Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Inlet Hose 1.8 Diesel, thoughts please

Mick J

Looking over the back of the engine I noticed this hose and the oil that is making a mess over the hose and metal under the map sensor hose (I have the Haynes out).  I have managed to tighten the jubilee clip slightly.

Not knowing much about these things,  is there anything I should be looking for or concerned about.     Thanks

AirInletHose.png

Remove the clips and take out the hose. Clean it up and look for any kind of tears in this. This exact hose is renowned for having splits and leaking boost. It looks way too dirty to be leaking just from the clip area.

You should be able to buy a new hose easily for cheap!

• Like 1

Is it pushed on properly there looks like a bit of a gap

• Like 1

its probably old and past its best. i replaced mine with a silicon hose from viper performance hoses

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Povo, ippy & salsheikh.   I reseated and cleaned the oily end of the hose, unable to see any splits if there are any, other end of hose jubilee clip screw is under the hose unable to reach just now.
Will replace hose with new and new clips.   Should I be looking to replace the front hose as well ?  - looks a more difficult manoeuvre  !

when i replaced mine it cost about £20 but the front one was about £90 at the time and didnt have a leak so i left it. definately use good branded clips when replacing them. too many poorly made ones that snap if overtightened a little....

5 hours ago, Mick J said:

Thanks for the advice, Povo, ippy & salsheikh.   I reseated and cleaned the oily end of the hose, unable to see any splits if there are any, other end of hose jubilee clip screw is under the hose unable to reach just now.
Will replace hose with new and new clips.   Should I be looking to replace the front hose as well ?  - looks a more difficult manoeuvre  !

No just replace this one that has the leak. Generally this one causes most trouble. The others are usually fine. It's because the 90 degree hose is near the EGR and is very hot from exhaust gasses going through the EGR.

• Like 1