Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Really want a DashCam.

Cookey09

I'm on the verge of buying a dashcam, and yes for those who know I've already created a thread on the matter a while ago. However, I'm going away for the weekend soon, and I'd really like one installed beforehand. 

The problem is there is just too much choice. 

I've got a £50 gift card for amazon so anything under £200 is fine. 

Im wanting a dashcam that will switch on and record in the event of an incident while I am away from my car(parked up)... I have read having this function the dashcam must be hard wired. I haven't a clue how to do it. Although a few guys did leave pointers and a good guide on my other thread and I appreciate it and I am grateful for it all, but to me, I'm not confident to do it myself... Also, the parking mode function can drain the cars battery... But I feel this function is a must! It's just as vital. 

Any advice, any recommendations, anything. 

Cookey. 

My Nextbase 302g camera has parking mode function, I use the original charger lead currently and leave it plugged into the 12v socket all the time. The camera has a screen saver function to turn the screen off and only records when it detects a large change in the picture, it works pretty well generally. So far I have no issues with draining the battery on the car. I will get around to doing a permanent install kit at some point though.

• Like 1

For my Focus CC I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aiptek-Full-Rear-Mirror-Camera/dp/B00OXWFRNQ/Aiptek GS372

Normally it cost around 110 quid but occasionally amazon is reducing it to circa 40 quid (that's what I've paid for it).

Very happy with the dashcam although it does have some annoyances.

Looking to get a dashcam as well, really just for recording my travels, if you find a way/guide to hardwire one into a Fiesta let me know!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maxxxykins said:

Looking to get a Dashcam as well, really just for recording my travels, if you find a way/guide to hardwire one into a Fiesta let me know!

Search which dashcam

My other thread, one guy left a decent guide and what is needed to Hardwire! 

45 minutes ago, simcor said:

My Nextbase 302g camera has parking mode function, I use the original charger lead currently and leave it plugged into the 12v socket all the time. The camera has a screen saver function to turn the screen off and only records when it detects a large change in the picture, it works pretty well generally. So far I have no issues with draining the battery on the car. I will get around to doing a permanent install kit at some point though.

Does your parking mode work while the car is switched off? And left unattended? 

My 12v turns off once the ignition is off... 

27 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

Search which DashCam? 

My other thread, one guy left a decent guide and what is needed to Hardwire! 

Aha i've already followed along with that one!
I'm liking the look of http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
Plus it's on sale at the moment!

I saw that little write up as well, don't understand some of it, but I haven't researched it yet, i'm just being lazy, might make a guide if I go through with it!

• Like 1

Only problem with that one is I'm not sure how well the parking mode works. And I'd have to buy two and Hardwire them both which will drain my battery twice as much as A another.... 

I wish there was a dashcam that could record all the time. And worked like a phone. I've read you can use your phone as a dashcam via some app. But not to my liking. 

1 minute ago, Cookey09 said:

Only problem with that one is I'm not sure how well the parking mode works. And I'd have to buy two and Hardwire them both which will drain my battery twice as much as A another.... 

I wish there was a DashCam that could record all the time. And worked like a phone. I've read you can use your phone as a DashCam via some app. But not to my liking. 

Are you wanting the parking mode because of where you park it at night etc.?

I've used my iPhone to record a few videos, mainly just for the sound of the ST, obviously great quality but you have to fiddle around with it, and constant recording will rinse the battery, I'm sure there are dash cam sets that are front and back as well.

Just reading these, might come of help.

(Not sure why but I can't find the PDF download)

• Like 1

I'm wanting the parking mode because I think it's a must have feature, people break into cars. Fact. My main reason is because I'm a football coach, some of the work I do involves going into schools, parking in busy car parks at peak times. Parents who don't give a sh*t about their cars. The road Angel halo I'm looking at is front and rear. And the nextbase duo. They just arent as discreet as the autovox a118.... But I guess I can get some black tape to mask it a bit 😏😉

I've got a K1S fitted, so front and rear, with a hidden DVR unit.

It has a motion detection parking mode - it will run for 3 hours off battery (once ignition supply removed), but apparently it'll run permanently if you supply 5v to the PC socket (with automatic switching still working also). The only issue is it's quite sensitive with no option to the sensitivity - you will get a 30 second file for both front and rear cams, so can fill the card up quite quickly.

I have only really had an issue with the quality - the bitrate seems very variable, and images are sometimes less clear than my previous mobius/0805 cameras. I have added a CPL filter which has improved things somewhat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRookie said:

For my Focus CC I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aiptek-Full-Rear-Mirror-Camera/dp/B00OXWFRNQ/Aiptek GS372

Normally it cost around 110 quid but occasionally Amazon is reducing it to circa 40 quid (that's what I've paid for it).

