Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N air filter

jimmy46

Hi guys I've just bought a K&N air filter for my focus 16 tdci mk3. I've had induction kits on other cars in the past. And the filters were open to the air. Is it better to leave top of air box of or keep it on thanks jimmy

image.jpeg

Without the top part of the air filter box the engine will suck in warm air from inside the engine bay. This will result in a small loss of power.

Unless you are planning to design and install heatshields to prevent the engine from sucking in warm air you should keep the top part of the air filter box installed.

• Like 1

The K&N 57S filter comes With a replacement top.

In that statement there's a clue to your answer.

7 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Without the top part of the air filter box the engine will suck in warm air from inside the engine bay. This will result in a small loss of power.

Unless you are planning to design and install heatshields to prevent the engine from sucking in warm air you should keep the top part of the air filter box installed.

Thanks

Did you install the normal K&N replacement air filter (K&N E-2993) or the K&N filter from the 57S-4000 kit (K&N E-9289) ?

I use the K&N E-9289 air filter on my 125 HP 1.0 ECOboost. Compared to the normal K&N replacement filter this filter has a larger filtration surface (a larger amount of lamellas creates a larger filtration surface). Another advantage of this filter is the removable end cap which transforms the replacement air filter into a semi open air filter.

The complete 57S-4000 kit consists of the K&N E-9289 air filter and a redesigned cover. The K&N cover is completely smooth on the inside while the original Ford cover has reinforcement ribs on the inside of the cover. I decided to remove these ribs and create a smooth finish by sanding it. This way i saved myself about €100,- for the K&N cover.

I used the e2993 I've got a Tunit chip on it so around 150 bhp not to bad for a 16tdci mk3 😎

image.jpeg

Mmmmm jimmy. A Tunit chip? I'm intrigued as I'm looking to get increased power from my mk3 1.6 tdci

Jimmy. Was your Tunit tuning box easy to fit or a real pain in the ahrse? I looked into a tuning box for mine as I like them but after seeing where the connections are I decided against.

Yeh it was quite fiddly but I managed. It's located right hand side down side and at bottom. But runs much better now 

I also had one on my Audi A3 2ltr tdi quattro nearly 200 bhp easy to fit to 2ltrs as the fit on end at top

Yeah I know after looking into it. But how many connection points to the box are there? Apart from the fuel rail what else is it connected too?

It's just plug and play as they say. 2 plugs and box on top which you adjust 0 to 10. I did half to cut a small piece of 1 of plugs to get better connection then put insulating tape on it. That was 2 years ago but runs great  

I like tuning boxes, had one on a MG ZT diesel for 7 years but after lots of umming and ahhring I'm gonna go with a remap. I've already got the K&N 57S induction kit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club