Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ecobbost 125

mikeyd1

Hi guys i will be moving from fiesta to focus 125 if u guys could tell me how good this car is pros and cons i would be gratfull

Do you have the same engine in your Fiesta?

The 1.0 ECOboost is a great engine. The throttle response is very nice and revving the engine gives a nice,sporty sound. The 125 HP version has the Ford/Getrag Durashift B6 (6MTT250)   6-speed gearbox. This is exactly the same gearbox (same gear ratios) as the 1.5/1.6 ECOboost engines have. The 125 HP version has a dual mass flywheel while the 100 HP version still has a single mass flywheel. Because of this the 125 HP version has noticably less vibrations than the 100 HP version.

The only downside of this engine is the cooling system. All ECOboost engines run at higher temperatures than the older natural aspirated Ford engines. Because of this some of the plastic materials used in the cooling system age/deteriorate prematurely. Early versions did have a coolant return hose which was made of vulcanised plastic/rubber. Because of the higher temperatures the material of this hose hardened which caused it to break eventually. Cracked/leaking coolant reservoirs are also an example of this. Loosing coolant on this type of engine will result in engine damage very quick. The temperature sensor of the 1.0 ECOboost measures the temperature of the coolant. In case of a leak the sensor measure the temperature of air inside the cooling system instead of coolant. If this happens the temperature warning light will not be activated and engine damage can occur within seconds.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply whats the 6 spped gearbox like im used to the long geared 5 speed box in the fiesta

In my opinion the 6-speed B6 gearbox is very good. It is a bit smoother than the older IB5 and MTX75 5-speed gearboxes.

The nice 6-speed gearbox was the biggest reason for me to ignore the 100 HP version and only search for a 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost.

• Like 2

6 speed box is smoother than 5 speed, i do sometimes think i should have gone for the 125 6speed.

• Like 1

How bout are the gears long like they are on 5 speed fiesta ecoboost? Cheers guys

To me in normal driving it feels like that the 6 speed has one gear too much. I regulary jumping gears like 1-2-4-6. Maybe it´s because I have the 1.5L engine with more power.

For more sporty driving on winding roads maybe the 6 speed is more useful.

• Like 1

That cooling system would worry me as the car ages.

I just picked up my new MK 3 1.0 Ecoboost Focus (the 125 version with the 6 speed gearbox) yesterday. Coming from a MK 2.5 1.8TDCi, I am amazed just how smooth and powerful the car is. Compared to my old one the gearbox is so light and nice to use, I'm also blown away with the power from the 1 litre engine!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club