Very happy with the dashcam although it does have some annoyances.

in what way

5 minutes ago, Micro said:

I've got a K1S fitted, so front and rear, with a hidden DVR unit.

It has a motion detection parking mode - it will run for 3 hours off battery (once ignition supply removed), but apparently it'll run permanently if you supply 5v to the PC socket (with automatic switching still working also). The only issue is it's quite sensitive with no option to the sensitivity - you will get a 30 second file for both front and rear cams, so can fill the card up quite quickly.

Wow. So very good battery. Does the battery recharge when ignition is on? What do you mean PC socket? 

And regarding the sensitivity. How sensitive are we talking? A crisp packet rolling past it'll pick it up? A little wind shakes the car? Or...? 

9 minutes ago, theredfox said:

in what way

The screen auto-off takes at least 1 minute and sometimes doesn't turn off at all, so I have to press button to force it to turn off. Speed sign recognition only works for roughly 70% of cases. Traffic stop/start feature isn't reliable either.

There is no prebuffering so if you set the camera to motion detection mode then few seconds will be lost before the actual recording starts,

35 minutes ago, Maxxxykins said:

Are you wanting the parking mode because of where you park it at night etc.?

I've used my iPhone to record a few videos, mainly just for the sound of the ST, obviously great quality but you have to fiddle around with it, and constant recording will rinse the battery, I'm sure there are dash cam sets that are front and back as well.

Just reading these, might come of help.

(Not sure why but I can't find the PDF download)

useful. 

32 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

I'm wanting the parking mode because I think it's a must have feature, people break into cars. Fact. My main reason is because I'm a football coach, some of the work I do involves going into schools, parking in busy car parks at peak times. Parents who don't give a sh*t about their cars. The road Angel halo I'm looking at is front and rear. And the nextbase duo. They just arent as discreet as the autovox a118.... But I guess I can get some black tape to mask it a bit 😏😉

True, Aha yeah, can't tell you how many near misses i've had with mums in their 4x4's not knowing how big there car is..

7 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

useful. 

Cheers, i've bought it so we'll see how this goes!

• Like 1

Woah. Man, big step. You bought the autovox? I'm really stuck between the RoadAngel Halo... Autovox, nextbase duo and nextbase 402!😩 

1 hour ago, Cookey09 said:

Wow. So very good battery. Does the battery recharge when ignition is on? What do you mean PC socket? 

And regarding the sensitivity. How sensitive are we talking? A crisp packet rolling past it'll pick it up? A little wind shakes the car? Or...? 

3 hours I think is the time it'll stay on without recording. With recording it's shorter - however - it is a GoPro style battery.

A car turning into the road, shining it's headlights up and lighting a leaf sensitive... I'm going to turn it off because I don't really want to have to keep deleting the parked videos.

And it has the normal power socket, which it will automatically start/stop recording from, and a PC socket (to download videos without removing the microsd card). Apparently (but not tried) it can be powered from this socket which will allow parking mode to remain on indefinitely.

When i had mine i wanted 2 main things,wanted a small one or one people could not see that well and the quality of the recording.

I never take mine out but you cant tell that well that there is one,they will break into a car for anything these days.

When the one i have goes my Mobius V2 will go in,i love the online setting you can do on these and had it new and tried it months ago,spare.

Decided I want the Road Angel Halo. 

However, I'm unsure how the Hardwire kit works itself. I understand this will allow my camera to use the parking mode. 

If someone can, please, give me a straight answer. 

The kit has one white wire, one red, one clasp hook metal and one AV input wire. 

Im unsure where the White, red, and clasp hooks up to/plugs in... 

Cookey. 

image.png

Also and at which point of installation will the Hardwire kit become live and at constant power? 

I'm guessing it is labelled in that pic but too small to see, but red or white will be permanent live and the other will be switched (ignition) live.

The C shape will be for ground.

If you want parking mode, I'd highly recommend wiring it via some sort of battery protection device so you don't come to your car one morning and find it doesn't start.

• Like 1

Found the description of it... 

However, it mentions that the White lead connects to the battery...

1: How would I route it from the fuse box behind the glove compartment, to the battery in the engine bay and...

2: it mentions that you can configure the Halo to cut off once the battery reaches a certain voltage? 

image.png

If a person requires/wants their dashcam to be hard wired, needless of make or model, does it always need to be wire to the battery of the car? I'm pretty sure you could just do I through the fuse box? 

As long as the fuse you tap in to is a permanent live, I see no reason why you can't use it.

• Like 1