Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 1.6 focus fuel filter bleading

Mr Singh

its been a long time since i been here, reason being we got rid of our mk2 1.6 tivct focus saloon for a 2.2 diesel civic as the saloon was going to cost us too much to repair with its engine problems.

any how one of my mates has bought a mk3 1.6 tdci and asked me to get him some service bits (all the filters basically) he's a bike mechanic and he replace the fuel filter and asked me to bring the diesel fuel priming pump from my work to blead it, after about 1/2 hour trying, no fuel was coming up. we went to his work to get the syringe they use to suck fuel out of bike tanks and still nothing. the fuel filter only has 2 connections, 1 going to the fuel rail and 1 im guessing from the tank.

is it just a case of keep at it with the hand pump/syringe or would it be easier to vacuum suck it using a pela 6000 oil extractor?

easiest thing to do is go get some diesel in a can from petrol station then syringe from the can straight into the filter. takes a few goes to fill it up then when it comes out of the outlet pipe just connect it back upto the car. ive done two on focus 1.6 tdci and never had a problem.

if your not getting fuel sucking up , then theres air getting in the filter, is the fuel filter water drain tap closed properly?

it sometimes can be tight to close fully.

he managed to get fuel through the filter but its !Removed! fuel out the bottom... we blew through the filter and there was air coming out the bottom... blew through the old filter and nothing through the bottom, so im going to get another filter and try again

sounds like the drain tube that sits at the bottom of the filter is not centrally located therefore the drain is not blocked off , allowing fuel to drain back out or air back in when priming

have a look at tube after removing the filter and see if its bent slightly.

• 5 weeks later...

he eventually figured out what was wrong. part of the long plastic stalk that goes in to the plastic top was broken in the old filter

it was what I thought it was then, tube can either break or bend as you refit.