Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0L ecoboost engine oil

isb

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. I took my Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost for it's first service yesterday to my local main dealer, and on examination of the invoice this morning I found that they used 5w-30 for the engine oil change. Checking with the owners handbook I found that the correct specification is 5w-20 and no substitute is acceptable for this engine. On taking the car back I was told 'it's OK, that is what we use and ford say it's OK', I pointed out that isn't what Ford say in their handbook. However they did agree to change the oil for the correct spec. there and then. It made me wonder if this goes on elsewhere or if this is just an isolated example.

Hi thier 

I work for a ford dealership and we have always put 5w-20 in 1lt Eco boosts as it's the specification for the car 5w-30 should have been used 

• Like 1

I took my 1.0 black edition for its first service last week, I wonder if this has also happened to me as they havnt even stated what oil was used on the service and tbh I'm not 100% convinced the oil was even changed. I also know they didn't check the tyre pressures as one of my valve caps had stuck on prior to the service and they didn't even acknowledge this. Hmmm......

• Like 2

5w-20w definitely should be used, its been developed with the variable oil pressure set up.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

My partner had a 2014 fiesta 1.0l 99bhp that she ran to 123,000 miles with no issues until a cheap service - engine light came on with cat converter code. Garage thought it was likely the wrong oil had been used, some had burned off and the sensor picked it up. oil flush prevented the light from returning. Lesson learnt - if using a cheap garage you don't know, provide your own 5w-20 and ask for what's left in the container afterwards so you know they've used it.

• 3 years later...
On 12/31/2019 at 8:02 PM, Pheo ZS said:

My partner had a 2014 fiesta 1.0l 99bhp that she ran to 123,000 miles with no issues until a cheap service - engine light came on with cat converter code. Garage thought it was likely the wrong oil had been used, some had burned off and the sensor picked it up. Oil flush prevented the light from returning. Lesson learnt - if using a cheap garage you don't know, provide your own 5w-20 and ask for what's left in the container afterwards so you know they've used it.

I has a service done at Fords and they will not assist in helping with the cost of a Ecoboom engine.  NO additives but Shell V power used additives to clean the engine ? They do not recommend but do not say DO NOT use additives. They say it damaged the engines ..HOW? Its not an additive it helps take out the old oil nothing more and is use before a couple of minutes before new oil is used.

3 hours ago, Emeraldgreen652 said:

They do not recommend but do not say DO NOT use additives.

If I see this sort of statement I would always treat it as DO NOT use...they haven't stated this for no good reason.

Its also well known that you shouldn't use any type of engine oil flush product on an Ecoboost engine as it can damage the wet belts, plenty of posts on here discussing this.

So unfortunately I think you aren't going to have any luck from Ford contributing to an engine replacement.

3 hours ago, Emeraldgreen652 said:

Its not an additive it helps take out the old oil nothing more and is use before a couple of minutes before new oil is used.

Some of the old oil and additive gets left behind which then contaminates the new oil immediately.

• Like 1