Do Not Sell My Personal Information

any quick fix for air in fuel fiesta 2003 tdci

victor jones

got a really annoying problem happens just now and again seems like air getting in to fuel car starts then 2 seconds and dies 

through my experience i prime the fuel pump and listen to loads of fuel get pumped but dont see any leaks

but using the pump i see the fuel run through the clear tube and bubles runing back the way when i stop pumping.

i pump so the pump is hard as a rock and my hands are sore lol 

but if i try and start the car i am waisting my time everytime this happens i just let the car sit and next day it starts no problem

and off i go until another 70 is times i have started the car then it happenes again

is this likley to be the fuel pump or lines letting in air or would the injector seals cause this

and is there a quick way to get the car started in this situation dont want to end up stuck somewhere with this and calling out breakdown

Is the fuel filter an OEM one or a blueprint part? I have you checked everything is tight in terms of connectors on the filter?

it's the original the one with quare ends just realized there is one screw missing of the filter housing but no leaks 

7 minutes ago, victor jones said:

it's the original the one with quare ends just realized there is one screw missing of the filter housing but no leaks 

How many miles has the car done btw? Those filters are a serviceable item, the screws on top are just holding a shield on to protect some of the connectors.

It might be worth taking the airbox off (simple to do) and check the connectors at each end, I would also check the condition of the injectors as well as a poor injector can cause poor starting. You can also check the leak off lines from the injectors which can introduce air into the system.

I would first check all of the connectors to make sure that they are well seated - the lines are clear so you should be able to see which lines are introducing air, over time these plastic lines do degrade and do start to get pinholes in them which introduce air - are your lines perfectly clear or are they starting to yellow at all?

110.000 miles not to bad for  a tdci  but the fuel lines are yellow and really old

i can only see the through the nearest line to the pump thats all

i have bought a load of stuff to serive the car

i contacted stef on here looking to get the injectors done

long journeys 50 miles i get the chuff / tap noise switch car off 5 mins and its gone

so will replace the pump and lines when i get the injectors done

6 minutes ago, victor jones said:

110.000 miles not to bad for  a tdci  but the fuel lines are yellow and really old

i can only see the through the nearest line to the pump thats all

i have bought a load of stuff to serive the car

i contacted stef on here looking to get the injectors done

long journeys 50 miles i get the chuff / tap noise switch car off 5 mins and its gone

so will replace the pump and lines when i get the injectors done

Mine 1.4 TDCI is on 112k miles, I do around 70 miles a day as my daily commute, the fuel pump is ok and so is the injectors - I have a feeling that it might be the lines and filter - I suggest you start by just swapping out the fuel filter (should be changed every 60k miles I think) and replace the old plastic lines and see how that does.

My injector seals needed to be redone but the injectors themselves are fine - go with the servicing option to begin with :)

yeah i got all the oil/filters comming so may as well do the fuel filter and lines as well cars booked into get 4 new tyres on tuesday so i hope it starts lol

19 hours ago, m1tch said:

- I have a feeling that it might be the lines and filter -

well i had a look at the fuel filter and was surprised with what i seen

thats bonkers the hose is virtually hanging off.

there does not seem to be any give in the hose

i gave it a light pull but there is no slack there and didnt want to give it a proper tug but as you can see it is poorly fitted and the hose looks suspisous as well and its solid no flex in it.

i primed the fuel before i found this and the car started on second attempt and died so

looks like i will be reading the haynes manual again

is this a big job just to replace that fuel hose.

IMG_20160403_151537405.jpg

IMG_20160403_151526331.jpg

Hmm all of those lines going into the fuel filter should have the clip on connectors - looks like someone might have replaced one of the lines with a rubber line instead which can then start to degrade with the fuel.

When I get a chance I will take a photo of the standard setup - you can see the sort of clip on connectors that should be on there on the other connector in the photo - can you see where this line goes?

Just done a quick Google, you can kinda see from this photo that the lines are all quick disconnect lines, I believe that a new set of correct plastic lines should fix this issue - you can see that the rubber is actually quite perished at the end so it would be letting in quite a bit of air.

DSCF5104.jpg

i have been busy trying to find how to replace hose is this a part of the fuel pump primer assey .

great video i have downloaded and saved bit of a life saver this video i can see everything how it should be

if anyone can say where the other end of this botched hose is attached too or is it the fuel primer pump assey

the haynes manual is quite usless on this one lol

i did nip the clip up with my trusty screwdriver and car is running fine but want to replace that hose as soon as possible  DSCF5104.jpg

Grease Monkey.jpg

IMG_20160403_151537405.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club