Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Train Spanner

SNC

Hi, 

So about 2 month ago I was making a wide turn at the bottom of a dead end hill to go back up the hill and I did the turn in 2nd and then stayed in second as I went to go up the hill, put my foot down to add power and the car cut out and the yellow spanner came on for about 2 seconds, I had to turn the engine fully off and then back on and the car was fine. It didn't seem to stall it just seemed to cut out, looked in the user manual and it said the symbol was for the power train and said if it stayed on or flashed when I tried to drive off again, take it to a dealer. Anyway the car was perfectly fine after that so I just took it I starved the engine and stalled.

Anyway just got a call from my wife to say she pulled up to some lights engaged the clutch and then the brake to slow down in 2nd and as it came to a stop the engine cut out and got the spanner again for a couple of seconds. Again the car was fine after restarting the engine.

What could this be? has anyone else come across this?

Thanks

Just thought I might add, I do have a bluetooth OBD2 device, is it worth using and whats the best app to diagnose issues?

Thanks

Just thought I might add, I do have a bluetooth OBD2 device, is it worth using and whats the best app to diagnose issues?

Thanks

Chances are it's the wrong type of the system & your OBD unit won't read it

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have had the OBD device working on my Fiesta with the Torque app when I was checking my tuning box was working and adding the HP/Torque/Overboost etc. I'm not sure if that means it will work for error finding and what App to use to read the errors as I've never tried that.

22 minutes ago, SNC said:

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have had the OBD device working on my Fiesta with the Torque app when I was checking my tuning box was working and adding the HP/Torque/Overboost etc. I'm not sure if that means it will work for error finding and what App to use to read the errors as I've never tried that.

There is a free FordSys app which should be able to pull the different codes from the different areas - powertrain, ABS etc, I have the torque pro version of the torque app, but the free version should be able to read the codes.

• Like 1

Well I tried the FordSys App and it found the OBD II but then said it couldn't read the device. So I tried the Torque Pro app and it was fine.

Anyway it said there was no past error codes so I just left it plugged in for a long drive this morning and the spanner came on again when I was slowing down at a petrol station so I got the Torque Pro to read for errors and it found P0107 error code = Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input. Turned off, got fuel and it drove fine for the next 25 miles.

It then did the same thing and same code, when parking up at work so it only seems to happen when your coming to a stop.

The cars fine apart from that, could it be an actual issue or just a sensor messing up?

Could be a bad MAP sensor or perhaps a loose connection to the MAP sensor from a wiring/connector or the vac line - my guess is that the ECU is using the MAP signal when working out the fueling/settings when returning the engine to idle.

i have a bluefin obd device with torque pro and reads all ford codes well as i have tested it and tried it :D 

3 hours ago, m1tch said:

Could be a bad MAP sensor or perhaps a loose connection to the MAP sensor from a wiring/connector or the vac line - my guess is that the ECU is using the MAP signal when working out the fueling/settings when returning the engine to idle.

Thanks for the reply. Could fuel type have anything to do with it at all? The problem first occured a little while after i topped up with a full tank of Shell nitro+ and ive just topped up again with the same stuff. Just want to rule out changing to a higher ron fuel as the issue.

I would highly recommend you click on my guides and then "Got an error on your car". I cant recommend a modified ELM cable and FORSCAN enough!

1 hour ago, jeebowhite said:

I would highly recommend you click on my guides and then "Got an error on your car". I cant recommend a modified ELM cable and FORSCAN enough!

Sorry I'm on my phone at the moment and cant see your footer. What does it actually do? Thanks

modified ELM allows you to access all the Ford protocols, rather than just the general repository. Using Forscan (PC software) you can do comprehensive diagnostics, port monitoring and specific sensor monitoring, along with other things.

Its a fantastic piece of kit, and can also be used with the likes of ELMConfig, though I do not recall if a Fiesta variant exists (I think not).

£15 for the cable, free software, and it is exceptional! I have used it to diagnose airbag errors, and take it in, ended up getting free work done by the auto spark, as I could prepare the car, strip it down, and all he had to do was dive in, do a bit of soldering and tidying, took him ten minutes for a job that would take two hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club