine and it's on a 3 year deal.

I take the map off when it goes anywhere the dealers and had no dramas from them even when they plugged the car in to program a new headlight after my adaptive lighting went screwy.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I really badly wanna get a remap for my focus as its only got 100hp. If I get the bluefin it'll go up to 141 but I'm scared of voiding my warranty. Do you think I should do it?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Same here just got a Fiesta 100bhp Titanium with the bodykit on and fancy remap it takes it to 137bhp + 75Nm more torque but not sure on voiding my warranty as it's brand new. Any help would be great.

Alan

If your worried about warranty then remapping isn't for you. All remaps except Mountunes MP kits (only on 125 and 140ps models) void your engine warranty.

Saying that, picking a remap that can be removed is definitely worth considering for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go for the Superchips remap last week, no regrets whatsoever. Very easy to install with the Bluefin plug and play unit, (many thanks Willy for your video guide and other useful information on this forum).

A fast cross-country trip up to the Midlands from Essex yesterday (M11/A14) revealed far punchier acceleration without loss of bottom end flexibility. Fuel consumption was a bit heavier but that was mainly due to me exploiting what was now on offer and well worth the penalty. 31bhp increase on top of 123 is quite a lot, however my annual insurance premium only went up by £52 (Esure) so again, well worth it. Mind you I am an old codger of 66 so maybe younger members will get penalised more heavily.

My Ford warranty expires in September anyway so I wasn't so concerned about that aspect. I think used sensibly this is an excellent upgrade to go for at less than £400, but make sure you get your insurance quote before you buy!

• Like 1

What was the difference in MPG for you ?

I've not had time to do an accurate full tank to full tank refill check, but the trip computer over the last 360 miles averaged 43.3mpg compared with my pre-remap average over the same journey of around 47.5mpg.  Its not really a fair comparison as I was driving harder than usual with quite a few spirited overtakes. I use Shell V-Power Nitro+ super unleaded as I have done for the past year as I find the engine runs more smoothly and pulls better at low rpm. To be quite honest with you Damian I am not really too bothered about slightly worse mpg as I only do around 7000 miles a year and in the grand scheme of things the fuel cost difference pales into insignificance compared with the dreaded depreciation. Bottom line, the car is far more enjoyable to drive and well worth the extra cost.

Don't get too focused on fuel consumption, for me covering 7000 miles in a year the difference between 42mpg and 48mpg is around 20 gallons of fuel, so about £100. Well worth it, now I've bothered to work it out I will drive harder all the time :smile:

Fair enough, I will pull the trigger & get one myself once my insurance is up for renewal 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Looking to get this instead of the mountune 165 upgrade, one question I have (as i know nothing about tuning or mechanics) do I need to buy any extra parts to do the 155 bluefin tune? If not is there anything that might not be necessary but you guys would suggest getting that might prolong the life of my engine (I take it that this chip will decrease the life of my 1litre engine)?

Also I keep seeing people mention K&N air filters, do I need one? I don't want my engine sounding like some little 17 year olds modified Vauxhall Nova. I want the power but not the weird sound like I've got a hole in my exhaust, any advice?

8 minutes ago, Hovis said:

If not is there anything that might not be necessary but you guys would suggest getting that might prolong the life of my engine (I take it that this chip will decrease the life of my 1litre engine)?

Also I keep seeing people mention K&N air filters, do I need one? 

The Ford warranty is kept for the Mountune MP135 and the newer cars are putting out 140PS from the factory, so it's reasonable to assume that the amount of life your engine might decrease by is more about how your drive rather than the modest increase in performance the Bluefin tune gives you. Your gearbox is likely to feel it before your engine does. Of course normal servicing and weekly checks should be maintained  

I have a K&N filter and the Bluefin tune. To be honest I haven't noticed any increase in intake or turbo noise.

Mountune mention that they found the car "breathless" when they were developing their tunes, so this is likely to apply equally to the Bluefin tune. I have been thinking about adding the Mountune primary and secondary induction hoses and doing some airbox modifications to improve this, but I'm not sure if the Bluefin tune would take advantage of this or not. Certainly the Superchips guys indicated that they didn't think any hardware modifications were necessary to take full advantage of the Bluefin tune for the 125PS. 

• Like 1

An Interesting development I encountered with the Superchips map. My car had been running fine since installation of the map back in June, however when I look the car in for its first MOT last week it failed the emissions test spectacularly. Fast idle CO was around 2% whereas it should be under 0.2%. I called Superchips and they advised that a later map was available to download to deal with 'fuelling issues' with this engine. After installing the new map the emissions were ok and within limits, HOWEVER the performance is far less punchy than before and feels far closer to the stock Ford map. Disappointing, as prior to the MOT I was extremely happy with the performance increase.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taeasz said:

An Interesting development I encountered with the Superchips map. My car had been running fine since installation of the map back in June, however when I look the car in for its first MOT last week it failed the emissions test spectacularly. Fast idle CO was around 2% whereas it should be under 0.2%. I called Superchips and they advised that a later map was available to download to deal with 'fuelling issues' with this engine. After installing the new map the emissions were ok and within limits, HOWEVER the performance is far less punchy than before and feels far closer to the stock Ford map. Disappointing, as prior to the MOT I was extremely happy with the performance increase.  

Be interesting to see if your revised tune is now delivering as per the Bluefin advertised power and torque increases. 

I wonder if other tunes (Pumaspeed, etc) are similarly non-compliant?

David

I think they all claim emissions will be within UK MOT test requirements, however this wasn't the case for my car as per my previous post.

Without getting my car on a rolling road I obviously cant verify that it still meets the claimed outputs, however after only 5 minutes of driving it was very clear to me that the power was nowhere near as immediate as with the first map that they sent me, on which I had covered some 3000 miles and was very happy with. 

I have returned the car to original stock setting for comparison and any gains now with the new 'fuelling issues' map are really only evident above 3000rpm.  Very disappointing. 

1.0 ecoboost engines are known even without bluefin to take a bit extra time to get fast idle emissions down to limits , mot tester needs to let engine rev a bit more before starting test.

mine with or without bluefin passes emmisions test fine with a 30 sec rev about 3000rpm before starting fast idle test.

• Like 1