Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De-icing - Winter

Chriiiiiiiis

Never really had to de-ice my car before setting off for work. Was parked in a garage last winter, but won't be this year.

Do you guys just use the heated windscreen? Scraper, cover?

What's best?

Heated screen is excellent, but you still need to scrape the other windows. I use a 50p scraper, much easier for me than faffing around with a cover.

wax your windows and that should make it alot easier.

other than that i just use a scraper and the heaters

I don't have a heated windscreen, *sob* Sometimes my Mum is kind enough to go out first and turn the engine on for me before I get in to warm the car up :lol: Spoilt brat me? Never!! She does lock the car up whilst it's running, before any of you say "Ooohh your car could get stolen!" Either that or one of our other cars is blocking it in ;)

God I sound more of a princess than Michael!

Last year i just used a scraper but on a recent trip to the local Tesco i couldn't resit a windscreen shield for £1.

Have yet to try it out, but i imagine it should do the trick

Jump in the car, turn the engine on, heaters on, plus the fan as you can use that without the AC at any temp. Ten use a scrapper. Does the trick in about 5 mins or less.

For all my cars previous, I've just dumped luke warm water onto the glasswork. Works ok! Looking forward to this winter to see how well the heated front screen works.

/DON'T USE HOT WATER!!! BOILING OR JUST BOILED WATER WILL CRACK THE GLASS!

//IF IT'S REALLY, REALLY COLD (like it seldom is in the UK) BE SURE AND DRY THE WATER OFF OR IT'LL JUST FREEZE

Chris...

For all my cars previous, I've just dumped luke warm water onto the glasswork. Works ok! Looking forward to this winter to see how well the heated front screen works.

/DON'T USE HOT WATER!!! BOILING OR JUST BOILED WATER WILL CRACK THE GLASS!

//IF IT'S REALLY, REALLY COLD (like it seldom is in the UK) BE SURE AND DRY THE WATER OFF OR IT'LL JUST FREEZE

Chris...

sadly hot or boiling water doesnt crack the windscreen, even on s**t old cars driven by dirty pikeys.

I can't imagine living without a heated windscreen since I had one in my last car. Before I had the heated windscreen I bought de-icing spray, but heard that it can ruin the paintwork if it get's onto it. Apart form that worry it worked brilliantly. Scraping windows is horrible, the last thing you want when driving a car is numb fingers. I'm all for getting heated side windows as well!

sadly hot or boiling water doesnt crack the windscreen, even on s**t old cars driven by dirty pikeys.

I still wouldn't risk it, even if it doesn't get cold enough in this country.

When I'm in Canada however?? The water trick is right out, as it just freezes the moment you put it on the screen! Not only would boiling water smash the windscreen to bits there, but it would also buckle the metal of the car (-40 to +80'c in an instant will do that) !

Anyways I think this winter should be a lot nicer car-wise than last winter... My last Corsa (New Corsa, NOT the base model) didn't even have heated wing-mirrors. How !Removed! was that!? :lol:

Chris...

mine is garaged,so i dont really have this problem, but i do use the heated front/rear screens as well as heated mirrors if its left outside for too long.and yes i have de-icer in the boot for back up if needed.

I got my mk 5 in april, haven't had a chance to use the heated front screen yet, not bad for a Y reg car to have that eh? hehe. They better than just the heaters blowing alone yeah??

I got my mk 5 in april, haven't had a chance to use the heated front screen yet, not bad for a Y reg car to have that eh? hehe. They better than just the heaters blowing alone yeah??

Absolutely! Turn them on and in a couple of minutes you'll have one, ice free screen.

mine is garaged,so i dont really have this problem, but i do use the heated front/rear screens as well as heated mirrors if its left outside for too long.and yes i have de-icer in the boot for back up if needed.

Your car's spoilt then Kristal!

I can't get mine in the garage as there's too much other stuff in there so both mine and Noddy have to stay outside.

Never mind; better for them in the long run especially when it's rained etc. :rolleyes:

I don't have a heated windscreen, *sob* Sometimes my Mum is kind enough to go out first and turn the engine on for me before I get in to warm the car up :lol: Spoilt brat me? Never!! She does lock the car up whilst it's running, before any of you say "Ooohh your car could get stolen!" Either that or one of our other cars is blocking it in ;)

God I sound more of a princess than Michael!

Before Mrs Hedgepig had a car with a heated screen I used to go out and scrape all the windows for her.

Now she's got a heated screen I still have to go out and scrape the rest of the windows for her!!

And she reckons that I don't look after her............................. ;) ;)

Fired the heated screen up for the first time this morning as it was all misted up - looks worryingly like one or two of the elements don't work as there was a small strip down the middle on the windscreen where the mist didn't clear as quickly - gonna keep and eye on it and if its definately a failed element I'll be letting the dealer know!

Fired the heated screen up for the first time this morning as it was all misted up - looks worryingly like one or two of the elements don't work as there was a small strip down the middle on the windscreen where the mist didn't clear as quickly - gonna keep and eye on it and if its definately a failed element I'll be letting the dealer know!

Think that's normal. Mine is the same, and was on my MK6 also.

Think that's normal. Mine is the same, and was on my MK6 also.

That one or two of the elements don't work? I can undestand them going over time, but the car is only a matter of weeks old.

I've used mine a fair bit this week. I just start the engine and press the MAX button on the air con, my front window heater comes on and the back one comes on and the air con blasts full wack on the windows too all from one button!!! Me likey. Damn good too.

That one or two of the elements don't work? I can undestand them going over time, but the car is only a matter of weeks old.

Mine is a matter of weeks old too and it's the same. I don't think the elements go all the way across the screen, they're split in half (but haven't really looked).

Mine is a matter of weeks old too and it's the same. I don't think the elements go all the way across the screen, they're split in half (but haven't really looked).

Ah, see what you mean now. The gap on my windscreen is a few inches off centre though - which is what makes me think its not deliberate.

Thinking about it, I dont have a gap right down the centre, so if you do, it could be that one or two of the elements in your screen aren't working either.

Ah, see what you mean now. The gap on my windscreen is a few inches off centre though - which is what makes me think its not deliberate.

Thinking about it, I dont have a gap right down the centre, so if you do, it could be that one or two of the elements in your screen aren't working either.

I also have a narrow strip in the middle where it doesn't clear the screen. It's probably easier to have two sets of elements instead of one large one covering the whole screen. It doesn't really get in the way and clears up a short while later.