Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss of power

VelcroToastie

Good afternoon

My explanation of my issue might be confusing I apologise but I'm used to cars with a lot less gadgetry.  Took my new to me focus out today (1.6 EcoBoost Titanium) as I was traveling up a fairly steep dual carriageway I hit the gas to pass a lorry.  I was in fourth at about 3000 rpm.  The car started to judder (similar feeling to hitting the rev limit) changed in to 5th gear and same problem followed by the car dropping revs.

At this point limited to about 1500 rpm I pulled over as I couldn't get past 30 mph.  No EML or warning on dash.  Set off and all was well until I hit the motorway.  Same thing happened.  If I push it to 3000 rpm in 4th, 5th it kills the power until I slow down, minutes later it works fine.

any ideas?

in an ecoboost going up a hill you should be above 3k rpm and probably in 3rd putting it in 5th it was likely shuddering as you were in too high a gear if the car wont go above 3k revs in 3rd then in 4th and 5th it suggests a variable cam issue but that should put the eml on not always I may add if you can't get the revs past 3k IDE have it looked at

Problem found

Active grill failed.  Engine over heated and cylinder head damaged.  Car has been returned as it was only 4 days after I bought it.

Search is on for another

Thanks for reporting back, too many of these forums leave things open ended.

active grill failure is common 3 in my street have had never ending issues with them 1 head damage they returned the car and got a different make not ford other two were repaired 1 re failed within weeks the other works but sporadically so they had it disconnected in the open position another stupid design idea

i wonder if they have updayed the design on focus mk.3.5 sure it must have a safety   Device in case of malfuction it stays open

Also i just read that u can just remove shuters by hand they just pop out or something so the motor is still active and wont throw codes. i hope someone does a guide to remove these shutters

Picked up my replacement earlier.  Luckily the garage was able to find another 1.6 ecoboost as I didn't want the previous one that had the damaged head.  

After a bit of haggling they even swapped the 18s from one car to another.  

Happy days

• Like 3

Sweet are u concened about the active grill on ur new 1 ?

Yeah!

I'll take the shuttersout I think

• Like 1

easy enough to do, if your concerned just take a row out.

• Like 1

Do u know how to take a row of tho?

most maufactures use active grill now, not just ford, velco toastie is the first one that ive heard of with issues.

i cant see how it could have happened with out an engine malfunction displaying, engine light on and reduced power mode, a due to incorrect grille postion detected and b increased engine temp

the grille postion and angle of opening is tested every time you switch ign on so it knows the closed and open positions and if the the grille does not operate the driver is alerted via message or engine light or both. i will jam mine up at some point on purpose to demonstrate.

Sweet let me know how u get on as i want to do this when i pick up my car in 2 weeks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club