Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop start / Active Grille when and how do they work ?

TheMadHatter

I have recently taken ownership of a 2012 1.6 ecoboost titanium and the working of the start stop and active shutter grille system are mystifying me :huh:

I know the stop start system is finicky. When I first had the car it was not activating , then for the last two weeks it was working. For the last few days it has stopped again.

I have also noticed the grille shutter closing when the car is started on occasion, but this again seem to happen at random.

Can anyone one explain the workings of these two systems ? they don't seem to follow logic.

For example on a freezing cold day the stop start works after the car has been running for 2min but today with temperatures up too 10 degrees, the aircon off and the engine warmed up it does not work ?

Is there a way of checking either system for faults ? the car is under warranty atm.

Thanks for any help.

Start stop is reliant on battery voltage.

If the ecu considers that the voltage may be too low to ensure 100% that the car will restart instantly it will not operate.

The kysor shutters are reliant on engine temperature and car speed and assist with aerodynamics for fuel efficiency.

mediasource:https://m.youtube.com/133ae9af-c72d-423d-9c52-7ef51974ccbb

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Stop start will also not activate if the electrical load is too high, the engine is too cold or hot and if the ac is working too hard to reach the desired temp.

The shutter grilles try and stay closed to aid warm up time and reduce drag but will open when the ac is on, if you go WOT or as and when it deems it necessary to regulate the engine and charged air intake temps.

• Like 2

I went to my dealer today, and had an IDS session.

The start stop system stopped working a while ago and I didn't know why.

The technician told me that he has done a quick reset ( ?? ) .On the way home the system was working again

bms reset, you could have done that yourself when it stopped working however long go that was

Thanks for the replies.

On 3/29/2016 at 7:47 AM, alexp999 said:

Stop start will also not activate if the electrical load is too high, the engine is too cold or hot and if the ac is working too hard to reach the desired temp.

The shutter grilles try and stay closed to aid warm up time and reduce drag but will open when the ac is on, if you go WOT or as and when it deems it necessary to regulate the engine and charged air intake temps.

That explains why they shut when I start the engine and open again straight away.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:46 PM, iantt said:

bms reset, you could have done that yourself when it stopped working however long go that was

What is a bms reset out of interest ?

The weather seem to be warming up again and I have some long journeys ahead, I will see if it is activated again. Having driven other cars with stop/start the Ford version does seem to be very conservative.

• 3 months later...

An updated :smile:

About 6 weeks ago I had the battery and alternator checked as the low battery warning displayed on the dash I whilst I was trying to sort out the lights on a bike rack. I described the symptoms and it was thought the battery might be on the way out. However on testing it was found to be fine but at a little flat,  the alternator was working properly to. So I bought a charger topped up the battery and everything started working fine again. And then today it all stopped working again. The battery is charging now.

Now the guys at the battery place said that this is common for modern cars that don't do a lot of mileage as the battery does not get enough time to charge up if your using stop-start. Is this right ?

Yes lots of short journeys means the battery cannot recharge from all the starts.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club