Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

secret mapping

Alzy

Can an engine be remapped without detection? Also is this tested on a routine maintenance check of the car? by a main dealer or private garage?

And finally can you plug in a device that will tell if it's standard or changed? 

Cheers for any answers

If a car is remapped why would you care if it was detectable or not?

No it is not checked at a routine service, however a garage may do a PCM update which could wipe the remap completely, if they don't know it has been remapped they would stick the latest updated files on the PCM if required, some garages do this as a matter of course nowadays anyway.

• Like 1

Cheers simcor, if the data was 'reset' then would it be just a case of re mapping the engine again? 

Yes the remap would need reapplying if the PCM has been wiped and reflashed.

• Like 1

had to remove bluefin map when i had a pcm update done, then bluefin had to resend me the map again with the updated pcm software part number to match.then i could reinstall.

8 hours ago, iantt said:

had to remove bluefin map when i had a pcm update done, then bluefin had to resend me the map again with the updated pcm software part number to match.then i could reinstall.

Did this cost you any extra ?

no, bluefin alteration due to a pcm update are free.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2016 at 11:59 PM, Alzy said:

Did this cost you any extra ?

Are you asking in regards to insurance I.E If you involved in a crash would the insurance company be able to pick up any modifications? I.E Remap which aren't physically visible. If so then yes, they can view the map of the car and compare it to the standard map or so I am to believe. 

47 minutes ago, JSMarsden said:

Are you asking in regards to insurance I.E If you involved in a crash would the insurance company be able to pick up any modifications? I.E Remap which aren't physically visible. If so then yes, they can view the map of the car and compare it to the standard map or so I am to believe. 

The cost was regarding the remapping after the pmc update. I guess once you buy the system you have it for life and are able to add it/remove it when you like.

My insurance query is that if a car was modified before and the current owner is not aware of the modification then where will they be with their insurance. Im sure if you dont know you cant tell them. And you would be stupid to say you have something if your not sure its there.

a question on mapping though, after a bit of looking to get a remap to work properly you would have to change parts on the car. Ie: air in/out and the pipes to go with it. So if these under the bonnet mods are needed before the remap is done, then it would be obvious that one may have taken place if the engine bay is modded too.?? So the questions should have been asked by the buyer??

Soz if im not making sense.

The simple answer is any modification should be declared to your insurance company.

Also in the event of an accident then yes they can check the map against a standard map for that car.

So should you be in an accident and they check the map or even do a dyno power test then they will know OT has been altered which would invalidate your insurance.

As for if I've bought a car and don't know then that would not stand up in a court of law. It is your responsibility to ensure your car is roadworthy and legal regardless of how much you know or don't know about cars. It is your legal responsibility and saying you don't know is not a defence in the eyes of the law. 

Same with MOT it can pass an MOT but if involved in an accident and the car is not roadworthy it is the drivers responsibility for it being roadworthy.

People might say that isn't fair bit as the driver the buck stops with you as to the vehicle being roadworthy and legal and having valid insurance tax and MOT.

long winded I know but there you go.

The contract you have with any insurance company is to disclose all material facts to the best of your knowledge and belief.

As it stands now you were in fact ok (in theory) because to your knowledge the car was unmodified.

You might have trouble proving that you didn't know, but that is another issue.

The problem you have is that as you now believe the car is modified you need do get this confirmed and inform your insurance if it is deemed modified.

To know and not notify them will invalidate your policy.

Sent from my SM-G930F

4 hours ago, simcor said:

As for if I've bought a car and don't know then that would not stand up in a court of law. It is your responsibility to ensure your car is roadworthy and legal regardless of how much you know or don't know about cars. It is your legal responsibility and saying you don't know is not a defence in the eyes of the law. 

You think that also applies "in the eyes of the law " to animal owners? As if you dont have a DNA test then you have to trust the breeders word.

....sorry judge i didnt know the dog was 1/2 pitbull, the bloke i bought it off said it was an bull terrier?....

Im only being nosey in the subject of modding the engines computer and stuff as i would like to do all that but i cant afford the 20p atm to put air in me tyres. 

Was just wondering the implications.

Cherrs for ya replys

I am only saying what I believe is the case, in law most of the time ignorance is no defence.

As the driver of a vehicle it is your responsibility to make sure it all meets the relevant requirements to be legal on the road, whether it is your car, a hire car, a work car/van/truck etc etc even a vehicle you borrow of a friend.

That is all I am trying to explain, I would be interested in what Clive thinks about this? Any thoughts Clive? 

Either way I personally would not like to be in the position of pleading ignorance in court to a judge in those circumstances.

As for the dog analogy then generally you could tell what type of breeding a dog may have in it, or at least have suspicions it is not quite what it was purported to be.

bet theres not many cars owned by forum users that meet relevant requirements to be legal on the road.

The term road legal is very tricky.

Just because it passes an MOT doesn't mean it's legal, I have known Traffic Officers pull cars that had a test less than an hour before and found them too dangerous to proceed further.

With regards to mods (in particular tuning chips/remaps) and insurance contracts you basically state that you do not know of any undeclared mods.

If you are not told by a previous owner how would you know?

TBH, if a previous owner has modded the vehicle and properly declared them then the insurance companies will know when you go to insure it unless the previous owner did not declare the mods themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930F

nearly 40% of cars fail mot, so theres 40% on the road for starters that dont meet legal requirements

• Like 1

Theres a lot of things that MOT tests don't cover that will make a car unroadworthy.

The MOT basically states that the tester has checked all that they are required to do.

Most of their tests are visual in nature anyway as they can't disassemble anything to check (e.g. cat, DPF, EGR etc).

• Like 1

i did say for starters, lol so probably more than half, so thats alot of cars potentialy legaly unroadworthy, and therefore uninsured.

• Like 2

I think my questions been answered and now the threads been hijack with rants about MOTs.

Simple solution is to get a car new car and change it every 30 months.

Thanks all for your answers.

• Like 1

you will find most threads go off topic quite quick .lol

Wouldnt mind but !Removed! MOTs, anything but that.

aint needed to get one for about 4 years now due to cars age but before it was a dreadful week leading up to it, eating lentals and beans saving every penny so you can pay the man to fix the faults you know it'll fail on and the ones you dont.

Thank god them days are over

8 hours ago, Alzy said:

Wouldnt mind but !Removed! MOTs, anything but that.

aint needed to get one for about 4 years now due to cars age but before it was a dreadful week leading up to it, eating lentals and beans saving every penny so you can pay the man to fix the faults you know it'll fail on and the ones you dont.

Thank god them days are over

Thats when forums come in handy ^^. If you know of any faults a lot can usually be fixed by yourself at a fraction of the price - albeit a bit more work since some fixes will be your first time etc

• Like 1