Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Identifying locking wheel nuts

Afternoon all

I've a dilemma...since I bought this 2009 mk2 focus I'm finding little issues nearly every day...it's a long story

Anyway I'm tempted to put on a 5 stud set of alloys I took off my Renault laguna last year and this is when I realised I had no jack or wrench for removing the wheels.

Then it struck me......the guy I bought it from never mentioned a locking wheel nut and I cannot find one I the car anywhere.

I had the car in yesterday at my local garage for new pads and discs and they never mentioned one either so I went out today for a look and I can't see what I think would be a locking nut on any wheels.

A couple of nuts on each wheel have screw threads through the centre.....I've never seen this before is this a specific ford version of a locking nut?

All other nuts look standard to me so I'm hoping they are all standard to save me trying to get a proper locking wheel nut from ford, likely at considerable cost knowing ford.

Anyway sorry it's a bit long winded but any help would be greatly appreciated folks

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Pictures would help a lot to give you a decent advice.

Note that renault wheels are usually not a straight fit on a Ford. Both may have a 5 x 108 bolt pattern (depends on the type of Laguna) but the size of the hub bore is different. Ford uses a hub bore of 63.3 mm while Renault uses a hub bore of 60.1 mm. So if your wheels are original Renault wheels they will not fit without machining the hub bore.

Pictures would help a lot to give you a decent advice.

Note that renault wheels are usually not a straight fit on a Ford. Both may have a 5 x 108 bolt pattern (depends on the type of Laguna) but the size of the hub bore is different. Ford uses a hub bore of 63.3 mm while Renault uses a hub bore of 60.1 mm. So if your wheels are original Renault wheels they will not fit without machining the hub bore.

Aftermarket wheels mate. If I remember right they are TSW

I'd need to find my original receipt to find exact specs of the wheels

I'll go and get a pic just now

OK so the standard bolts are 19" so I can get them off ok, but these weird ones although fitting in the 19" wrench it's a bit wobbly.

Can't budge the damn things either.

a35d10b29c3e9b92f3938fdb079781d3.jpgdf1b3afee3bf8000bb98f7b2c614706e.jpg

Aftermarket wheels do often have hub bore adapters to make them fit on several different brands/models of cars. If you are lucky you only need a new set of hub bore adapters that fit the Ford hub bore. TSW wheels have a hub bore of 72 mm if I remember Correctly so these should fit with the correct hub bore adapter.

Be aware that Ford wheel nuts can only be used on original Ford wheels. For the aftermarket wheels you have to use different wheel nuts which are usually supplied with the wheels.

from thr picture it looks like the normal nuts have had the outer chrome caps fallen off, thats why they will be loose fit on 19mm socket

Aftermarket wheels do often have hub bore adapters to make them fit on several different brands/models of cars. If you are lucky you only need a new set of hub bore adapters that fit the Ford hub bore. TSW wheels have a hub bore of 72 mm if I remember Correctly so these should fit with the correct hub bore adapter.

Be aware that Ford wheel nuts can only be used on original Ford wheels. For the aftermarket wheels you have to use different wheel nuts which are usually supplied with the wheels.

Yeah still got the original nuts supplied with the wheels. If they don't fit I'll just buy another set.

It's a few months down the line just now anyway so no major hurry.

More worried about trying to get those strange nuts that are on the car off....I've never seen ones like that before

OK so a bit of googling seems to point to the nuts being M12 x 1.5 open head.

No idea what that means I terms of getting them off right enough 😂

M12 x 1.5 is the hub stub bolt and the wheel is fastened with a 19 mm nut.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

2 hours ago, frazzle121180 said:

OK so the standard bolts are 19" so I can get them off ok, but these weird ones although fitting in the 19" wrench it's a bit wobbly.

These are the original nuts but the stainless steel caps are missing. The stainless steel caps are part of the wheel nut itself and can not be replaced. They are originally crimped ontto the steel wheel nut. Hower many garages, tyre fitters, etc. use air impact wrench to remove the nuts. Using an air impact wrench causes the stainless steel caps to come loose and eventually to fall off. Without the caps a 18 mm socket will fit onto the nut instead of the 19 mm socket.

The only solution to solve this is by replacing the wheel nuts and in the future tightening them by hand using a torque wrench. If these wheel nuts are handled properly they last very long. I still use the original wheel nuts with stainless steel cap from my previous Focus MK2. Even after 11 Years these wheel nuts are still in mint condition.

These are the original nuts but the stainless steel caps are missing. The stainless steel caps are part of the wheel nut itself and can not be replaced. They are originally crimped ontto the steel wheel nut. Hower many garages, tyre fitters, etc. use air impact wrench to remove the nuts. Using an air impact wrench causes the stainless steel caps to come loose and eventually to fall off. Without the caps a 18 mm socket will fit onto the nut instead of the 19 mm socket.

The only solution to solve this is by replacing the wheel nuts and in the future tightening them by hand using a torque wrench. If these wheel nuts are handled properly they last very long. I still use the original wheel nuts with stainless steel cap from my previous Focus MK2. Even after 11 Years these wheel nuts are still in mint condition.

Aaahhh makes total sense now

Guess I best go get an 18mm wrench.

Thanks for your help mate its very much appreciated

fords 2 piece chrome cap wheel nuts are pants , they look awful when the top cap eventually comes away , leaving an awkward size to remove

get some aftermarket ones with a solid nuthead instead

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club